LPXe 15' 10/11 Line recommendations

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I've just got myself a used one of these rods from John Norris so now I'm looking for SH line recommendations. I can see from previous posts that most agree the Guideline heads work really well. I was looking at the 4d multi tip but by the time you buy the head at £68 and three or four tips at £32 a piece plus postage you've spent some serious money and thats not even including a running line! I don't mind paying for quality but come on........
I cant find one of the older Guideline Scandi heads with triple D that were on special in a few places.
I bought a John Norris Atlantic integrated line at £20 because it would be rude not to at that price.

paddymc

Reaction score
I've just got myself a used one of these rods from John Norris so now I'm looking for SH line recommendations. I can see from previous posts that most agree the Guideline heads work really well. I was looking at the 4d multi tip but by the time you buy the head at £68 and three or four tips at £32 a piece plus postage you've spent some serious money and thats not even including a running line! I don't mind paying for quality but come on........
I cant find one of the older Guideline Scandi heads with triple D that were on special in a few places.
I bought a John Norris Atlantic integrated line at £20 because it would be rude not to at that price.
42g Afs and pouch of 10’ airflo polys (y)

simoncassidy

Reaction score
If you dont want to buy the 4Ds you could get a floating 660gr Airflo Rage and a 660gr Hover Intermediate Rage and a spool of 35lb Shock leader for running line above lines will turn over 15ft tips if you have them or polyleaders and everything from wee doubles to copper tubes. They will fly on the 15ft Lpxe and cover every depth from Spring to Autumn.
You should get everything above for less than £100

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
That's not a bad shout Simon although I've plenty of running lines already. I've never used the Rage lines before. Anybdy used them with the 15' LPXe?

Mattytree

Reaction score
That's not a bad shout Simon although I've plenty of running lines already. I've never used the Rage lines before. Anybdy used them with the 15' LPXe?
Usually I hate rage lines but had a cast with a 15ft lpxe this week that was matched with one and it flew , I am currently deciding what to sell to buy that set up !

Rennie

Reaction score
Free at last!.
Right, 'ere we go then!.The 15ft LPXe is a shooting head rod thats about as good as it gets!, from the off it's not best suited to Skagit, it will handle full length floaters in mid belly just fine.Being Scandinavian designed it will cope with anything Salmon fishing can chuck at you, from floaters and wee flee's to the fastest sinking heads, big flee's n 'ooks and above all dirty gurt big Scandi Salmon, so I wouldn't worry about anything the UK chucks at you!.
Now mines the original 3 piece V1 model. I use mine with the original power tapers- they were designed together and are perfectly suited- from floating up to sink 3/4, I've seen no reason to change them!. I also use 3D heads, the DDC Multi tip system and the Scandi 3D heads.
I understand where you're coming from with the 4D system!, the price is a bit heavy, ouch!.
Basically if it says Guideline on the box and its a shooting head, it'll go like stink!.
The Guideline heads in general are all designed to be used with polys and to be as useful in as many circumstances as possible, with my power taper floater I can comfortably chuck a 2" copper tube and LSR24 poly. if needed, might not want to, but it'll do it!.
The AFS, is a great head, but it's orientated towards smaller flee's and top of the water presentation, not quite as much an allrounder as the Guideline heads!- worth thinking about.
I prefer 40 to 42 g on my rod, I like to generate line speed rather than feel a rod deeply loading. Ive got the 44g Mackenzie heads, but prefer them on my 16ft LPXe, on the 15 it loads too deeply for my liking!.
Now if brass is an issue, search Ebay for the DDC multi tip in 10/11, that I can heartily recommend, then any of the power taper Dual Density sinkers.You should see those in both short cuts and long cuts, either will do anything you want them to.The Hover/Inty, Inty/S1, S1/S2 and S2/S3 are all top notch bits of kit, use 10ft polys on the front.
For a new Multi tip kit, try Scandinavian Flylines, their kit is cheap and vastly underated!, or the Greys multi tip set up.
If you're going to buy one new line then the new Guideline floater is the one to buy, off that rod it'll do any thing you want!
Of course my word's not gospel, but it'll maybe give you a starter for 10 as it were.
I don't use a Rage off my 15fter, but do on my 13fter and it abso lutely flies, but it needs at least a 10ft poly and is better with a 15ft poly.
Hope you enjoy your rod, it really is a class bit of kit!.
Pedro.

westie4566

Reaction score
Firstly, I agree with all that Rennie says above. I also use the DDC system and 3d heads on my 15'Lpxe.

