Loop Cross ST 14' 9# Line overkill?

Patrickch

Reaction score
I recently bought a Loop Cross ST 14' 9# and tested some scandi shooting heads which I am pretty satisfied with (Guideline and LTS from F to S3 all in 555 grains).
I also puchased a shooting head from Airflo (Skagit Compact 2) in 630 grains. It shoots like a cannon and takes little effort to bring it far out.
But...it feels very heavy and somehow overloading on the tip of the rod...

Is this SH overkill for this rod? All opinions welcome before I break this rod! :(

rs2ford

Reaction score
I tried a 570gr Airflo Skagit compact on that rod and it was a very good match or a Gaelforce 550gr was also very good. Shooting heads around 36g were spot on.
Cheers Diarmid.

bros

Reaction score
We are all different, I found 600gr gaelforce bang on for me but also 646gr was good too, this was the integrated floater, not to sure about sunk lines.
Good luck!

Patrickch

Reaction score
Thank you for your opinions. I'm considering to keep the 630 gr head for short distance (not so heavy on the rod ) and heavy flies and buy a lighter ( 570 or 600 gr ) for lighter flies and longer distance. I initially bought this shooting head to be able to cast easily from the "wrong" side of the river, but I guess there is no shortcut to learn how to cast proper with scandi SH with my hands switched...

Tyke

Reaction score
Are you casting it as a Skagit head - that is with a water borne style cast, or are you trying to cast it in the same way as your' Scandi heads?

If the latter then it will definitely over-load the rod, particularly when the weight of the T-material or other type of sink tips is added to the head weight; however if you cast this as a true Skagit cast & slow down allowing the rod to do the work & the head weight to pick the tip out of the water & carry everything out there then it should probably be OK.

Generally speaking in these sort of head weights a rod will handle around 60 grains more weight as a Skagit head [assuming it is used with proper Skagit style water-borne casts] than it will with Scandi heads where only the mono leader is forming the anchor with everything else air-borne.

But it may pay you to try a lighter size Skagit head as well & see how it feels.

Regards, Tyke.

Patrickch

Reaction score
Hi Tyke

Thank you for your advice. I use the skagit head only for "true" waterborn casts. I guess I'll give the 600 grain shooting head a try since it is in your suggested range (555+60=615).

Again thank you all for your support.