Lough Currance Trip 2020 or 2021

acerspader

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was thinking of a trip to Lough Currane this year if things settle down with restrictions or if not next year.

What time of year is best to fish?

Would be looking to hire local boat and guide, if you had any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

mercurial

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Currane is a shadow of what it used to be. The seatrout stocks are devastated, the lake is now catch and release - unfortunately too little too late. The burgeoning salmon farm just off the coast at Deenish has had the same disastrous effect as a salmon farm placed near any sea trout fishery anywhere. The salmon have also fallen off badly with a poor grilse run last year and a worse spring run this.

Your interest may stem from the recent Ireland on the Fly podcast about a ghillie’s life in Currane which describes the lake as the jewel of Ireland's sea trout fisheries. What the podcast doesn't say (although its blurb in the app does)is that the recording is nearly ten years old. Even then things weren't great, but it was still fishing to some degree.

If you want to go anyway September might be your best bet for seatrout now, April for a spring fish and late June early July for grilse. Ring Dominic McGillicuddy at 087 2051515. He is one of the last full-time ghillies on the lake now.

acerspader

Reaction score
Thanks Mercurial for the reply.

I have not heard the podcast. Was planning a holiday with the misses in Cork/ Kerry and was going to try and fit in a few days fishing.

Its a shame it has taken a down turn.

Unfortunately, Currane is a shadow of what it used to be. The seatrout stocks are devastated, the lake is now catch and release - unfortunately too little too late. The burgeoning salmon farm just off the coast at Deenish has had the same disastrous effect as a salmon farm placed near any sea trout fishery anywhere. The salmon have also fallen off badly with a poor grilse run last year and a worse spring run this.

Your interest may stem from the recent Ireland on the Fly podcast about a ghillie’s life in Currane which describes the lake as the jewel of Ireland's sea trout fisheries. What the podcast doesn't say (although its blurb in the app does)is that the recording is nearly ten years old. Even then things weren't great, but it was still fishing to some degree.

If you want to go anyway September might be your best bet for seatrout now, April for a spring fish and late June early July for grilse. Ring Dominic McGillicuddy at 087 2051515. He is one of the last full-time ghillies on the lake now.

mercurial

Reaction score
Its still lovely there and certainly worth a holiday if you don't expect fish. Those with the golf illness are very well served, the scenery is magnificent and there are some pretty nice pubs hotels and restaurants in the area. It is just a heartbreak for those who remember it in its heyday to see the lake dying slowly away.

kinnaber

Reaction score
Yeah very sad how the fishing has declined. I fished it reasonably regularly from the 90s until around 2015 when it really wasn’t worth the trip for Currane alone . The third week in June was my week which was prime for trout and grilse and we had some wonderful sport with sea trout up to 7lb and salmon to 12lb all floating line .Great craic and some very fine dining options in Waterville to boot . However I would say the hidden gem was the bass fishing if the lake conditions weren’t ideal . A wander along the shore with a few well recognised bays etc could produce cracking bass . Keep that to yourself lol. If it’s a wifey type trip I would still go ...you never know ?

Black Dyson

Reaction score
I first fished Currane in 1972. In those days, it was fabulous. On bright days, you caught finnock. When the cloud came and the wind swung to the West, the big fish appeared. I last fished it in 2016. The fishing in recent years was much tougher than it used to be. However, up until 2015, the system still produced some quality seatrout. However once the fish farms arrived, the result was entirely predictable. We travelled annually from Northern Ireland. If your purpose is fishing, it is no longer worth the trip. This is a real shame, as Waterville has good eateries, great scenery and nice people. Also, it had some of the last really professional ghillies in Ireland. Now, I guess they are all but unemployed. Currane is a beautiful Lough, with a variety of drifts that IMO beat anything in the West. Also, the upper lakes are gems. Sadly, this is no good without fish.

In the old days, the bar of the Butler Arms was full of men with flies stuck in Aran sweaters and the chat was about fish. Today, it’s golf. All this breaks my heart. But, if you’re hoping for the seatrout fishing described in old copies of Trout & Salmon, and in various books, you will be disappointed. This is the truth.

Black Dyson

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Any reports how is fishing at the moment?

Vincent Appleby’s daily record indicate no discernible catches - for weeks! It is now mid June and we should be into the peak of the seatrout season. OK, there has been a prolonged dry spell. However, as any seatrout fisher knows, these fish run over wet stones and the outlet from Currane and into the Butler Pool is adjacent to the sea. Hence, fish get in - even I low water. In the past, trout would still be caught in adverse conditions. Obviously, for very good fishing and particularly for the large fish, you’d need water. Bottom line, the fish aren’t there. Sadly, it blatantly obvious that this once wonderful system is on its knees.

Reaction score
Agree, the has scarcely been a single report of a sea trout been caught yet. It should be full of "juniors" at the moment.

