Lower Beauly

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Every year I find myself up in the Highlands for my mates birthday and this year was no different.
We managed to get two days on the Lower Beauly for less money than normal, with the Friday on the Falls Beat and Saturday on the Home beat. I had fished Falls last year in a heatwave with lots of fish showing but not interested in anything I, or anyone else, was throwing at them.

Fourth cast on the Glide above the road bridge had me in to a 2lb sea trout which took the pressure off.
Nothing much until after lunch when we rowed out to the island. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Falls beat, it is the one right at Kilmorack dam and there is an island right in front of the dam. The water round it is seriously deep and getting from the boat to dry land can be good fun! You then have to sneak up the right side of the island until you reach the tip that forces the water round each side. From there you do a short 10' cast out in to the stream and wait. The next cast is 15' and so on. This is how close to the dam you are.
Hamish Kilmorack.jpg

Cast number four went tight and the line ripped off the reel! You then have to scramble up on to the high point and play the fish and try to guide it to the one spot that the landing net can be used.
Playing.jpg
All this time the silver beastie was spending a lot of time in the air and really testing my 12' #7 but after a bit things settled down and I managed to draw it over the net. This is the net that lives on the island and has been there for some time. Fish in net, net lifted and then the net and the handle parted company. The fish swam out of the net still hooked, the handle went over my mates shoulder and he scrambled down to the water and grabbed the net before it sank in to the depths. The fish was guided back in the net scooped him up and much relief was had by all.
Not my biggest but my first of the year and very, very welcome.
Beauly Beauty.jpg

The rest of the trip was some of the finest pools that I have ever been through but all I got was another pretty sea trout around 1.5lbs.
There were lots of fish running and showing, a few of which had half hearted goes or chases at my flies. I had one good pull in the Castle pool but I didn't connect.
All in all it was an epic two days that has finally ended my Lower Beauly jinx. I cannot recommend the beat highly enough so keep an eye on Fishpal.

Euan

Genty

Reaction score
My favourite stretch of water of all time, and whilst the Falls beat is the most productive, both Home and Downie beats have lovely pools, and also give first class fishing at the right time of year, often at extremely competitive rates. Also the 3 ghillies, Willie, John and Brendan are without amongst the very best and friendliest that I have ever met.

I am fortunate in the fact that I get an invite from a friend most years who has 3 rods in prime time, week 25, sometimes for 3 days, and if I am most fortunate, occasionally for the whole week.

This year unfortunately, I will not be going, as quite rightly he shares his rods around between family and friends, but as I absolutely love fishing all 3 beats, I grabbed myself 3 days a couple of weeks ago 22nd -24th June. Unfortunately this coincided with very low water conditions and some really strong to gale force wind conditions, especially on Saturday 24th, when it blew at a steady 35-40 mph all day, with gusts approaching around 50-60mph, one of which completely knocked me over.

I have never, ever fly fished in winds as strong as that before, and at one sage it was so strong, that having had to resort to using a 660grain Rage head, I cast out, and whilst the main belly landed across the surface OK, the front taper, including the slow sink polyleader and tippet were just held straight up in the air by the wind, with the fly swinging around above just as if I was flying a kite.....Notwithstanding this, and the fact that I had just one sea trout for my 3 days, I fished from a full 9 hours each day, and can't wait to get back up there again.

Brian

Soundmixer

Reaction score
Coudn't agree more about the Ghillies Brian, they are top notch.
John and Willies father is the ghillie on the Upper Beauly and if you meet him, you will see where the sons get their professionalism from.
I agree about the Fall being the most productive but Silver and Castle Hill on the Home beat is my idea of the perfect fly water. Fishing Castle until almost dark on the Saturday had me leaving utterly at peace with the world, despite the fact that I was knackered!

Euan

Genty

Reaction score
I know EXACTLY how you felt, and but for the fact that i had my better half up with me doing her own thing during the day and coming to pick me up at around 6pm each evening (stretched it to around 7pm a couple of times,) to get ready for the compulsory dining out in the evening thing, I would probably have carried on till dark!

Agree entirely that both Home and Downie actually have better looking fly water than the falls, and they are certainly both more comfortable on the feet when wading, and whilst I rate both the Silver Run and Castle Hill very highly, my own favourite on the Home beat is the Old Jetty.

The Island Run, Priest, and in high water the Minister Pool are undoubtedly my favourites on Downie......Have to stop all this, as I am getting withdrawal symptoms!!!!!

Brian

squimp

Reaction score
Your pictures bring back fond memories.

I caught my first ever salmon on fly on the Lower Beauly; an unexpected evening invite whilst on a casting course on the Upper river.

It was also a delight to meet Willie Matheson and learn about his Sheila fly pattern.

greenspey

Reaction score
Great report. I caught my first salmon there many years ago and last time I was there had a grilse from the island you mention, skating a cascade over the pool. It really is a magical, exciting beat.

Oscar

Reaction score
Cracking, although that water looks quite scary!

One for the lifejacket I reckon!!

Oscar.

Wolds salmon

Reaction score
Great photos. We were on the party in front of you in the rotation. Had some good fishing on Fri but testing before then. Couldn't get them to stick on. Had a good few grilse, lots of sea trout and a couple of nice salmon at 17lb. Mine went metal from the old jetty on home bean and was landed at bottom of silver run. Great fun week.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Genty

Reaction score
Your pictures bring back fond memories.

I caught my first ever salmon on fly on the Lower Beauly; an unexpected evening invite whilst on a casting course on the Upper river.

It was also a delight to meet Willie Matheson and learn about his Sheila fly pattern.

I bet you never caught it on one of those Avalon variants though.

Brian

squimp

Reaction score
I bet you never caught it on one of those Avalon variants though.

Brian

It was a while ago Brian. The Avalon hadn't even been dreamt of !

We did tie some big purple versions for Nicaragua earlier this year.........

Reaction score
A lovely fish and a good telling too. Looks and sounds like a lovely stretch of river. Here's hoping I get there one day...