loop cross s1 14ft #9

wormo

Reaction score
hi guys had a look back over the threads on the above rod
i briefly owned one back when they first came out and i have one for this season built by RJC rods
so don't expect the action to differ much
what I cant remember is what line I used and as its a while ago there will be new lines out since then
just looking to see what anyone else is throwing on it regarding grain or gram weight ,
standard floating heads and tips is all I need to know whether it be short head spey, shooting head separate or integrated and skagit
I've a ton of lines in the house but fear as they are for my 13ftr they will be too light,
need to get out and try them though but weather and lockdown has held me back
👍

lefthandup

Reaction score
I only use a Rio afs 9/10 but sometimes use a 10/11 on it.
Personal preference really, likewise on my 13ft with an 8/9 or 9/10 to load it deeper
Good post...I see many threads on here about lines and rods matching up but as you state ....most rods will take a line next one up .
I find it's when you go the other way the match doesn't suit for obvious reasons..ie, the rod won't load.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I had one built by Ross of RJC rods last season. I found it was lovely with the gaelforce 9/10 54ft spey line and shooting heads from 35 to 37g for my taste. With the alps down locking reel seat, it's a much better balanced rod than the factory version.
FCH

lefthandup

Reaction score
We had this rod out today and tried it with 2 skagit lines.
Rio skagit max long 575 grain
Rio skagit max short 650 grain
Both with t14 -15ft tip.

Although both were good the 650 grain was the clear winner....by a fair distance.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
hi guys had a look back over the threads on the above rod
i briefly owned one back when they first came out and i have one for this season built by RJC rods
so don't expect the action to differ much
what I cant remember is what line I used and as its a while ago there will be new lines out since then
just looking to see what anyone else is throwing on it regarding grain or gram weight ,
standard floating heads and tips is all I need to know whether it be short head spey, shooting head separate or integrated and skagit
I've a ton of lines in the house but fear as they are for my 13ftr they will be too light,
need to get out and try them though but weather and lockdown has held me back
👍
A 600 rage works sweet on this rod.
I built one last year and love it

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Wormo,
if you had a Cross 14' #9 from the very earliest production batch you may well find a significant change with a newer version. Some of the earliest ones had a flaw that killed the second section stone dead, leaving all the action and work to the two top sections, with not much flex or feel getting through to your hands.
Like many Loops it works best if you go up a line weight.

wormo

Reaction score
Wormo,
if you had a Cross 14' #9 from the very earliest production batch you may well find a significant change with a newer version. Some of the earliest ones had a flaw that killed the second section stone dead, leaving all the action and work to the two top sections, with not much flex or feel getting through to your hands.
Like many Loops it works best if you go up a line weight.
thanks , just saw your post , as yet I've not had it out but see the centuary lines are heavily discounted , im looking to get one to try they are short head spey lines choice is either 38g
or 42 g , whats your thoughts ?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I never went as high as 42g so I’d suggest starting at 38g and seeing how it goes. Please also bear in mind that it was close to 10 years ago I was using an S1, so I may be inaccurate in fine detail.

Karl-K

Reaction score
My favourite line was the Rio Scandi 610gr, only let the rod go as my shoulder was goosed, typically it’s fixed now, so regret letting it go, it was my go to rod, one of the originals with the 3m, no flat spot? I’ve replaced it with the 7x, roll on April till I can have a proper play with it.