Lune 2021

davestocker

Reaction score
Largest Lune Salmon, by rod or by net, anyone? Found a pic of Mac Martin with his 38 lb springer caught in '66, posted it on local social media. Lots of interest and the inevitable 'has there been bigger?' question has been asked.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Largest Lune Salmon, by rod or by net, anyone? Found a pic of Mac Martin with his 38 lb springer caught in '66, posted it on local social media. Lots of interest and the inevitable 'has there been bigger?' question has been asked.
There is no mention of the Lune in Fred Buller’s two volumes of the Domesday Book of Giant Salmon. These lists 60 lb’ers caught by any means and fly caught 50 lb’ers.

Elibank

Reaction score
Hi Dave, could you post it on here please?

davestocker

Reaction score
Good Friday, 1966. From the Marl Water, Gressingham. Picture taken outside Peter Bagnall's tackle shop in Morecambe, allegedly.

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_162751.jpg
    IMG_20210120_162751.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 235

Swordfish

Reaction score
That photo of Mac brings back some clear and happy memories. We knew Mac very well, he was a carpet fitter by trade. He called in at our home - I was a boy at the time - on his way back from the river with the fish in the boot of his car - which it filled! In the corner of its mouth was one of Mac's devon minnow mounts. When Mac left, I remember my father saying to me "well, we know what he didn't catch it on", the clear implication being that it had been caught on shrimp or worm. That isn't to take anything away from Mac. He was a superb angler and could catch fish using any method that was available to him. I fished with Mac as a boy and he taught me a great deal - he always seemed able to catch fish - even when others couldn't. I could spend a long time telling tales about great times spent with Mac, but this perhaps isn't the place. He was a brilliant fly-tyer and caster. He was also a very fit bloke and a first class swimmer and diver - he was one of the Aqualunies that used to put on diving displays at the old Morecambe baths.
Regarding big fish, Mac always claimed his fish was the Lune record springer. It was a cracking fish, but not the best. That was caught at Halton rocks on 7 April 1917 by a Mr Haythornthwaite and it was taken on fly. What a fish that must have been! A few other forty pounders were taken on the rod up to the 1950s. Bobby Parkinson told me his father, George, caught one during the war on what was then the Claughton Brickworks water (now part of Lancaster Anglers Claughton section). It was an October fish. He had tackled up and threw his minnow a few yards out to check it was spinning properly. The fish rose and took the minnow. It was landed half an hour later and weighed 42lbs - as easy as that! Mrs Mary Barton also told me about a 40 pounder caught on the Brickworks water by the keeper, Ernest Broomfield before the war. This was a springer and it was so cold the line was freezing in the rings when the fish was being played. As a consequence, Ernest had to do a lot of running about! Apparently, Ernest used to talk about the fish a lot, but Mary said they didn't take a great deal of notice because a forty pounder, although not common, wasn't such an unusual fish at the time. The biggest Lune fish was caught in the nets on 2 July 1903 by Mr Bell at Snatchems and weighed 57lbs - yes, 57lbs!. A 51lb fish was caught in 1904 along with others of 48 and two at 42lbs and in 1923 Mr Bagot had a 52lb fish on 14 June. These were all net-caught fish. The last Lune 40 pounder was caught in the nets in 1966. The following winter the disease struck and the rest, as they say, is history. Incidentally, going back to Mac's fish; the fish - or one very similar - had been seen jumping several times on Lancaster Anglers' various waters as it made its way upstream, but Mac knew where it would settle! The Marl Hole was probably the best holding pool on the river in those days.

Andrew B

Reaction score
That photo of Mac brings back some clear and happy memories. We knew Mac very well, he was a carpet fitter by trade. He called in at our home - I was a boy at the time - on his way back from the river with the fish in the boot of his car - which it filled! In the corner of its mouth was one of Mac's devon minnow mounts. When Mac left, I remember my father saying to me "well, we know what he didn't catch it on", the clear implication being that it had been caught on shrimp or worm. That isn't to take anything away from Mac. He was a superb angler and could catch fish using any method that was available to him. I fished with Mac as a boy and he taught me a great deal - he always seemed able to catch fish - even when others couldn't. I could spend a long time telling tales about great times spent with Mac, but this perhaps isn't the place. He was a brilliant fly-tyer and caster. He was also a very fit bloke and a first class swimmer and diver - he was one of the Aqualunies that used to put on diving displays at the old Morecambe baths.
Regarding big fish, Mac always claimed his fish was the Lune record springer. It was a cracking fish, but not the best. That was caught at Halton rocks on 7 April 1917 by a Mr Haythornthwaite and it was taken on fly. What a fish that must have been! A few other forty pounders were taken on the rod up to the 1950s. Bobby Parkinson told me his father, George, caught one during the war on what was then the Claughton Brickworks water (now part of Lancaster Anglers Claughton section). It was an October fish. He had tackled up and threw his minnow a few yards out to check it was spinning properly. The fish rose and took the minnow. It was landed half an hour later and weighed 42lbs - as easy as that! Mrs Mary Barton also told me about a 40 pounder caught on the Brickworks water by the keeper, Ernest Broomfield before the war. This was a springer and it was so cold the line was freezing in the rings when the fish was being played. As a consequence, Ernest had to do a lot of running about! Apparently, Ernest used to talk about the fish a lot, but Mary said they didn't take a great deal of notice because a forty pounder, although not common, wasn't such an unusual fish at the time. The biggest Lune fish was caught in the nets on 2 July 1903 by Mr Bell at Snatchems and weighed 57lbs - yes, 57lbs!. A 51lb fish was caught in 1904 along with others of 48 and two at 42lbs and in 1923 Mr Bagot had a 52lb fish on 14 June. These were all net-caught fish. The last Lune 40 pounder was caught in the nets in 1966. The following winter the disease struck and the rest, as they say, is history. Incidentally, going back to Mac's fish; the fish - or one very similar - had been seen jumping several times on Lancaster Anglers' various waters as it made its way upstream, but Mac knew where it would settle! The Marl Hole was probably the best holding pool on the river in those days.
What a great story. Looks like a really clean deep bodied fish with either a gaff mark or some other kind of injury?

Andrew B

Reaction score
I don’t think those of us who were born after the UDN can really appreciate what it must of been like? Different river but about ten years ago I was on a recce of a small river called the Walkham in Devon and I met this really cool old lady who told me about seeing so many big dying salmon in May on a river that no longer has any springers.
Back to the Lune as a Kid I had a bunch of fishing Annuals from the sixties that were done by the Anglers Mail and the Lune was always in those pages not just as the North’s premier Salmon river but as really good trout river that had trout of a high average size?

Elibank

Reaction score
Arthur Oglesby and Reg Righyni featured the Lune regularly in their books and articles in the seventies and eighties, most of the photos were of the Newton (?) beat, of which Reg was the tenant, I believe.

kendalgreen

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm thinking of trying a sinking Devon Minnow on the LDAA stretch of the Lune this season. Don't know anything about how to use them and they seem to have gone out of fashion? Basically I have seen reference on here to using them much like a fly or spoon - across and downstream?

Can anyone advise on sizes and colours etc to be using?
Does it change depending what time of season / river height etc?