Loop Cross S1 13ft

Rennie

Reaction score
My new acquisition has caught me out somewhat,in that it needs more than my existing 8/9 heads cut at about 31g.
Now my existing 13ft LPXe go's fine with these lines,however I did have an Ultra Spey 8/9 at 39g which I felt was too heavy for the rod.I am thinking one of these would be ok for the cross,another option I think is a Rio Scandi head at 34 g.If there's any feed back on heads for the cross,all ear 'oles.
Pedro.

porteouz

Reaction score
Springer done a review of that model on here. He reckons 38g is the sweet spot

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Dazza

Reaction score
I like the following lines but I haven't got the easiest of casting strokes:
Rio AFS 8/9 34g
Gaelforce ESH, EIH or EIHH in 9W 34g
Gaelforce Skagit Patriot 550 grain
Airflo Rage Compact 540 grain

say

Reaction score
Just goes to show what seems nice for one person isnt for the next.

I had a go with a 13ft Cross S1 the other week with the 34g Rio Scandi and the line flew out like a rocket with very little effort.

Ended up buying the 14ft from the classified section and this rod is a different beast from the 13ft rod. However the AFS 9/10 felt too heavy for me on this rod but the 8/9 AFS works a treat.

I guess some like a well loaded rod where others like a more lightly loaded rod.

They are cracking rods that have a more relaxed style, which I prefer.

Last edited:

Mayfly20

Reaction score
Loop Cross 13'

I have the 13' 2", 8#, 6 piece Loop S1 ... a fantastic rod! Despite not being a hugely proficient caster, I can throw a really long line with this rod. I just love the smooth, but powerful action.
I have tried the AFS Outbound 8/9 on the rod and this works well. The line turns over well, leaving a delicate presentation; great for use with small flies later in the season.
My best results, in terms of distance, is with the 8wt Rio Scandi Versitip Short and Rio Connect Core Running Line. The presentation isn't so delicate but the line just flies out!
I have a 15' LPXE 10/11 ... also a great, positively reviewed rod, but for me this Loop Cross is even better and my 'go to' rod now.

Henke

Reaction score
I use 30-34 gram
I my view GL 3D's in 31-32 grams are perfect match.

We have different wishes so it will be individual.

One thing that is very important to mention(I think) is the different lineprofiles from one brand to another (and also within the same brand).

I a lot of weight is put in the backend of a line - I think you could go for a lighter line than if the weight is distributed more even in the line (shooting head).
A very nice rod (the 13' version) and a straight forward rod I think.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Bex from here uses 31g Salmologic heads on his 14 cross, they fit the rod very well, for me its the best line I've ever tried on that rod, we also tried the 28g which also went like a rocket although we were only casting plastic sunrays at the time. if you want to try any I could send you a couple of sizes, maybe 31 and 33g

Rennie

Reaction score
Thanks one n all,since I've had the rod only had it out once on a howler of a windy day.Unfortunately theres been no water in the Ribble since I got the rod.My first casts were with my Guideline short cut floater,Scandinavian fly lines floater and various other heads at 31g with either a 12ft tapered leader n tippet or poly and tippet..In all honesty the rod felt like a plank! and wasn't worth owning.My 11ft switch felt far better and cast further and easier.My existing LPXe would leave it for dead!.Now circumstances weren't great for its first cast,so before any final judgements are considered it needs a proper go with suitable lines.What I don't want is another rod for 9/10 lines-got two very good 'uns all ready and it does say 8 on the rod! which is what I really need.
Yours at the moment,slightly frustrated.Pedro :confused:.

ibm59

Reaction score
I tried a 9/10 Jocko Monteith floating multi tip with on a fellow syndicate rod's 13' Cross a couple of years back , Pete. 10' tip fitted.
Flew off the proverbial shovel despite not exactly being 13' rod fare.:)

Rennie

Reaction score
I read that bit on another post Brian,hence my thoughts on the 8/9 Ultra Spey at 39g.Had one before,but it was too heavy n long for my 13ft LPXe so I let it go.Hoping I'll gel with the rod with 34g,if not an expensive mistake and off it go's.!
Pete.

say

Reaction score
Thanks one n all,since I've had the rod only had it out once on a howler of a windy day.Unfortunately theres been no water in the Ribble since I got the rod.My first casts were with my Guideline short cut floater,Scandinavian fly lines floater and various other heads at 31g with either a 12ft tapered leader n tippet or poly and tippet..In all honesty the rod felt like a plank! and wasn't worth owning.My 11ft switch felt far better and cast further and easier.My existing LPXe would leave it for dead!.Now circumstances weren't great for its first cast,so before any final judgements are considered it needs a proper go with suitable lines.What I don't want is another rod for 9/10 lines-got two very good 'uns all ready and it does say 8 on the rod! which is what I really need.
Yours at the moment,slightly frustrated.Pedro :confused:.

