Lough Salmon Flies

Hollywood

Reaction score
What about a new section entitled Lough Flies? Most of the salmon caught when I go lough fishing are usually taken on trout flies. Might be nice if we had a section to post salmon/sea trout/trout all rounders.

Tied these up this morning for the West of Ireland. My version of the golden olive dabbler.

Hook: B175 Size 8.
Tag: Globrite 4.
Tail: Bronze mallard under GP crest dyed sunburst.
Rib: Oval gold tinsel.
Body: Mix WOI golden olive, golden olive, yellow mosaic.
Hackle: WOI golden olive.
Front Hackle: French partridge dyed WOI golden olive.
Cloak: Bronze mallard.
Cheeks: JC.
Thread: Olive UTC.

tenet

Reaction score
Here's a few:

Black Doctor

Octopus

Long Tailed Bibio

Box Full of delights

Not long to go before fishing Carrowmore and Beltra.

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Yes remember these super flies any joy with any ?

Claret bumble great fly :D

Bad_bastie

Reaction score
I didn't have any joy myself but other did. The clan cheif did well up the Reelan at the end of the season.

I think the doubles were low water 10's

Kylesider

Reaction score
I suggested a home for loch/lough fishing for sea trout and salmon in the suggestions section of the forum a while back and it got some support including some fly patterns etc. It was suggested that we try a thread in the methods and tactics section and I have done so. It is called 'loch, lough, lake and llyn. There has been a bit of interest but we could do with more. I hope it gets more interest as the season goes on and we eventually a bigger section etc.

ibm59

Reaction score
And no' a size 10 Thunder & Lightning double to be seen anywhere.:rolleyes:

Tied on an R2A double , it's a loch tail fly supreme.

Bronze mallard wing , mind you.:)
None o' yon hairy , furry , stuff.;)

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
Try a few Balinderry Blue variants, the jc shrimp is very good in Kerry.

Last edited:

Hollywood

Reaction score
I suggested a home for loch/lough fishing for sea trout and salmon in the suggestions section of the forum a while back and it got some support including some fly patterns etc. It was suggested that we try a thread in the methods and tactics section and I have done so. It is called 'loch, lough, lake and llyn. There has been a bit of interest but we could do with more. I hope it gets more interest as the season goes on and we eventually a bigger section etc.
Apologies Kylesider as I hadn't noticed your thread in the methods and tactics section. Anyway good to see there is some interest out there.

kgm

Reaction score
Do salmon not eat Muddlers in Ireland?
Not for me anyway. I have quite a few muddler's all the way from Lewis and have caught nothing on them on the rivers and Loch's of Ireland.

Bibio dabbler and an orange version with Gp tippet tail, the claret bumble, Kate Maclaren and clan chief all do well over here.

A trio of coch-y-bondu (spelling), black pennell and red spinner ain't too bad either

Last edited:

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
Is the front fly on the right the jc shrimp ?, like a delphi with bronze mallard ?? Looks deadly
That's the one Kenny.
Known locally as the ballcock on account of its creator being a plumber, a black and black claret are also.

tenet

Reaction score
And no' a size 10 Thunder & Lightning double to be seen anywhere.:rolleyes:

Tied on an R2A double , it's a loch tail fly supreme.

Bronze mallard wing , mind you.:)
None o' yon hairy , furry , stuff.;)
Will this do for you Brian

Not one of my best but a reasonable likeness I think. Size 10 double and pricked fingers.

ibm59

Reaction score
Will this do for you Brian
Near enough , Doug , but you need to invest in some better quality bronze mallard.;)

I also prefer the Jay to be wound as a hackle , maybe just one turn , and for the orange hackle to be palmered over the front 1/2 of the body.

With the rolled mallard tied slim and low over the body , the fly is slim , dark , and as sexy as ......................rhymes with luck ;):D

Not quite sure where I picked up the dressing I use from , but it may well have been from one of those Irish craturs.;)

ps . The R2A is a bronze trout double . Finer in the wire , and a little smaller than a" standard " #10 salmon double.

Last edited:

Kylesider

Reaction score
Apologies Kylesider as I hadn't noticed your thread in the methods and tactics section. Anyway good to see there is some interest out there.
No problems. There are some great threads on loughs and loughs its just a shame there is not a dedicated section on the forum. Can't have everything though...

Hollywood

Reaction score
love the look of these flies, but what does cloaked mallad mean, does that mean rolled around the hook?

all the best
Kenny
Pretty much bang on Kenny. I'm not an expert by any means and like everything else there appears to be different styles for doing a mallard cloak dabbler style. I just take a strip of mallard, fold it in half and kinda hold it flat over the top half of the fly and apply a couple of soft loops then apply some thread pressure while manipulating the fibres to splay out.....if that makes any sense whatsoever;);) Practice, practice.