Loop cross S1 9ft 8 in 5 pc 7wt anyone have or cast one of these

DRN

Reaction score
Has anyone cast one of these?
Whats your thoughts?
Too stiff or plenty of feel?
Feel light or heavy for its length?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Contemplating building one and I can find nothing with regards to peoples thoughts on this rod.
Cheers
Nick

pfeul

Reaction score
Hi

I own this rod and like it a lot.
Together with a Guideline lxi switch 6/7, it's my go to rod for grilse fishing the small breton river here in France.

I'm no rod designer and not skilled enough to define the action of a rod so take my words with caution. I would define it as a "typical" loop action.
It has a powerful butt and can carry a lot of line in the air as well as been precise at close range.

As far as its weight, I don't find it heavy, nor it is the lightest rod I've fished.
I use a scierra traxion 7/9 reel on it (very good reel by the way for the money) which is rather on the heavy side for a modern reel (~250g).
It balances the rod perfectly when casting.

I've used the rod with a loop opti 210 #7 fly line which is my preferred line for the rod.
The rio single handed spey line #7 works also very well as well as an aiflo 40+ #6 for close work.

I just don't like the recoil guides. As soon as the line is not dressed enough with lubricant, they emit a sound which is very annoying.

hope it helps...

DRN

Reaction score
Brilliant thanks for all that information.
Those rec guides are very annoying with that grinding high pitch noise they make. Isn't really conducive to "peaceful" fishing!

tenet

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that both Loop and Guidline switch rods are rated as single handed rods rather than salmon rods. Assuming this to be true it is at odds with the vast majority of rods out there.:confused:

easky

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that both Loop and Guidline switch rods are rated as single handed rods rather than salmon rods. Assuming this to be true it is at odds with the vast majority of rods out there.:confused:
The Loop Switches are rated for double handed Tenet - I have an Evotec Cast Switch 5# which is loaded by 18-20gms and approx a 8# single handed

pfeul

Reaction score

Yes Guideline, Loop, Zpey and Salmologic are rated on the basis of a single hand rating (the shakey oracle switch 7/8 is also to me a single handed rated rod, it's a great little rod with a GL switch line (19 grams 28ft long)).

I guess it just follows from their definition of a switch rod which seems to be a rod that can be either cast single handed or double handed.

As for the other manufacturers (mainly us based), as their rating is defined by a double handed system basis, the term switch rod characterizes a small (no longer than 12ft) double handed rod, whatever the marketing sauce is added to the definition.
Switching as defined as the possibility to overhead a double handed rod does not seem to me to be the very new concept ...

For instance, a 7wt 11ft switch rod rated for 17 grams (SH rating) will be easily cast single handed or double handed for light work at short to medium distances.
On the contrary, unless using both hands, overhead or spey casting a 7wt 11ft rated for 27 grams (DH rating) does not seem a desired option, IMHO...

You've surely guessed that my (very personnal :) ) opinion is I find that the definition of switch suits the GL, Loop et al. rods in a more consistent manner with what these rods are intended to...

pfeul

Reaction score
The Loop Switches are rated for double handed Tenet - I have an Evotec Cast Switch 5# which is loaded by 18-20gms and approx a 8# single handed
Did Loop change the rating of the switch rod. I've read several times on the internet and also on the forum that the rating for the cross s1 7wt was between 16.5g and 20g? So the evotec swict 5wt would be rated as the cross switch 7wt?
Am I wrong?

As for the GL, I cast a 17grams 8,6m head with the 6/7 lxi rated for 17-19 grams and it's perfect.

easky

Reaction score
Did Loop change the rating of the switch rod. I've read several times on the internet and also on the forum that the rating for the cross s1 7wt was between 16.5g and 20g? So the evotec swict 5wt would be rated as the cross switch 7wt?
Am I wrong?

As for the GL, I cast a 17grams 8,6m head with the 6/7 lxi rated for 17-19 grams and it's perfect.
I think they have changed the ratings, as the new Opti NXT switches are also double hand rated - both these new models also have longer bottom handle than previous switches which also back this up (rather than the very short lower handle on the S1 and before). I will see if I can double check this though and let you know ;)

pfeul

Reaction score
I think they have changed the ratings, as the new Opti NXT switches are also double hand rated - both these new models also have longer bottom handle than previous switches which also back this up (rather than the very short lower handle on the S1 and before). I will see if I can double check this though and let you know ;)

Thanks for the information.
Sorry if I did add some confusion to the discussion :confused:

Reaction score
You've surely guessed that my (very personal :) ) opinion is I find that the definition of switch suits the GL, Loop et al. rods in a more consistent manner with what these rods are intended to...
Quite. Many of the so-called switch rods are really "baby Speys"- as the Sage guys will concede if you have the chance of discussing them.

The rods rated for single handed lines should give you a stealthier presentation than the baby Speys rated for double handed lines of the same apparent weighting.

The whole thing is confusing and I'm aware of a fisher who went to Iceland with a switch rod rated for salmon lines coupled with- I won't say balanced by!-a trout line as recommended by a well known tackle dealer. An expensive mistake.

I made a less expensive mistake when I bought an inexpensive 11' 6" #6/7 rod from the States and couldn't understand why it wouldn't cast my WF7F trout line. Research on Speypages revealed that it needed a 7/8 double handed line, which it dealt with beautifully.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
I own a Loop 10'7'' switch Cross S1, and whilst it likes a Rio Switch Chucker in #8 ( I think it would like the #7 better, but can't afford the luxury just now) I used it in Iceland with a single handed Rio Gold in #7 and it cast beautifully single handed.....

