Loop Cross S1 9140-4 build

westie4566

Reaction score
Bought this blank a few weeks ago after Gordon (TFS) posted a link on here. Always fancied one so jumped at the chance.

Bottom section went with Gordon on Saturday. He's doing the grip for me. I've specced a burnt cork bottom grip, black Alps reel seat and burnt fading into flor for the top grip. There will be 3 sets of red trip rings with a slice of cactus cork in between.

Had some time today so got stuck into the ferrule wraps. Bearing in mind the top grip I've done a black into red fade wrap. Have decided I'm not happy with the one on the largest section - it's slightly out of kilter with the other two so will get that redone in the next few days.

cross fer.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
Cheers Alan

It's a 12/2 ratio, if you get my drift.

I suspect I miscounted on the large section - that'll get sorted though. I also have a 6 x 6 thread square wrapped in the underside to mark the spine and act as alignment 'dots'.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Cheers Alan

It's a 12/2 ratio, if you get my drift.

I suspect I miscounted on the large section - that'll get sorted though. I also have a 6 x 6 thread square wrapped in the underside to mark the spine and act as alignment 'dots'.
Wraps look fantastic Andy. I had thought about doing a faded colour wrap before but was going to do it bottom up. I'm finishing 2 rods at the moment but will start your handle with the next 3 I start next mate. Will be some point next week.
I can't wait to see the finished article

westie4566

Reaction score
Wraps look fantastic Andy. I had thought about doing a faded colour wrap before but was going to do it bottom up. I'm finishing 2 rods at the moment but will start your handle with the next 3 I start next mate. Will be some point next week.
I can't wait to see the finished article
Cheers Gordon. TBH, I started at 25mm from the end of the section with the red under tension and a loose length of black. Tied off at the equal 6/6 wrap then swapped to black under tension and a loose length of red. It's a bit of a faff until you get into the swing of it.

Nae hurry with my grip mate. I'm just taking my time with this. BTW, dinnae bother putting a winding check on, I've got a rather nice red one here!

All other wraps are going to be divisible by 12 just to keep 'balance' to the whole scheme.

westie4566

Reaction score
Looks very tidy andy πŸ‘ look forward to seeing the handle as TFS's handles always look mintedπŸ‘Œ
What size rod is it andy ?
14' 9 weight Arnold. It's going to slot in between the 15 footers and 13 footers. I suspect a couple of rods will end up for sale! πŸ˜…

Gordon's handles are minted...I have two of his rods here on test atm! I'm perfectly capable of literally 'turning' out a decent grip...done it before many times. Gordon's are way better than mine and when I factored in buying a cork cutting jig it was a no brainer to get Gordon to that bit for me (y)

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Got stuck back into the rod this weekend. All rings now whipped on bar the stripper guides. Although I took the sizes off an existing rod, the Pacbay Minima's were considerably bigger, so sent them back an am awaiting two smaller ones.

Will start getting the finish on the wraps this week.

Cross wraps.jpg

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Got stuck back into the rod this weekend. All rings now whipped on bar the stripper guides. Although I took the sizes off an existing rod, the Pacbay Minima's were considerably bigger, so sent them back an am awaiting two smaller ones.

Will start getting the finish on the wraps this week.

View attachment 59799
Looking great Andy loving those wraps mate. What made you go for single leg guides? I would of put snakes on it. I only put single legs on the spinning rods.

westie4566

Reaction score
Now now Andy, cutting down on weight will never give you the arms you desire.....πŸ˜‚

Love your thread wraps. Red and black look great together πŸ‘πŸ‘

I'm just about to start a build myself!
I gave up on the idea of big muscles on my skinny arms 4 decades ago Nathan. πŸ˜… (A bit like Arnolds(y))

Mind you since then they've survived playing mony a fish and years of trimming huge sails on racing boats on a 2:1 ratio block ratio. They may be small but by God can they work(y)

Ach, I'm just building my new toy how I want it. It's miles off my original build plan....but I'm glad I didn't get too set in stone. I'm liking what I'm doing.

What are you away to build mate? Look forward to seeing it.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I gave up on the idea of big muscles on my skinny arms 4 decades ago Nathan. πŸ˜… (A bit like Arnolds(y))

Mind you since then they've survived playing mony a fish and years of trimming huge sails on racing boats on a 2:1 ratio block ratio. They may be small but by God can they work(y)

Ach, I'm just building my new toy how I want it. It's miles off my original build plan....but I'm glad I didn't get too set in stone. I'm liking what I'm doing.

My body is a temple 😜 they don't call me arnie for feck all you know πŸ˜‚

Screenshot_20210411-223513~2.png

SnapT14

Reaction score

More than functional then Andy. Ideal !!

I'm building a 13ft #8 two hander. It's a 6 piece blank. I will try and post a few snaps of it in progress. Components are there awaiting but the spare time has been in short supply of late πŸ˜’

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just found this thread Andy,

Nicely done on the dressing and I'll be waiting to see the butt section & grips. Alaska is so out of touch I never explored a Loop rod because the first one I ever saw was bright yellow. I've read plenty reports about them being great rods but always had the yellow in mind. I'll watch now for your corks and the complete rod to be shown.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Bought this blank a few weeks ago after Gordon (TFS) posted a link on here. Always fancied one so jumped at the chance.

Bottom section went with Gordon on Saturday. He's doing the grip for me. I've specced a burnt cork bottom grip, black Alps reel seat and burnt fading into flor for the top grip. There will be 3 sets of red trip rings with a slice of cactus cork in between.

Had some time today so got stuck into the ferrule wraps. Bearing in mind the top grip I've done a black into red fade wrap. Have decided I'm not happy with the one on the largest section - it's slightly out of kilter with the other two so will get that redone in the next few days.

View attachment 59259
Wow you did well to get this I’d of thought? I’m thinking this is the same one that flying Scotsman made for his son?
It’s by far my favourite build of his.

westie4566

Reaction score
Wow you did well to get this I’d of thought? I’m thinking this is the same one that flying Scotsman made for his son?
It’s by far my favourite build of his.
Yeah, same source for the blank.

It was the smaller Cross that TFS built for his son, he built the 9140-4 for himself.