Lune 2021

Sawyer

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how deep the fish were that we see in pictures from times gone by, even my Wife commented whist watching the Hardy film on DVD over Xmas how different the fish were then as opposed to the ones I catch now.

crewesader

Reaction score
Dave like most of us around 50 we always fished the back end especially as ì was from Tebay Orton, I noticed last year though I had one and lost one in late September low down, there were posts last season implying the fish arrived May June July does anyone feel I should put a bigger effort in around that time I have a 250 mile round trip to wet a line. I am hoping for a little advice as facts about Salmon on the Lune have gone ski whiff, though my home is in the Howgills in piss pot alley (Fayre Mile and above the beautiful Lunes Bridge) I am prepared to fish lower down on a industrial estate its just not the same!! Well do we think they are sneaking past us earlier or did the water have an effect last season, even guesses gut feelings or actual sightings and catches would help my holiday day choices from work. Thanks in advance if anyone is prepared to put there noggin above the parapet in public D.Ms welcome Lez.

dave_n

Reaction score
Hi Lez,
I personally think that most of the fish come in and july and august, may and june for the ST.
Lower down is not too bad mate...all the beats down to Lansil are picture postcard and like you say, it's not all about catching (it can't be on the Lune!!)
The ski wiff part is the lack of fish and knowing when they will arrive doesn't necessarily mean you're in with a better chance.
I think last year the water was good for them and they got up fairly quickly and I expected you piss pot alley boys to have some good results.

What you need to do is move closer to the river...crewe is too far away for a salmon angler :)

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how deep the fish were that we see in pictures from times gone by, even my Wife commented whist watching the Hardy film on DVD over Xmas how different the fish were then as opposed to the ones I catch now.
Yes I’m guessing they would be even different to Ribble fish? Again I’m only guessing but I would say some of these Deep bodied muscled fish would be determined by the size and flow of river perhaps? You think about the Lune at Kirby Lonsdale and that’s some powerful stuff there.
Different river but on the Conwy in North Wales, never much of a spring river? It was stocked a very long time ago with eyed ova and parr from Thurso fish and to this day the odd early deep bodied Thurso looking fish gets caught.

Makes you wonder what was lost with UDN?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Having had a few bad years in Wales I’m keen to try the Lune this year, more for the sea trout than anything as I’m not very good at salmon fishing.
Was hoping you could get weekly tickets on the Lancaster stretch but fifteen bats ain’t bad for a few recce’s while I try a caravan site within walking distance of their waters?

Andrew B

Reaction score
For a day ticket there is a lot of water to go at
There are also a couple of caravan places right next to the beat
see here
Yes I thought so and as I live in Colne Lancashire it’s more than doable for either a weekend or even better a week.
If I like it, I’d be up for getting a season ticket if they’re available?
Other than that finding day tickets on the rest of the river seems a bit sketchy? I’m well into the sound of Tebay for the seatrout come summer but the caravan site looks to be right next to the busy road.
Not sure about the Wenning as something worth trying or not and then the only other place I can think of that also has caravan sites is Sedburgh anglers water?
I’d love to know if anyone has fished Sedburgh club waters as I can’t get my head around their virtually non salmon and sea trout returns as one would of thought that section of the Lune where the Rawthey enters would be a natural place for migratory fish and anglers.

dave_n

Reaction score
Lancaster have a waiting list currently. Not sure about Kirby Lonsdale (barbonboy will know). Tebay is open at the moment I think. Prince Albert has a good section of the Wenning. Not sure about Sedburgh but they have some lovely water too.
If you're after ST then the Lune and Wenning has them in numbers throughout from June onwards.
I've been a member of Kirby, Tebay and LDAA - all are well run clubs with some wonderful water for all methods.

onelastcast

Reaction score
Mr Haythornthwaie 's 45lb April fish seems to be the largest rod caught fish I can find but a number of 50lb + fish have been recorded as caught by the netsmen and a fair number of 40lb +fish again by the nets. During the 1909 season in August over 2 consecutive days the nets took fish of 42,41,41,38,38,37and 36lbs a pitty they did not make it to the river.Any size of fresh fish in April would please me these days onelastcast

Last edited:

luney

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Anyone heard of the Lunes catch return for last season? I cant seem to find anything. Maybe they haven't released figures yet?
Regards Paul

scagit

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Anyone heard of the Lunes catch return for last season? I cant seem to find anything. Maybe they haven't released figures yet?
Regards Paul
I don't think they are out yet, the last one I found was 2019 with the recorded Lune rod caught Salmon catch of 255 for 2019.

