Loop 14' Cross ST vs an SX or S1 - views

jasons

Reaction score
Hi ,
im interested in the Loop Cross 14' #9wt ST due to its packable length for travelling. Really interested to hear from anyone who has this rod and especially their views on:

1. how it compares to the SX ( fast to fast) - does it lose any feeling/power/presentation for being a 6 piece.
2. how it compares to a M/F S1
3. any ideas why its 13g lighter than the SX for the same action even though it has 2 extra joints?

I have a Mackenzie graphene Atlas that I bought after etsting the FX1 in the same size (no demos available at the time). From my limited experience, although good its not the same rod as the FX1 unfortunately.

Many thanks

jason

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Very familiar with M/F S1 14/9, planned to buy six-piece version but after trying a friend's I changed my mind. Six-piece less alive.

LTS about to introduce a range of six-piece salmon rods. I use their 13 6 six-piece and really like it.

1kofly

Reaction score
Very familiar with M/F S1 14/9, planned to buy six-piece version but after trying a friend's I changed my mind. Six-piece less alive.

Personally six piece is more versatile for me: from floating to deep sinking lines with no effort.

1kofly

Reaction score
Hi ,
im interested in the Loop Cross 14' #9wt ST due to its packable length for travelling. Really interested to hear from anyone who has this rod and especially their views on:

1. how it compares to the SX ( fast to fast) - does it lose any feeling/power/presentation for being a 6 piece.
2. how it compares to a M/F S1
3. any ideas why its 13g lighter than the SX for the same action even though it has 2 extra joints?

I have a Mackenzie graphene Atlas that I bought after etsting the FX1 in the same size (no demos available at the time). From my limited experience, although good its not the same rod as the FX1 unfortunately.

Many thanks

jason
As I see the model charts - SX weights 270 g and I see no data for ST. 13g less stands for 13’6”
Paweł

Tangled

Reaction score
I bought the Loop back in early March after a couple of recommendations from two guides that had been testing them independently for Loop and a third that owned one. I needed a good travel rod. Sadly, it's still has the plastic on the handle as all travel fishing was cancelled the week after I bought it.

I can't tell you how good it is or compare it to the other rods as I'm yet to use it, all I can say is that it comes highly recommended by people that know an awful lot about rods and casting. (And it was half price!)

1kofly

Reaction score
Check their website.
Nano resin is expensive.
They would write about it - as they do with S1 / SX rods.
So it is just an assumption as I understand. Do you think they would produce the same model but in 6 pieces with different materials? Hard to believe.
Update: I found in catalouge froom 2017 it is the same Cross Core tech.

Last edited:

Pati

Reaction score
Hi

ST, S1 and SX are all Fast rods.

ST MF and S1 MF are fast Medium Flex
SX is fast Tip Flex

ST MF = S1 MF : fast action mid flex. same blank same technology only the number of sections changes. You will be hard pressed to feel any difference in casting them, they are very very minor (if any).

SX is a fast action tip flex and more recent release in the cross series.

I know there is also an ST-F available but don’t know much about those

My understanding is that all Cross series rods are based on a specific 3M resin for Loop: Loop was competing with Hardy for buying 3M’s sintrix exclusivity, when they lost they worked with 3M to get an improved version of the powerlux nanoresin which is used for all Cross series. You could call it Poor man’s sintrix (bear in mind the rod taper and quality of the carbon are probably more important than the difference between one nanoresin and another!).

I strongly suggest you email Loop : in my experience they will answer your questions within 48h. Also the cross series are quite well discounted at the moment in the loop outlet store of the loop website!

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi

SX is fast Tip Flex

ST MF = S1 MF : fast action mid flex. same blank same technology only the number of sections changes. You will be hard pressed to feel any difference in casting them, they are very very minor (if any).

My understanding is that all Cross series rods are based on a specific 3M resin for Loop: Loop was competing with Hardy for buying 3M’s sintrix exclusivity, when they lost they worked with 3M to get an improved version of the powerlux nanoresin which is used for all Cross series. You could call it Poor man’s sintrix (bear in mind the rod taper and quality of the carbon are probably more important than the difference between one nanoresin and another!).

I strongly suggest you email Loop : in my experience they will answer your questions within 48h. Also the cross series are quite well discounted at the moment in the loop outlet store of the loop website!
The Cross S1 3M is a medium fast action with a mid curve flex. Not a fast action rod.
Cheers Diarmid.

