loop 7x

skagitmonster

Reaction score
anyone had a throw with one yet ? from the advert blurb these rods should cast as far as a bullet can travel ,land as soft as cotton wool on water and catch you every salmon in a twenty mile radius while only weighing in at 3 grams , hang on didn't the cross s1 already do this ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
Using one now , I don’t think my casting makes the most of it but it feels completely different to the S1 , the lack of spine due to the hexagonal design and stiffer but seems accurate even at short distances which the s1 didn’t to me, throws a line well.

rs2ford

Reaction score
The Cross S1 range was hardly a game changer, but was such an easy blank to get on with and a lovely fishing rod at the same time. I have a few of them, but would I change them for the 7X at £1200..eh no thanks.
Cheers Diarmid.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
The Cross S1 range was hardly a game changer, but was such an easy blank to get on with and a lovely fishing rod at the same time. I have a few of them, but would I change them for the 7X at £1200..eh no thanks.
Cheers Diarmid.

You, we, must be getting sense. LTS better anyway ...

Loxie

Reaction score
I've not bought a brand new rod since 2007, and I don't think it has in any way affected my results. The vast majority of fish I catch are on rods that were new in the early 1990's. I do the odd one on my airflo 6wt switch that I was given.

I spoke to someone who has the 10' 6wt 7x and he was raving about it. According to him, and he has several thousand salmon to his name, it's in a league of its own. But I'm happy with what I've got, the unbeatable Omri Thomas deluxe!

Mattytree

Reaction score
I’ve never brought a new top end rod or salmon reel always second or third hand so thought I would treat myself.
I don’t have really any other hobby’s cars or bikes and obsessed with fishing so why not , happy with my choice it certainly feels like no other rod I’ve used and I’m looking forward to progress my fishing and casting with it, I can’t explain why I think it would help you would have to use one yourself to feel it.. I quite fancied the vision that gets good reviews as I love there single handed rods but could find no stockist and I do love my S1.

tenet

Reaction score
Interesting regarding Spines - I lifted this from the Harrison web page and they ought to know about rod blanks.

Ok, back to spines, excuse the pun.......... First, what is the spine?

Rod blanks are made by rolling a pattern around a mandrel. Like a swiss roll, there is a start and an end to the "roll" and they can produce a hard and soft side to the blank. That is, if you roll the blank whist slightly bent, there can be a feeling of almost a bump in stiffness in one part of the blank. If you hold the tip in one hand and twist with the other, whilst keeping the rod bent, you are most likely to feel this. Holding the rod tip against a wall or floor whilst rolling the rod will do the same. Often the spine coincides with a slight bend in the blank, as ths spine tends to pull a slight curve during the cure. Many builders would say find the stiffest side of the blank, mark it and put the rings in relation to it. But they dont agree where! Some say at 180 degrees to the spine, some say at 90. One going for the stiffest plane, one for the preffered plane of bending. There are arguments for both. I have listened to all the arguments, spent more time thinking about them than most, and I feel I have as good knowledge of the subject as anyone, but I cannot offer you a simple answer. But I do say the following, and this I know is right. Instead of twisting the flexed rod bent over a hand or some other artificial fulcrum, you hold the rod at the handle end, with a weight hanging from the other. That is you load the rod at the tip and hold it at the butt like you do when fishing. Now roll the rod through 360 degrees, and voila, the sensation of the spine has disappeared. Yes, if you do this in a special jig you will detect a tiny variation in the apparent test curve due to a spine, but it is so small you will not detect it in real life. The spine as many rod builders detect it is an artefact of an artificial test. But like a lot of rodbuilding questions, there are no strightforward answers, so talk to someone else about the spine. However, if you want my advice, for what it is worth! Put the blank together and rotate and adjust the sections until the rod is as straight as possible, any natural curve in the rod bending upwards, then place the rings on the underside.

Harrison rods rodbuilding tips

Last edited:

Mattytree

Reaction score
Have just given the 7x a work out with sink tips(15ft Rio 8-9ips) and big heavy tubes.. . I’m really impressed , usually I struggle a bit with this set up but it punched them out further than it casts a floating line and turned them over beautifully...which makes me wonder if I should be going up a line size for the majority of my fishing with a light intermediate tip or floating line with smaller flies?

ibm59

Reaction score
Have just given the 7x a work out with sink tips(15ft Rio 8-9ips) and big heavy tubes.. . I’m really impressed , usually I struggle a bit with this set up but it punched them out further than it casts a floating line and turned them over beautifully...which makes me wonder if I should be going up a line size for the majority of my fishing with a light intermediate tip or floating line with smaller flies?