Last edited:

long Preston

Reaction score
Hi Lez,
I personally think that most of the fish come in and july and august, may and june for the ST.
Lower down is not too bad mate...all the beats down to Lansil are picture postcard and like you say, it's not all about catching (it can't be on the Lune!!)
The ski wiff part is the lack of fish and knowing when they will arrive doesn't necessarily mean you're in with a better chance.
I think last year the water was good for them and they got up fairly quickly and I expected you piss pot alley boys to have some good results.

What you need to do is move closer to the river...crewe is too far away for a salmon angler :)
I think you are right its May to August for the main run now with very little following behind. nothing like the numbers of yesteryear

HARDYBOY

Reaction score
Hi Guys, hoping someone on here can help.
I'm looking for a 2021 syndicate rod on the Lune, somewhere below Kirkby Lonsdale, I have previously fished above Underley Hall at Casterton, alas no longer available. I walked the stretch below Loyne Bridge @ Gressingham that was advertised in T&S on Sunday & I am waiting to hear back from Whittington Estate. Ideally I would like a stretch with good fly water & easy access from the car if possible.

Many Thanks in advance

long Preston

Reaction score
Thanks Barbon Boy, I saw a nice stretch just below the Gressingham beat, near Sandbed Farm Caravan & Camping site, had parking & a hut
roda available from trout and salmon- Marl hole fishing between gressinhgham bridge and the top end of Southport fly fishing stretch-just above wenning foot

crewesader

Reaction score
Hi Lez,

I am thinking of moving back the reason I love the Lune is I was born in kendal but lived in Orton, I moved away at 10 but spent my summer holidays at my nans fishing the beautiful Tebay stretch now it's easier to work from home its more realistic. Thanks for the advice and I will be adjusting my trips to fish further down accordingly 🤔

crewesader

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm thinking of trying a sinking Devon Minnow on the LDAA stretch of the Lune this season. Don't know anything about how to use them and they seem to have gone out of fashion? Basically I have seen reference on here to using them much like a fly or spoon - across and downstream?

Can anyone advise on sizes and colours etc to be using?
Does it change depending what time of season / river height etc?
I to could do with some advice, even the best swivels just leave my line in a twisted mess ??

tenet

Reaction score
Don't know about a sinking Devon but we used to use floating Devon's below a Wye lead and ball bearing swivels. Never a problem but we used multipliers not fixed spool which can sometimes cause line twist.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lancaster have a waiting list currently. Not sure about Kirby Lonsdale (barbonboy will know). Tebay is open at the moment I think. Prince Albert has a good section of the Wenning. Not sure about Sedburgh but they have some lovely water too.
If you're after ST then the Lune and Wenning has them in numbers throughout from June onwards.
I've been a member of Kirby, Tebay and LDAA - all are well run clubs with some wonderful water for all methods.
My apologies for late reply as I’ve only just seen your most helpful post? Shame about Lancaster waiting list but for fifteen bats for a day or night ticket I could at least choose according to conditions. Kirby don’t do day or weekly tickets as I understand?

Richardgw

Reaction score
Don't know about a sinking Devon but we used to use floating Devon's below a Wye lead and ball bearing swivels. Never a problem but we used multipliers not fixed spool which can sometimes cause line twist.
I must be behind the times. I’m still fishing wooden devons on the Wye with a multiplier, although I now use plastic covered pencil leads on a paternoster rig rather than wye leads which seem no longer available.