I like the sound of this blank, where can you get them and what's the saving on a factory built rod?

tenet

Reaction score
Andy - sounds as if the Barrio SLX is made for the Loop Cross s1 and at £36 considerably cheaper than a Rio.

The switch chucker looks to me to be rated as double hander viz the # 7 comes in at 465 grains or just over 30 grams :confused:

Last edited:

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Andy - sounds as if the Barrio SLX is made for the Loop Cross s1 and at £36 considerably cheaper than a Rio.

The switch chucker looks to me to be rated as double hander viz the # 7 comes in at 465 grains or just over 30 grams :confused:
The switch chucker in the #8 goes like a rocket with the loop, it can only really be cast double handed, but it feels more like a mini-skagit in #8 weight, so I think a #7 would be better. They're designed for 15ft tips, will the Barrio line do that? I've looked at the taper and it seems to be more like a straightforward switch line?

I've got the 7/8 Rio switch, and that works nicely, as does the #8 single handed Spey line, the Bario looks good, but I may have too many overlaps.... maybe?

tenet

Reaction score
I'm no expert Andy but would suggest you speak to Mike Barrio who you will find is very accommodating. It is obvious that the Cross s1 is throwing up all sorts of queries but at the end of the day if your happy with the performance then that is all that matters.:)

pfeul

Reaction score
The whole thing is confusing and I'm aware of a fisher who went to Iceland with a switch rod rated for salmon lines coupled with- I won't say balanced by!-a trout line as recommended by a well known tackle dealer. An expensive mistake.

I made a less expensive mistake when I bought an inexpensive 11' 6" #6/7 rod from the States and couldn't understand why it wouldn't cast my WF7F trout line. Research on Speypages revealed that it needed a 7/8 double handed line, which it dealt with beautifully.
I agree that this is very confusing.
My point was not to make any assumption that rods based on a single hand rating are better than the others.
I will try to argue it in another way as far my poor English allows me (I prefer apologising right now if all the stuff below is non sense ;) ).
Nowaddays, considering only the (mainly US) marketing mash , when choosing for a double handed rod, you’ll have to make your way through switch rods, baby speys, double handed (and now even trout speys which are coming to the market), and surely other kinds of namings. But all of them are IMHO only double handed rods made to be cast double handed (either spey or overhead cast), perhaps but the trout speys (never cast any so can’t comment)…
Let’s add some confusion. According to its name a Sage method 11’9 9wt is a switch rod which is rated to cast a scandi head about 510 grains (from the rio line chart). The loop GASS 11’6 9wt was to my knowledge advertised as a (small) double hander and is rated to cast about 520 grains. So must the GASS be considered as a switch rod??
Another example... I’ve been the happy owner of a sage tcx 6119 that I sold and replaced for travelling convenience by a cross s1 12’2 6wt. Both rods cast an afs 340 grains very nicely and are great for low water fishing. The first one is labeled as a switch, the second one as a double hander.
Would I have now to prevent myself from casting the 12’2 overhead because it is 5 inch too long?… absolutely not. Would I have single hand cast the tcx because it was labeled as a switch. I did but quickly went to the conclusion it was no option if I would not want to get an injured arm at the end of the day!

In other words, my point is just that rather than naming things by their names (in the present case, a double hander), manufacturers have intentionnaly added confusion. The result is headache and aspirin for us customers.
I find it more to truthful to advertise and sell a customer a rod rated on a single hand rating, such that when the guy gets to the river, he can cast double handed spey and single handed overhead with the same line and optionally spey cast with a heavier line (with all the possible induced limitations) rather than advertising and selling a rod labeled as “switch” but based on a double handed rating that only a bodybuilder might cast single handed only on its best days.

Pompero

Reaction score
Hi all, first post after lurking for a couple of years. Bumping this thread since I consider getting one from the Loop Outlet, got the S1 690 and love it. Anyone got this who can give a brief review?

Cheers

MikeCC

Reaction score
The S1 9’8 #7 5 piece, and 9’6 #7 4 piece are both very similar in terms of action and feel. Loop label them as medium fast but the action is a lot faster than that. The rods are actually quite stiff if truth be told and benefit from a half size up line like a Scientific Anglers MPX or old GPX(if you can find one). The blank is powerful with lots in reserve in the butt section, which can carry a lot of line if you want it to. The finish is typical Loop. I personally really like the understated grey blank and the recoil guides, theyre not to everyones taste though. Cork quality is decent. All in all its a nice rod but if your after something ‘medium’ action then look
for something else.

Last edited:

Orange75

Reaction score
The S1 9’8 #7 5 piece, and 9’6 #7 4 piece are both very similar in terms of action and feel. Loop label them as medium fast but the action is a lot faster than that. The rods are actually quite stiff if truth be told and benefit from a half size up line like a Scientific Anglers MPX or old GPX(if you can find one). The blank is powerful with lots in reserve in the butt section, which can carry a lot of line if you want it to. The finish is typical Loop. I personally really like the understated grey blank and the recoil guides, theyre not to everyones taste though. Cork quality is decent. All in all its a nice rod but if your after something ‘medium’ action then look
for something else.
I taught those 2 rods were basically the same... What’s the main differences between the 2?

MikeCC

Reaction score
None. One’s 2 inches longer than the other and comes in 5 pieces instead of 4. Average Joe wont notice anything else.