Loop lainio, is it good?

Pati

Reaction score
Hi
Looking to replace my good old Orvis wading jacket that lasted me over 15years. Looking for something waterproof and windproof obviously but also tough and sturdy. Needs to be short or offers the possibility to shorten along the way to allow deep wading. Need 2 large pockets also at the front.

Loop lainio seems interesting but I see many on 2nd hand sell so wondering if there is an obvious issue with that jacket (isn’t it too long for wading? I’d there a system to put it in a short configuration ?).

My other contenders are Simms Guide and Patagonia SST

Your opinions are welcome !

Thanks

Greegs

Reaction score
I’ve had mines for a few years now & is a great jacket.
Far better than my Simms that I sold.

I’ve had no issues with it, best wading jacket I’ve owned.

There is a new one out from loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
I can't fault mine, I bought a Simms G4 jacket and after only a season (of fairly light use) all the taping inside has mostly worn away and the jacket now looks about twenty years old. Replaced it with a Lainio last season and it still looks like it did when I took it out the parcel :) (I expect the reason they seem to turn up for sale is that all the "show ponies" couldn't possibly be seen in last years fashion and they've a newer more expensive jacket out....)

Last edited:

Pati

Reaction score
Good to read that, looks long on Internet pictures !

Are the cuffs good at preventing water to get in?

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
As long as you tighten them up with the velcro strap they're great at keeping water out, the only really minor trivial gripe is that to look at your watch you need to undo them but that's hardly a valid reason not to buy one :)

Greegs

Reaction score
I can't fault mine, I bought a Simms G4 jacket and after only a season (of fairly light use) all the taping inside has mostly worn away and the jacket now looks about twenty years old. Replaced it with a Lainio last season and it still looks like it did when I took it out the parcel :) (I expect the reason they seem to turn up for sale is that all the "show ponies" couldn't possibly be seen in last years fashion and they've a newer more expensive jacket out....)

My Simms leaked through the shoulders & that’s why I got rid of it.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I also sold a Simms jacket in favour of the Loop Lainio. Only had it one season but it's been used on a few awful days and has always kept me dry. It feels like a better fit for me than the Simms and is very comfortable to wear. Highly recommended it.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:
C

cgaines10

I love mine & wouldn’t swap it for anything else. Definitely worth the money imo.

Greegs

Reaction score
I also sold a Simms jacket in favour of the Loop Lainio. Only had it one season but it's been used on a few awful days and has always kept me dry. It feels like a better fit for me than the Simms and is very comfortable to wear. Highly recommended it.
Cheers Diarmid.

Yeah, they fit really well.
I’ve also been out in terrible weather & has never leaked once.

They are big made though.
I’m normally a large in a jacket but mines is a medium.
I’ve still got space to fit my down jacket under if needed as well.

Gpu

Reaction score
Another vote for Loop jacket - had mine years and it’s brilliant - never leaked and fits well.

The pockets hold a lot and aren’t has bulky as the simms.

G

Pati

Reaction score
Awesome, i think I will bite the bullet...

Looking to your advice on size, what are you wearing/what is your size: I am 186cm for 77kg (ie. 6'10" and 170 pounds), so I guess either a size M or a size L?

Greegs

Reaction score
Awesome, i think I will bite the bullet...

Looking to your advice on size, what are you wearing/what is your size: I am 186cm for 77kg (ie. 6'10" and 170 pounds), so I guess either a size M or a size L?

I will measure mines when I’m home tonight for you.

Greegs

Reaction score
Looking at my old brochure the longer jacket is the Rautus & the Lainio is the short jacket.

Greegs

Reaction score
Brochure.

Last edited:

easky

Reaction score
Hi Pati

The Lanio were great jackets - I had mine for 5 seasons! They now been replaced by the Torne which have similar features but with new materials - they use SympaTex® membrane which is recyclable (unlike Gortex) and CORDURA® on the outer membrane, so even more durable... I have thoroughly tested and can highly recommend :)

See here Torne Wading Jacket - LOOP Tackle

If you're after a bargain the Lanio are on sale and great value! - see here Lainio Wading Jacket - The Fly Fishing Centre

Size wise the Lanio I would say are slightly bigger fitting than the Torne, but I would go for a Large rather than medium.

hope this helps

Andrew

Pati

Reaction score
Couldn't quite convince myself to spend so much money on the jacket in the end as the season will probably be quite truncated with coronavirus (leaving in London and not having a car, I need to fly or take the train before renting a car so I can fish..)!
Looking for alternatives now in the 100-150pounds range instead, any idea welcome!

Critical for me are: at the very least 15,000mm hydrostatic head (lainio is 20,000, gore tex pro is 30,000), at least two very large pockets in front on the chest, a strong hood and a D ring on the back, a good cuffs system that prevents water from going up the sleeves. All the rest is bonus!

C

cgaines10

If it was me, I’d honestly just save up for it. Get it right first time rather than waste money on other jackets that just aren’t as good.

Markymac

Reaction score
Hi I think I would choose my loop jacket over my simms one. It's a slightly lighter but also warmer and comfort jacket.