I'm really surprised you are frustrated with this rod and the LPXe is a fast actioned rod and like a poker compared to the Loop. Try slowing down and don't try to force this rod as it won't perform.

I've had the LPXe previously and struggled when I first bought one as it was faster actioned than anything I'd previously owned. A bit of time getting to know one another was all that was required.

For comparison, I was fishing my 14ft Loomis Stinger and the 14ft Loop Cross last week and for me the Loop was the more satisfying to fish with.

John McElroy

Reaction score
Hi Rennie,

I've tried a few lines on mine.

Best and easiest to cast was 34g Rio scandi, closely followed by airflo rage compact 540 and airflo skagit 540.

The skagit handled 15 foot of t-18 with aplomb.

Cheers

John

Rennie

Reaction score
I have a Rage 540 myself John McE. so that will be getting a swing or two and an SSVT in 8 weight,I am also gravitating towards the 34g Rio Scandi at the moment.
Say,when I put the rods up together side by side,its the Loop thats the poker and not the Lpxe-mines the 4 piece!-,the Guideline has much more action further down the blank than the Loop which does surprise me somewhat,but things are what they are.
So,we'll see what step two brings about-there is a 550 Floating Skagit on the way,another option is the 15ft tips on the SSVT over the 10ft tips to give the grain weight and length or the 34 g Scandi.
I don't like a deeply loaded rod or a light load n high line speed,but prefer it right down the middle-hence the 34g in my head over 39g as suggested by Springer and a few others,or the 30g which hasn't worked for me so far.
Of course I'll post my findings,or the rod will be up for grabs as I don't want another rod with 9/10 39g heads.
Pedro.

easky

Reaction score
Have you tried/considered any of the GDCs Pedro, I find them very good and use the 7# on my 12ft Cross (7#) and its well matched... for me anyway (we are all different as has already been said!). The 8# is 31g and the 9# 36 g

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Easky,not had much feedback at all for the GDC's,it does seem quite logical,Loop rod,Loop line etc.,just concerned over 31g,my current lines at 31g aren't doing it for the rod.
Pedro.

MikeCC

Reaction score
I tried various lines on my Cross 13' and ended up agreeing completely with Springers review, it works better at 38 grams. Yep sure it will cast 32 grams, Scandi compacts, 540 grains etc etc.....but the reality is it go's best with a heavier line. And just to clarify im someone who doesnt like overloading a rod, far from it, im probably guilty of underlining if anything. So 'yes' whilst it says its number 8 on the tin, it'll cast them fine....but 9/10 stuff go's better on it.

Bex

Reaction score
Tried quite a few lines on the 13' Cross, prefered the Gaelforce heads in 8/9 and the 9/10 54' spey.
Wished I'd held onto the rod to try out the Salmologic heads as they are very easy to use lines.
26g on the 12' Cross and 28g or 31g on the 14' Cross, as to the 13'2" SX it'll throw the 28g with very nice loops. I would certainly try the 28g head on the S1 13 footer, could be what your looking for....

Cheers

Bex

pond.olive

Reaction score
I have been using a Rio Shorthead Spey on my 13ft S1 Cross. With a sink tip on, it took a bit of getting used to, but once familiar, it goes quite well, and, of course, requires less line management. I suspect t that it will go even better without the sinktip, and I shall be trying that out next week, so will report later.

TL
Richard

rs2ford

Reaction score
I like the following lines but I haven't got the easiest of casting strokes:
Rio AFS 8/9 34g
Gaelforce ESH, EIH or EIHH in 9W 34g
Gaelforce Skagit Patriot 550 grain
Airflo Rage Compact 540 grain

Totally agree with you on all these lines. Gaelforce 8/9 Short head spey/switch line at 30g is fantastic also.
I also like the Rio SSVT 8wt.

Cheers Diarmid.

Nath

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is old , but I have just got one of these, so thought I would just continue this thread.

So as I normally use a Rio outbound, as I do like the head and running line integrated, do we think this should be a 9/10 instead of what you would normally think an 8/9? Just based on some comments above that this lines suits a more over loaded line.

I am currently use of a 9/10 on my 9wt hardy demon and it is lovely, so I will try it on there first.

I know galeforce do an equivalent so I might try this for a change? Any thoughts appreciated

rs2ford

Reaction score
My favourite rod ever. I use mine for most of the year and its just as happy with an 8wt Rio scandi short versitip as it is with a 9wt. In longer heads I personally prefer the 34g Gaelforce or Rio Outbound because I like a lighter line generally, so if you prefer a heavier line then go for the 38g.
Its great with an Airflo Rage 540g and the Gaelforce 30g short Spey switch line is excellent also. Not line fussy at all. Just a great rod to cast and fish I am am sure you will enjoy it.
Cheers Diarmid.