What length and line rating ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
What length and line rating ?
14ft 9# it says the line ratings are 585-625g the Rio 9# versi tip is 585 g when I spoke to loop they said the rod was capable of going up a class but I’ve never done that so wondering about the pros and cons.

duncan

Reaction score
Had a cast yesterday with the 13’ 2” #8 Loop 7 X, all I can say is stunning! Very very easy to cast, tracked beautifully, very light in the hand. Has plenty of power to lift a 15’ fast sinking tip and heavy tube.
Will I spend £1180 on one, I would if I could justify it or if my GASS broke and I was looking for a replacement.

VetteG

Reaction score
You can save a hundred quid if you buy from Europe!...If you Hurry! :lol:

Last edited:

Markymac

Reaction score
Its unreal how good these rods really are. They make fishing so enjoyable and have a great action and power

Jamross65

Reaction score
Anyone tried the single handers?

Yes, the 9' and 9'6" 7wt. They are outstanding rods. I tried them both with a Rio Single Handed Spey line which is also a fantastic overhead casting line, in the field and they will throw the whole line to the backing join without any real effort. Now I know it isn't all about distance but the accuracy and feel in them is fantastic. I understand the concept in the design but not sure whether or not it makes a difference in the real world, but as a top end rod comparable with others I have tried they are right up there.

On another note I spent the day yesterday playing about with and fishing with the 7X 13'2" 8wt. I used a Rio Intouch Scandi Outbound 34gr line, a Loop SDS Micro tip (2g) and a 12' tapered leader. All I can say is WOW! What a rod. The line speed the rod generates is incredible and the tip stops instantly, allowing for very tight and stable loops in the forward cast. It is a stiff rod especially in the lower part that seems to like being really pushed (pulled) hard into the cast, which may not suit everyone, but that is how I found it and actually really liked it. I use several LTS salmon rods which I also enjoy fishing with and they are very different in action and style of casting stroke required, they almost seem 'relaxed' by comparison. I have a 14' Loop ST and loaded with 38gr or 42gr heads it can throw a long line. I would bet the 13'2" 7X would match it in a lighter package. I feel that the 13'2" 7X would genuinely cope with anything I require of a rod in Scotland, including the bigger rivers using Scandi/shooting head style lines.

They may be expensive and hard to justify but so are top end Sage and MacKenzie rods. I like the idea of a lightweight rod in a shorter length covering 99% of my fishing needs. Obviously I used it with the Scandi style shorter heads and have no idea how it would work with longer spey lines. At a guess I would think there are better out there for that purpose and application but that aside this is one of the most impressive rods I have cast with in recent years and we get to try a lot of guests rods on the beat.

Last edited:

Andy Musgrove

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be given one last year, a 9ft6 5 weight single hand rod. I would never have paid nearly £900 quid for a rod but having said that the rod is first class. Well made, top end fittings and that spine set up seems to really work. Might sound bonkers but I use this instead of my old Greys 7weight Streamflex and it copes with everything from a Bario DT to an OPST micro slag it line with tips. Really impressed. These new rods cope so much better that I do now find myself using two weights down to what was needed years ago.

Karl-K

Reaction score
It’s just a shame the Loop dealer network in the UK seems to be poor now, I would love to try the 7X out as there’s no way I would part with £1200+ without trying it (And I have to admit I do fancy one) but the nearest place I can find is 4hrs away. Not so long ago Norris’, Fawcetts etc carried the loop range but sadly no longer.

Cascade

Reaction score
It’s just a shame the Loop dealer network in the UK seems to be poor now, I would love to try the 7X out as there’s no way I would part with £1200+ without trying it (And I have to admit I do fancy one) but the nearest place I can find is 4hrs away. Not so long ago Norris’, Fawcetts etc carried the loop range but sadly no longer.

Might be worth ringing Wayne Jones in North Wales about having a test cast.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Yep I saw something on FB about them, I’ve emailed to see if they carry the double handers as well, thanks for the heads up