Loop Cross ST

Hardie82

Reaction score
I’m considering buying a Loop Cross ST Travel rod in either 13’2 #8 or 13’6 #9 (medium fast). I’m looking to use shooting heads in the 570-600 grain range. Does anyone have experience of these models and can give an opinion on which would be better for heads in this range? Thanks in advance.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I’m considering buying a Loop Cross ST Travel rod in either 13’2 #8 or 13’6 #9 (medium fast). I’m looking to use shooting heads in the 570-600 grain range. Does anyone have experience of these models and can give an opinion on which would be better for heads in this range? Thanks in advance.
Have you considered one of the custom rods built on his own blanks that Ross James of RJC rods produces. They are all travel rods. The standard of his workmanship is excellent and the rods have a lovely action, better in my opinion than the loop cross.

Hardie82

Reaction score
Have you considered one of the custom rods built on his own blanks that Ross James of RJC rods produces. They are all travel rods. The standard of his workmanship is excellent and the rods have a lovely action, better in my opinion than the loop cross.

I initially thought about the LTS Explosive 13’6 as I really like the 12’6 version but I tried it and it was completely different. I’ve tried a few different Loop Cross models and found them easy to get on with. I’ll check out the RJC rods, I’ve seen his Loop Cross custom builds and they are excellent.

rs2ford

Reaction score
The Loop Cross S1 13'0" 8wt 4 piece is capable of casting 30-38g where as the 13'2" 8wt is definitely more 30-34g range. I also preferred 34g on the 13'6" 9wt but it will take 36g for sure. 38g would be pushing the limit for me.

Cheers Diarmid.

Hardie82

Reaction score
The Loop Cross S1 13'0" 8wt 4 piece is capable of casting 30-38g where as the 13'2" 8wt is definitely more 30-34g range. I also preferred 34g on the 13'6" 9wt but it will take 36g for sure. 38g would be pushing the limit for me.

Cheers Diarmid.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Hardie82

Reaction score
I went for the 13’6 #9 from the Loop Outlet. This forum is invaluable for this type of information. Thanks for the replies.

Tangled

Reaction score

I bought that rod, it's fabulous, best rod I ever owned, buy one!

Small provisor, I bought it in March and I've not taken the plastic off the bloody handle yet.

Tremendous rod though. Bigley rod. Looks great on the shelf. Maybe one day it'll get used.

Greegs

Reaction score
I’ve the 13’6 9w, bought from a very nice man on here.

I’ve fished from 33g to 39g on it & it handles them all with ease.

I’m back down to fishing a 33g Lts short speed line & it absolutely flies on that rod.
I was fishing with it today on the Nith in a big water & it’s a joy to use.
The action & power in it is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardie82

Reaction score
I’ve the 13’6 9w, bought from a very nice man on here.

I’ve fished from 33g to 39g on it & it handles them all with ease.

I’m back down to fishing a 33g Lts short speed line & it absolutely flies on that rod.
I was fishing with it today on the Nith in a big water & it’s a joy to use.
The action & power in it is brilliant.

I’ve got John Norris NI1 heads in 540, 570 and 600 grain to test with so will hopefully find what works for me.

Greegs

Reaction score
How does the 6 piece S1 compare to the ST? Is it the same blank with a different name?

Think the ST is a slightly slower action.

Or so I have been told.

The S1 is a fast & the ST is a medium fast but the tip recovery is superb.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Think the ST is a slightly slower action.

Or so I have been told.

The S1 is a fast & the ST is a medium fast but the tip recovery is superb.

Not so. Both are medium fast action. The earlier S1 9136 had the 3M resin and the later S1/ST 9136 hasn't. That's the only difference I am aware of.
Cheers Diarmid.

Greegs

Reaction score
Not so. Both are medium fast action. The earlier S1 9136 had the 3M resin and the later S1/ST 9136 hasn't. That's the only difference I am aware of.
Cheers Diarmid.

Is the S1 not a fast action & the ST is a medium fast action?

Greegs

Reaction score
It’s the SX that’s the fast action.

I know a guy that has the S1 & ST in the same size & says the ST is slower.

Maybe because it’s a 6 piece?

Who knows as I’m very happy with my ST.

Hardie82

Reaction score
The ST range has some models available in both MF and F. The SX is the range of fast action rods. I was tempted by the 12’4 #7 SX but managed to resist so far.

rs2ford

Reaction score
The ST range has some models available in both MF and F. The SX is the range of fast action rods. I was tempted by the 12’4 #7 SX but managed to resist so far.
The rod in question the 9136-6 was available as an S1 originally then changed to an ST but waa never made as a fast action,. However there are some as you say such as the 7124-6 ST which is a fast action. I have one and it is a lovely rod. I also have the 7122-6 S1 medum fast and they both cast the same lines equally well. The 7124 requires better timing and is less forgiving compared to the 7122. Both are excellent all round rods and not stiff poker's.
Cheers Diarmid.

nickolas

Reaction score
The rod in question the 9136-6 was available as an S1 originally then changed to an ST but waa never made as a fast action,. However there are some as you say such as the 7124-6 ST which is a fast action. I have one and it is a lovely rod. I also have the 7122-6 S1 medum fast and they both cast the same lines equally well. The 7124 requires better timing and is less forgiving compared to the 7122. Both are excellent all round rods and not stiff poker's.
Cheers Diarmid.
Diarmid can you please recommend a integrated scandi float type line for the 6122-6, if possible to take tips.