Loop Cross ST

devonshire

Reaction score
The rod in question the 9136-6 was available as an S1 originally then changed to an ST but waa never made as a fast action,. However there are some as you say such as the 7124-6 ST which is a fast action. I have one and it is a lovely rod. I also have the 7122-6 S1 medum fast and they both cast the same lines equally well. The 7124 requires better timing and is less forgiving compared to the 7122. Both are excellent all round rods and not stiff poker's.
Cheers Diarmid.

Thanks Diarmid. I know the S1 has a bit of a reputation for needing a line heavier than its rating to get it going (since Springer's review). From the comments here it sounds like the ST prefers a lighter line. I wasn't sure if the difference was S1 vs. ST, or if the characteristic of the S1 changed when it went from 3M powerlux to Loop's own nano resin.

Bex

Reaction score
Thanks Diarmid. I know the S1 has a bit of a reputation for needing a line heavier than its rating to get it going (since Springer's review). From the comments here it sounds like the ST prefers a lighter line. I wasn't sure if the difference was S1 vs. ST, or if the characteristic of the S1 changed when it went from 3M powerlux to Loop's own nano resin.

Depends on your casting style, always preferred the S1 or MF ST rods with lighter lines.
Personal preference I think....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Gaelforce Equaliser Short Spey switch line 6/7wt, 24g and 33ft head that takes 10ft tips with no issues?.
Can you use this line without a 10' tip if your just using it as a floater, have the 30g version for the 12"#7 s1, but haven't got a tip for it, w I have a set of rio tips but it's the straw coloured one and don't like using it because it's not the same colour as the gaelforce line, it probably doesn't make any difference about the colour to the Salmon but it does to me, must be the ocd.
Thanks

Bex

Reaction score
Can you use this line without a 10' tip if your just using it as a floater, have the 30g version for the 12"#7 s1, but haven't got a tip for it, w I have a set of rio tips but it's the straw coloured one and don't like using it because it's not the same colour as the gaelforce line, it probably doesn't make any difference about the colour to the Salmon but it does to me, must be the ocd.
Thanks

Use 10’ polyleaders with that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rs2ford

Reaction score
Thanks
I have used it with long tapered leaders and although it works fine I prefer it with 10ft polyleaders.
Cheers Diarmid.

rs2ford

Reaction score
It's all down to personal preference. Both the S1 and ST 7wts for example will take the Rio SSVT 7wt or 8wt quite happily. The Cross S1 8130 will take the 8wt or 9wt Rio SSVT. Very versatile rods.
Overall I prefer the medium fast action but again that is only personal preference.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

mammoth69

Reaction score
I have the Loop Cross ST 6 piece (8132) 8#13’2 ft.

Fast action.

I’ve also tried the MC/MF version but wasn’t so keen.

The Fast It is an awesome stick. A cannon. I regularly use it with 9 lines

This is a do it all Rod; handles sink lines etc, shooting heads. Multi tips etc

I took this rod with me the the Alta & Lakselva this summer. I used a Rio SSVT #9 on it with a mono running line. Performed flawlessly out there.

Although the rod is spec’d at a 8# my experiences with various lines show that it works best with #8/9 or #9 lines.

If you ask anyone at loop they’ll tell you the 8132 is a wolf in sheep’s clothing & very like a #9 rated rod.

Note they didn’t actually make a #9 rated fast ST. 13’2 8wt & 15’ 10wt in fast action travel versions.

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: