Lune 2021

tenet

Reaction score
I must be behind the times. I’m still fishing wooden devons on the Wye with a multiplier, although I now use plastic covered pencil leads on a paternoster rig rather than wye leads which seem no longer available.
My experiences with the floating devon were on the lower Wye. Have a box full of wooden Devon's together with Wye leads somewhere in the attic.😙

crewesader

Reaction score
I am afraid I have a new form of covid simalar to mad cow disease not long covid mad wet line disease covid as soon as we can and water permitting and access as each year for me is getting harder back and hip I am up where the stone walls stand and the valley's are deep just to be there fish or not, is this a new strain of covid or cabin fever ???
Thank you

Andrew B

Reaction score
I am afraid I have a new form of covid simalar to mad cow disease not long covid mad wet line disease covid as soon as we can and water permitting and access as each year for me is getting harder back and hip I am up where the stone walls stand and the valley's are deep just to be there fish or not, is this a new strain of covid or cabin fever ???
Having worked in the foundry for years, kneeling on a cold concrete floor and lifting moulds that were way to heavy by safety standards. I’ll never forget the words of the old skilled man who trained me? He said “the jobs alright, only it makes funny shapes of us after so many years” 😂
Having a bad back can really get you down imo. My Father who also worked in the foundry has two knee replacements which were a Godsend as both knees were had wrecked cartilage like daggers.

carma2

Reaction score
there are always roda available on the Marl hole- tells its own story
my mate had a rod one day a week for years , gave it up three years ago even though he could then fish it any day he wanted , I went a few times as guest and can see it must have been a great beat before 2013 like the rest of the Lune.
a lot of mid Lune beats that were season ticket type have lost the custom and are not baillifed , this has led to a bit of a free fishing situation , van stops guys get out with spinning rods and fish wherever they want till tlme for van to come back , seen it.
the parked vehicle was always rhe giveaway for chancers so now they dont park anywhere near the river , dont need to with mobile phones.
swimmers , kayakers , thieves , all are contributing to the downward spiral of what is a lovely river and was a great salmon and seatrout river.

crewesader

Reaction score
Any early Sea Trout,... determined to try my first night escaped this year before my body completely packs up.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
With the Eden apparently having a better year last year, why do people think the Lune is getting poor runs of salmon ? There aren't that many big towns in the upper and middle reaches.

carma2

Reaction score
With the Eden apparently having a better year last year, why do people think the Lune is getting poor runs of salmon ? There aren't that many big towns in the upper and middle reaches.
the Lune is probably getting the same sort of run as always until August , then almost magically nothing of any note.
I never fished before the end of July because of the big run of back end fish , then it disappeared , probably into the holds of factory ships.
2012 was the last year we had a back end run .

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Does anyone know which club took on the water that Tebay Anglers lost on left bank below the footbridge?

ed123

Reaction score
Does anyone know which club took on the water that Tebay Anglers lost on left bank below the footbridge?
Not a club - a private individual who has a few stretches including the last bit of what was the Tebay Club section- the end of the wood at Lowgill.

mcminnow

Reaction score
It looks as if the Shap weather website is not working at present. It doesn't seem to have changed for some time now.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
the Lune is probably getting the same sort of run as always until August , then almost magically nothing of any note.
I never fished before the end of July because of the big run of back end fish , then it disappeared , probably into the holds of factory ships.
2012 was the last year we had a back end run .

Like most rivers, it definitely looks as though the back end run on the Lune has dramatically reduced. But the Eden is getting a strong spring/early summer run, it doesn't seem that the Lune is ?

carma2

Reaction score
Like most rivers, it definitely looks as though the back end run on the Lune has dramatically reduced. But the Eden is getting a strong spring/early summer run, it doesn't seem that the Lune is ?
the back end run on the Lune is not dramatically reduced , in 2013 it was probably stolen at sea and is now extinct .
before UDN the Lune and the Eden were great spring rivers , the Eden has recovered better than the Lune but the Lune also had a strong back end run that the Eden didnt have .
I used to fish at Lazonby pre UDN in spring and it was full of salmon , I gave up going in 1973 but never fished the Lune in spring.

mastercaster

Reaction score
Not a club - a private individual who has a few stretches including the last bit of what was the Tebay Club section- the end of the wood at Lowgill.
damn shame that TAA have lost the east bank of the Sheds stretch between the footbridge and motorway bridge above Lunes Bridge. Best peice of fly water we have IMHO :(

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
damn shame that TAA have lost the east bank of the Sheds stretch between the footbridge and motorway bridge above Lunes Bridge. Best peice of fly water we have IMHO :(
Totally agree.
The top half of the sheds was my favourite night fishing place.

laird of aros

Reaction score
When did this happen?? I haven't heard anything and the website tells us nothing! What is the reason? Belting stretch of fly water! Its no wonder that members are falling every year if we keep letting prime stretches go!!