Lune 2021

mastercaster

Reaction score
Any reports of catches on the Lune? I have been told from a good mate that stopped off at Hornby weir on the wenning on Wednesday for half an hour counted over 20 salmon get over of all colours and sizes, one more rise and they will be on my stretch but unfortunately no more rain forecast till the 15th, and then I can imagine the river being full of leaves but we will have to see.
Very little up top Col, an odd fish dotted around in some of the holding pools but no discernible head of fish thats for sure. Seems to be a good number of seatrout knocking about which I suppose is a positive.
Fished for most of the afternoon on what was near perfect water, nothing seen nor touched. Mate of mine had a couple of offers this morning but again that was pretty much it. If there is fish in the Lune they haven't arrived yet at Tebay. Weather forecast at this point doesn't look promising for another lift this week, time is running out :(

Tahargreaves

Reaction score
Any reports of catches on the Lune? I have been told from a good mate that stopped off at Hornby weir on the wenning on Wednesday for half an hour counted over 20 salmon get over of all colours and sizes, one more rise and they will be on my stretch but unfortunately no more rain forecast till the 15th, and then I can imagine the river being full of leaves but we will have to see.
I had a very coloured grilse yesterday at Caton but didn't see any fish moving at all. The water was a lovely colour and height for the fly though, and there were quite a few anglers on the bank. I had to leave early so not sure how they did.

laird of aros

Reaction score
I spent 6 hrs from 1st light on Friday up at Tebay fishing nigh on perfect water. One sea trout of about a pound and a half and one other tentative offer. Didn't see anything running at all. Never seen water at such a good height with a distinct lack of salmon. The more worrying thing is that with so few fish being caught lower down I don't have any hope at all for the last few weeks. Major disappointment of a season and it seems the other North West rivers are having the same problems.

barbonboy

Reaction score
Had a few hours out, this morning, managed this.
IMG20211011083634.jpg
IMG20211011083634.jpg

fishless26

Reaction score
If my calculations are right with thinking in terms of river miles from the sea to where I have heard a good number on the wenning were seen, then I would think mid lune beats will be favourable and the best chance at the moment, unless most have shot up the wenning but I doubt that, another rise or two would be nice about now.

fishless26

Reaction score
Looks like rain till the end of the season now, Tuesday seems the heaviest of the rain.... just hope its calm and barely a leaf in the water

Andrew B

Reaction score
Not sure why the Lune thread evaded me lol. Anyway just to report that last Sunday when I was on the Ribble and got talking to a father and son team who clearly knew their stuff and rivers? The father did mention to me that, there had been quite a few on the EA beat at the Crook of Lune. I’m guessing he was talking about last the Friday and Saturday where I’m sure he said there was eight caught on one day? Not major numbers for that place but still it’s more than anything I’ve heard from the Ribble?

dave_n

Reaction score
Not sure why the Lune thread evaded me lol. Anyway just to report that last Sunday when I was on the Ribble and got talking to a father and son team who clearly knew their stuff and rivers? The father did mention to me that, there had been quite a few on the EA beat at the Crook of Lune. I’m guessing he was talking about last the Friday and Saturday where I’m sure he said there was eight caught on one day? Not major numbers for that place but still it’s more than anything I’ve heard from the Ribble?
Heard rumours but not reliably confirmed.....hope it's true for some lucky anglers. At this rate spotting a fish is an event!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Heard rumours but not reliably confirmed.....hope it's true for some lucky anglers. At this rate spotting a fish is an event!
Lol I know what you mean. I’m sure he said the beats bailiff had told him so it did sound legit.
Spent some time with the guy as he said he couldn’t get through the fallen path on the Ribble EA beat down to Hodder foot so he was literally stuck on the first section and was hoping to intercept some traveling fish on the perfect water?

He knew the Lune well as far up as the top of the river but he said his favourite river until he noticed how much sewage was going in, was the river Kent and the Sprint.
After reading some positive reports a few years ago about fish using some new places around Clapham to Spawn? Can only hope that however many fish there are, can spawn successfully.

Warwick I

Reaction score
Fished above KL this morning on a lovely fly water no fish showed, I was kept on my toes with very active Trout pulling at the Salmon fly's.

mastercaster

Reaction score
Not quite the rain we were promised today, river will likely come to 2 ft later but we could have done with a banker