Loop cross s1 switch rage line

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m away to order an airflo rage line for my loop cross s1 11ft #7 switch rod and am not sure which weight would be better the 320grains or the 360grains. Any help will be appreciated. Cheers.

Bex

Reaction score
About 21g, 325 grains is good on that rod. Go a bit lighter if you like an overhead cast.
Great wee rod.

Bex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Do nicely, it’s a trout rated switch.
Go lighter though if you like an overhead cast though.

The rage will be used for Spey casting. I’m getting a Barrio switch line for it too for if I want to overhead cast

easky

Reaction score
Do nicely, it’s a trout rated switch.
Go lighter though if you like an overhead cast though.

Hi Bex - the S1 Switch are rated for double not single handed. As you suggest above something around 21g or 325grains - if it was a 7# single hand it would be more like 16-17g :)

I used to have one and nice wee rod :thumb:

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I have that rod and the line I use is the Rio scandi short at 300 grains which equates to a 5 weight double hand line. This line seems perfect for me. I also like the rio single hand 7# Spey line on this rod.

Conehead

Bex

Reaction score
Hi Bex - the S1 Switch are rated for double not single handed. As you suggest above something around 21g or 325grains - if it was a 7# single hand it would be more like 16-17g :)

Rated single hand for overhead casting. 17g is fine but a wee bit heavier for a Spey cast at 21g is better.
Loop did have a chart for the S1 switch rods. If I can find it I’ll post it up.

A 7 double hand at 27g would be a little tough on that wee rod. That’s a line for the 12’ #7 cross a different beast altogether.

Best advice is try and see what you like.

Bex

pfeul

Reaction score
I have the 11ft #6.

A 19ft (290 grains) 8.5m long guideline multi-tip goes well for spey casting with that rod. 1 g less would be even better.

300 to 320 grains should be great with the #7.

easky

Reaction score
Rated single hand for overhead casting. 17g is fine but a wee bit heavier for a Spey cast at 21g is better.

A 7 double hand at 27g would be a little tough on that wee rod. That’s a line for the 12’ #7 cross a different beast altogether.

Bex

Last edited:

easky

Reaction score

Bex

Think we agree on 'good' line weights for the rod and on trying before you buy.. as always it comes down to the conundrum of switches and their application :D

Something like this is also worth considering SDS Switch Kits - LOOP Tackle

Last edited:

bankwheel

Reaction score

This rod is rated for single hand lines, 17 to 21g as Bex says, a 7 double hand rating would be far too heavy at 28 to 30g or 450 grains depending on manufacturer.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
According to that loop chart the 7110 is 22g or 340 grains. The rage comes in 320 or 360 grains. I’m going to order the 320. I’m going to order a Barrio switch line for it too which I think I will use more often than not on it. I fish a couple of real small rivers that have high banks and lots of trees so think the Barrio will be great for all the makey upper casts that are sometimes required. Also I’ve been working my flies much more on these small rivers and hate the knock you get when the start of the shooting head goes through the top eye. I emailed Mike and he wasn’t sure if the # 6/7 or the #7/8 would be best on it. I need to order a 7/8 for my young lad and mike said to try that on it first to see what like before ordering for my loop. I’m waiting on him getting more stock.
Thanks for all your help guys

pfeul

Reaction score
According to that loop chart the 7110 is 22g or 340 grains. The rage comes in 320 or 360 grains. I’m going to order the 320. I’m going to order a Barrio switch line for it too which I think I will use more often than not on it. I fish a couple of real small rivers that have high banks and lots of trees so think the Barrio will be great for all the makey upper casts that are sometimes required. Also I’ve been working my flies much more on these small rivers and hate the knock you get when the start of the shooting head goes through the top eye. I emailed Mike and he wasn’t sure if the # 6/7 or the #7/8 would be best on it. I need to order a 7/8 for my young lad and mike said to try that on it first to see what like before ordering for my loop. I’m waiting on him getting more stock.
You should definitely consider the Airflo switch streamer.
Same head taper as the rage but as a full line, not a shooting head. Comes in 300 330 and 360 grains

NEbody

Reaction score
The 7/8 Barrio is 425gr, which sounds heavier than people think is right.

rytenuff

Reaction score
Just found out today that a 1p coin weighs 3.5g . Makes you wonder why it would make that much of a difference with that 3.5g spread out along the line. :confused: :)