Low water - no hope?

Cascade91

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I hope no one minds me asking for some advice on my first post - I’m off to the lower Tay (think bottom-ish Tay) next week and I’ve just looked at the catches, river levels, temp and forecast. Part of me is always hopeful as I only get to go this week each year but another part of me thinks - it’s a lost cause - with only five fish caught today. Do you think it’s worth the trip from the south? I suppose it could all change later in the week

reelit1

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I hope no one minds me asking for some advice on my first post - I’m off to the lower Tay (think bottom-ish Tay) next week and I’ve just looked at the catches, river levels, temp and forecast. Part of me is always hopeful as I only get to go this week each year but another part of me thinks - it’s a lost cause - with only five fish caught today. Do you think it’s worth the trip from the south? I suppose it could all change later in the week
Think confidence, play the conditions, think small, think deep, small tubes, small doubles, Francis flies, small sunray shadows, change your technique light lines, use tips to up or down, fine and far off leaders on or just below the surface, shorter leaders when going down deep. If you can do that your in with a chance, it's called fishing for a reason, Tight Lines !

Piker20

Reaction score
You never know. One good day of rain and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.
Stays dry and you can at least top up the tan.

Elibank

Reaction score
Hi everyone

It’s more of a lost cause if you don’t rock up and fish

MCXFisher

Reaction score
If you're fishing on the lower reaches of any of the big rivers, low water and high temperatures can work in your favour by concentrating fish in specific lies, so don't despair. I'm not a Tay expert, far from it, but I was talking to one last week who remarked that the catches displayed on FishPal are acutely affected by the quality of the teams fishing the premium beats in any particular week, so it's up to you to show them the way home! In my view it's always worth the trip, especially if you're going to a river as good as the Tay. If you were going to a northern spate river on its bones with no rain forecast for a fortnight, it might be a different matter, but you lucky chap, this is the Tay, so be of good heart. Tight lines and listen closely to everything the ghillie tells you.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Lower Tay is the best place to be for a chance of a fish just now. Big fresh proper fish too. You pay big bucks to fish there this time of year for a reason.

Andrew B

Reaction score
So long as it’s not a spate river, which the Tay isn’t you’ve every chance of catching something esp on the lower Tay.
Also remember it’s on the East coast so the fish don’t have the sun as on West coast rivers?

Rennie

Reaction score
1st week of Sept., low water, fishing on the Lower Tay, why do you doubt yourself or your chances?.Out of interest, which beat are you on?
Pedro.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
My lower river reporter is saying very few fish coming in now. However, you will always have a chance if you drown worms or chuck some metalware about. As Rennie asked, what beat are you on?

neilt

Reaction score
Yes you should fish.
It’s a great bit and best chance of a fresh one is the Lower Tay.
It’s sad how few there are though.
But it is a great cast - even this low.
Fish early and late and also around the tide times - allowing for where you are.

tenet

Reaction score
Thank your lucky stars that your not on Thurso. No water since early May. It was bad when I was up there in early June so this weeks rods must be giving serious consideration about making the journey - there again they can visit the Castle of Mey or go trouting or sea fishing

GeeBee

Reaction score
There is always chance of a fish - in low water fish early and late using the techniques described above. Likewise there is in high dirty water.

I would also add, If the beat allows it - and they absolutely should, fish at dawn. Try close in, and don't wade until you have thoroughly covered the shallow water, particularly on the inside of bends and below weirs, fast runs etc.

reelit1

Reaction score
Thank your lucky stars that your not on Thurso. No water since early May. It was bad when I was up there in early June so this weeks rods must be giving serious consideration about making the journey - there again they can visit the Castle of Mey or go trouting or sea fishing
I had a guest who took a trip to the Castle of Mey and missed a red letter day in the middle of a drought, we got wind, I told him to be there for 5 in the morning as the wind was forecast for roughly a four hour window, he went to Mey instead I had 8 fish.

tenet

Reaction score
I had a guest who took a trip to the Castle of Mey and missed a red letter day in the middle of a drought, we got wind, I told him to be there for 5 in the morning as the wind was forecast for roughly a four hour window, he went to Mey instead I had 8 fish.
There are always exceptions Reelit but I would be surprised if your 8 fish were taken between beat 5 and 13 but I might be wrong. The deep beats of 5,6 and 7 haven't given up a fish since June notwithstanding some overcast and breezy days.

reelit1

Reaction score
There are always exceptions Reelit but I would be surprised if your 8 fish were taken between beat 5 and 13 but I might be wrong. The deep beats of 5,6 and 7 haven't given up a fish since June notwithstanding some overcast and breezy days.
I was on the Forss River then from the top of Grahams pool to the Sea pool. The section where our ground is. On the Thurso I equalled my best days on Beat 6, 11 for the afternoon 12 to 5 o clock a steady up stream rolling wave, five o clock and the wind went flat.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Ok not well.
Islamouth, Ballathie/Cargill picking away too.
Just the odd one or two elsewhere.
Ok so that is poor isn’t it? The Tay is one river that does fill up from the top down I believe, where fish can be taken in Loch Tay and above on opening day, whilst the lower beats just don’t produce?
But I’m sure come late summer, beats like Almond mouth could average 10-20 fish a day no messing.
I’ve not checked out fishpal stats all year as I usually do.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I was there on Thursday dropping in my spinning demo rod. They had a few blank days this week because of the baking sun but fish off every other day.
Ah ok I’ve told my cousin to join here to check out your many rod building threads. I mean I’m pretty sure you started with very little as he has? His first effort an eight foot brook rod had no finesse at all, but I could not believe how nice it was to throw a four weight line.
Having re whipped it with some nice blue thread, he’s terrified of applying the varnish re how to dry it, whilst looking neat?