Sadly this fishery is in decline over a sustained period. I thought last year with the removal of the salmon farm from Ballinskelligs bay would see a beginning of a return but this year has wiped away any optimism. Weather related or not.

mercurial

Reaction score
Unfortunately the salmon farm is still there. And expanding. Its closure (suspension) is under appeal and as such they are allowed to operate as normal until that hearing. Which already slow process is, of course, delayed due to the virus.

Black Dyson

Reaction score
Agree, the has scarcely been a single report of a sea trout been caught yet. It should be full of "juniors" at the moment.

Sadly this fishery is in decline over a sustained period. I thought last year with the removal of the salmon farm from Ballinskelligs bay would see a beginning of a return but this year has wiped away any optimism. Weather related or not.
You are 100% correct. OK, it’s low water and conditions are not ideal. But, trout can get into Currane in any weather - it’s right beside the sea. In my experience, current conditions would make the big fish difficult to catch. However, occasionally one of them would be caught early morning, or in the evening. Otherwise, the lake should be full of juniors. They are not difficult to catch - if they are there. It’s blindingly obviously that there is next to nothing in the lake.

I’m exasperated by this silly survey into the decline of Waterville seatrout. It sounds suspiciously like another can kicking exercise. What part of the last 30 years evidence do these people not understand? It started at Loch Maree and moved to Connemara. As the fish farms came, the seatrout disappeared. What would make the shysters who allowed farms in Kerry think for one minute that the outcome there would be any different to the disaster that unfolded at every other location where aquaculture was permitted. We don’t need to pay any more scientists. The facts are staring us in the face. Close the farms and the trout will return. That is the obvious answer, but it’s the conclusion that vested interests don’t want to hear. It appears that they will do anything to postpone it and muddy the waters along the way. Ireland is a corrupt country with a long history of back scratching. These people care not a jot for Lough Currane, the local ghillies and B&B owners. Their concern is money and they will do everything in their power to maintain cash-flow. Call me a cynic, but I got to see this place in its heyday. The next generation will be denied that. I wanted to spend my retirement in Waterville catching beautiful seatrout, not chasing rainbows. Now, there’s no fish left and we all know why - rant over!

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Unfortunately salmon farm is still in operation. It is now under appeal to the aquaculture appeals board (ALAB). The High Court Case is adjourned to allow ALAB to determine the appeal. This decision is due on 30 June 2020. If their decision is to close the salmon farm expect a renewed High Court appeal process. Hereunder read the submission by Salmon Watch Ireland regarding the entire debacle that is the licencing of Deenish.
Deenish Island Submission

Reaction score
Can't remember the last reported catch I saw on Vincent Appleby's blog. This should be high season for juniors down there. Its terrible to think of the decline in the past 10 years let alone any further!

Pitsfisher

Reaction score
I was down there last week and caught 2 grilse and 7 seatrout for the trip. We met another few grilse trolling that didn't stick, so there are a few fish around. I know the seatrout fishing is a pale shadow of before but don't be too put off by the reports as there are some fish being caught.

nore fly

Reaction score
You are 100% correct. OK, it’s low water and conditions are not ideal. But, trout can get into Currane in any weather - it’s right beside the sea. In my experience, current conditions would make the big fish difficult to catch. However, occasionally one of them would be caught early morning, or in the evening. Otherwise, the lake should be full of juniors. They are not difficult to catch - if they are there. It’s blindingly obviously that there is next to nothing in the lake.

I’m exasperated by this silly survey into the decline of Waterville seatrout. It sounds suspiciously like another can kicking exercise. What part of the last 30 years evidence do these people not understand? It started at Loch Maree and moved to Connemara. As the fish farms came, the seatrout disappeared. What would make the shysters who allowed farms in Kerry think for one minute that the outcome there would be any different to the disaster that unfolded at every other location where aquaculture was permitted. We don’t need to pay any more scientists. The facts are staring us in the face. Close the farms and the trout will return. That is the obvious answer, but it’s the conclusion that vested interests don’t want to hear. It appears that they will do anything to postpone it and muddy the waters along the way. Ireland is a corrupt country with a long history of back scratching. These people care not a jot for Lough Currane, the local ghillies and B&B owners. Their concern is money and they will do everything in their power to maintain cash-flow. Call me a cynic, but I got to see this place in its heyday. The next generation will be denied that. I wanted to spend my retirement in Waterville catching beautiful seatrout, not chasing rainbows. Now, there’s no fish left and we all know why - rant over!
The only way the fish farm s will be stopped is when you turn public opinion against eating farmed salmon and wild salmon....there are signs of people starting to sit up and realise the damage they are causing outside of fishermen circles...the older generation could not give a fiddlers.. and will still buy smoked farmed muck .but get the internet generation involved and you set out the future of these farms....and that will be the end of there environmental damage ...I often wondered why anglers dont get together and pay for billboard adds showing the farmed damaged fish and the sea bed ....the vegans used to run adds.and we used to laugh at them and look half the teenagers are vegans now ..