Low water hooks

ken3591

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can answer a question for me. I'm curious about low water hooks, when we are using such a variety of density of polyleaders does having a slightly thinner gauge hook really impact the depth at which the fly is fished?

Rennie

Reaction score
Ken3591, I've never got my head round the low water hook concept!.I just can't see the point of fishing a smaller lighter flee in low water on a 'ook thats bigger!
I can understand a point of argument towards it, but the practicalities in my eyes far outweigh any benefits!.
As such I tend to stick with the same pattern of hook, but just go smaller.
I will say over the past few years I've gravitated towards tiny little tube flee's and deadly sharp wee terribles to match!.I'm also happy(apart from the personal damage to my fingers) with tying tiny flee's on Partridge X2B's as low as size 16.My own feelings are, size is important and when the water's dropping low you deffo. at times need far less impact from yer flee!
As you say, it's also in my portfolio to use polys. and flurocarbon to get a little depth when it's needed.
Pedro.
Pedro.

onelastcast

Reaction score
Interesting one this, I must admit to being a bit basic and old fashioned to my approach in using the old fashioned 9-12ft of maxima directly nail knotted on the end of a#8-9 carron line or michael evans lakeline on the single hander in low water.first fly of choice is a munro killer plastic tube 1/4 or 1/2 inch body which has been the most succesfull over the years but if I have trouble with the fly skating I switch to a low water single dressed half the length of the shank but super slim with a wire rib and silk for the body thin wing etc and they seem too work but do catch more with the tube Ijust think less loop too loop connections make for better presentation in low water-who knows we are all learners at this even after years best onelastcast