Loop cross S1 10ft 7`` #7 switch rod

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Was having a look at this rod in Norris`s after our trip to the Tweed ( low water, one grilse for me, one other caught by another of the party) I was alternating between an 11ft single hander and an 11`6`` switch rod which is really mini double hander. Also I have in mind a trip to Iceland next year to the Midfjardara where the team said that whilst 90% was coverable with a single hander, the wind and occasional wider pool and awkward stance would make a switch rod helpful....

I picked one up, had a waggle in the shop, I liked the top handle which lent itself to both single and double handed casting, the rod isn't overlong so felt good to cast singlehandedly. The bottom handle seems a little short, but given I'd be single handed casting 90% of the time I can live with this....

Has anyone had one, or tried one?

eat the profit

Reaction score
Hello
I have the 10 7 6 weight I use it in varying water levels
The best line i matched it with was a 9 weight evotec 100 and i use different sinkl rate polys off it
The river i use it on distance is not a issue
A long cast would be 20 yards
I find it great for spate river fishing
When the water is low i fish a Evotec 85 8weight off it
Hope this helps

Last edited:

French Salar

Reaction score
Hi,
I've the 10'7#7 since one and a half year.
I use it with the snowbee switch line floating in 300 g (around 20 grams) and it's perfect.
Loop recommend to use it with 22 grams but with time I think it's too heavy so 20 grams is enought.
It's a really powerful rod with a lot of sensibility.
It's perfect fot grilse's fishing in midle and small rivers.
So 1 week ago I bought in john norris website the 12'2#7 in 6 pieces.....

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Thanks French Salar, I weakened in the Norris's sale and bought the rod anyway, I've only test cast in the field ( anyone contemplating getting in a river just yet?) but it seems the #8 guideline switch loads it well, I've also got that snowbee switch line you mentioned, so I'm hoping I'll be sorted....two switch rods now, I promise to stop there!

Method man

Reaction score
I know that the last comment on this thread/rod was more than 4 years ago but looking for any further information
What would be the preferred rod between the 10’7 switch & the 11’ travel rod taking into consideration that the 11’ st is a faster action
I will be varying between overhead & single Spey but curious to know everyone’s preference
Cheers MM

drwc

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I’m looking at the #7
I'd also be interested in line recommendations for this rod - the 10'7 7wt. Would get a 5/6 Barrio Switch but not sure they'll be available in time for an upcoming trip

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
I'd also be interested in line recommendations for this rod - the 10'7 7wt. Would get a 5/6 Barrio Switch but not sure they'll be available in time for an upcoming trip

Did you ever settle on a line for this rod ?
I have one myself but wondering what you went for

ballintemple

Reaction score
I have the Cross ST 11' No 7 switch and found some threads here on the question of appropriate lines. Wetwader posted very useful advice, recommending 17-18g heads for single-handed use. I got one (a WF8F) and when giving it an outing recently for a few days on a spate river, found the combination perfect. I was overhead casting much of the time, hitching etc, but it would spey a nice length of line when needed. A 22g line would kill the action for this kind of fishing, and to my mind spoil the great versatility of the rod.
BTW it's a superb rod, one of the best designs of any rod I've handled. It's a shame that the travel versions of the S1s are being phased out.

drwc

Reaction score

After a lot of research I settled on a Wulff Ambush in 8.5wt (325gr). Haven't had the chance to try it yet, should do next week though.

Method man

Reaction score

I wouldn’t say “settled” on a line but only tried a couple
I think it really depends on what your requirements are, this rod has a decent range IMO
The loop tactical #6 is nice & goes well on it. Ideal for a bigger smaller river? if that makes sense?
I tried the barrio slx #7 Which is more delicate for close quarters & presentation, overhead & roll casts but also good on a single spey.
i made the mistake of putting a salmon poly leader on it, it didn’t like it very much ? so will be using trout poly’s going forward.
nonetheless it’s a really nice rod with good feel so a few more line trials & I’m sure I’ll settle on a good set up.