I also have a 660gr Rage that just flies off it. Rage heads seem to suit the Lpxe range as I also have a range of them for my 13' Lpxe. They are indeed a match made in heaven with 10-15ft Polys on the business end.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Free at last!.
Right, 'ere we go then!.The 15ft LPXe is a shooting head rod thats about as good as it gets!, from the off it's not best suited to Skagit, it will handle full length floaters in mid belly just fine.Being Scandinavian designed it will cope with anything Salmon fishing can chuck at you, from floaters and wee flee's to the fastest sinking heads, big flee's n 'ooks and above all dirty gurt big Scandi Salmon, so I wouldn't worry about anything the UK chucks at you!.
Now mines the original 3 piece V1 model. I use mine with the original power tapers- they were designed together and are perfectly suited- from floating up to sink 3/4, I've seen no reason to change them!. I also use 3D heads, the DDC Multi tip system and the Scandi 3D heads.
I understand where you're coming from with the 4D system!, the price is a bit heavy, ouch!.
Basically if it says Guideline on the box and its a shooting head, it'll go like stink!.
The Guideline heads in general are all designed to be used with polys and to be as useful in as many circumstances as possible, with my power taper floater I can comfortably chuck a 2" copper tube and LSR24 poly. if needed, might not want to, but it'll do it!.
The AFS, is a great head, but it's orientated towards smaller flee's and top of the water presentation, not quite as much an allrounder as the Guideline heads!- worth thinking about.
I prefer 40 to 42 g on my rod, I like to generate line speed rather than feel a rod deeply loading. Ive got the 44g Mackenzie heads, but prefer them on my 16ft LPXe, on the 15 it loads too deeply for my liking!.
Now if brass is an issue, search Ebay for the DDC multi tip in 10/11, that I can heartily recommend, then any of the power taper Dual Density sinkers.You should see those in both short cuts and long cuts, either will do anything you want them to.The Hover/Inty, Inty/S1, S1/S2 and S2/S3 are all top notch bits of kit, use 10ft polys on the front.
For a new Multi tip kit, try Scandinavian Flylines, their kit is cheap and vastly underated!, or the Greys multi tip set up.
If you're going to buy one new line then the new Guideline floater is the one to buy, off that rod it'll do any thing you want!
Of course my word's not gospel, but it'll maybe give you a starter for 10 as it were.
I don't use a Rage off my 15fter, but do on my 13fter and it abso lutely flies, but it needs at least a 10ft poly and is better with a 15ft poly.
Hope you enjoy your rod, it really is a class bit of kit!.
Pedro.
Thanks for all the advice fellas, plenty to mull over there!
Pedro, I might be being a bit thick here but which is "the new Guideline floater", I cant see one on their website that is fully floating in 10/11??

phil.b

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice fellas, plenty to mull over there!
Pedro, I might be being a bit thick here but which is "the new Guideline floater", I cant see one on their website that is fully floating in 10/11??
The evolve , the best floater guideline have made .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
The evolve , the best floater guideline have made .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah I've got it now, thanks Phil. For some reason I thought that was a saltwater line! What do you use it with i.e. poly leaders, light/heavy flies etc?

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Firstly, I agree with all that Rennie says above. I also use the DDC system and 3d heads on my 15'Lpxe.

I also have a 660gr Rage that just flies off it. Rage heads seem to suit the Lpxe range as I also have a range of them for my 13' Lpxe. They are indeed a match made in heaven with 10-15ft Polys on the business end.
Is that the Rage or Rage compact?

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
After all the good advice, I've now ordered a Guideline PT Evolve SH 10/11 43g/660gr full floater (£64.37 direct from Guideline) and on the basis that the John Norris Ni1 10/11 660gr seems to be virtually the same as the Rage but cheaper (£19.99), I've ordered one of those too.... and a few new Airflo polyleaders. That should be most bases covered now, I just need to get home and out fishing to use them all!