Pati

Reaction score
The Cross S1 3M is a medium fast action with a mid curve flex. Not a fast action rod.
Cheers Diarmid.
Hi Diarmid

Loop language is confusing but all Cross are fast (some are faster than other but all are fast), by that I mean fast tip recovery. The real difference is in the flex profile (and obvious then a mid flex will never recover as fast as a tip flex, unless it was faster than the tip flex in the first place - which I concede to you S1 and ST MF are not faster than tip flex SX).

I hope it somehow clarified!

Last edited:

1kofly

Reaction score
Hi

SX is fast Tip Flex

I got this answer:
The S1 is original 3M Nano resin and the ST is LOOP’s later version of the same resin. ST is generally a faster action than S1.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi Diarmid

Loop language is confusing but all Cross are fast (some are faster than other but all are fast), by that I mean fast tip recovery. The real difference is in the flex profile (and obvious then a mid flex will never recover as fast as a tip flex, unless it was faster than the tip flex in the first place - which I concede to you S1 and ST MF are not faster than tip flex SX).

I hope it somehow clarified!
I get your drift Pat. I have 3 Cross S1 rods, all 3M resin blanks and all medium fast. I also have an ST 7124-6 which is a fast action and noticeably so. Stiffer in flex and quicker in recovery for sure.
Very nice little rod though.
Cheers Diarmid.

keirstream

Reaction score
I had a 14ft S1 shortly after it came out being sucked into the "Gamechanger" marketing hype.
I moved it on within a week or 2 as it had a real flat spot which was concerning when playing a fish.
It made me feel that enough was enough and put no more pressure on for real fear of a breakage.
It also was not happy with any form of sinking line.
Basically, in my opinion (for what it's worth and only personal) it had no backbone.:(
Rather surprisingly though, the 12ft Cross S1 is the best wee double hander I have ever had with
around 25 fish on it coupled with a Gaelforce hover and inty tip last Mid July to Mid September, biggest a nice liced 20lbr.
An amazing set up and yet the blanks are out of the same stable??????:unsure::unsure:

Dohhhh!! Didn't notice it was the travel version 6 piece you were asking about..
Apologies.

Petekd

Reaction score
I had a 14ft S1 shortly after it came out being sucked into the "Gamechanger" marketing hype.
I moved it on within a week or 2 as it had a real flat spot which was concerning when playing a fish.
It made me feel that enough was enough and put no more pressure on for real fear of a breakage.
Basically, in my opinion (for what it's worth and only personal) it had no backbone.:(
Rather surprisingly though, the 12ft Cross S1 is the best wee double hander I have ever had with
around 25 fish on it coupled with a Gaelforce hover and inty tip last Mid July to Mid September, biggest a nice liced 20lbr.
An amazing set up and yet the blanks are out of the same stable??????:unsure::unsure:

Dohhhh!! Didn't notice it was the travel version 6 piece you were asking about..
Apologies.
Interesting, seems to be a turkey in the range there. I have the S1 81364 and I have used nothing else since I bought it, it’s a gem of a rod. I am watching this thread with interest, I have half a notion of the 15’ ST for the Swedish jaunts but that’s solely based on the love of the #8 S1 and not because I need another travel rod!

P!scator

Reaction score

Apologies.
You must have got a Friday rod, I've had a 14" S1 since they came out & have yet to cast a better rod - it's the bomb!

keirstream

Reaction score
You must have got a Friday rod, I've had a 14" S1 since they came out & have yet to cast a better rod - it's the bomb!
That, in common with most "mass" production items, even cars, can happen.:)
Difference was, the bomb in my hand was about to blow up.:D
Thing is, I know several people personally who have had the same experience as me with that rod so, maybe you have just been lucky?

Jock

Reaction score
Try lifting/rolling a sinking line out the water and you will find the flat spot. Alternatively try an overhead cast with your floating line. Not noticeable with a full floater in a spey cast. It was dear old Springer that first identified the fault and I remember saying to him was he sure. He said yes. So at the first opportunity I had, I tested the 14 footer out myself. Was great spey casting the floater but sure enough the fault became obvious with a sinking line. Maybe you did get a good one , I hope so

1kofly

Reaction score
I know.
Developed 2010, sold to Pure Fishing in 2013.
And now LOOP´s "later version" - whatever it means.
It would stay a mistery probably, but whatever if it works great, i mean for me, I have two of STs and they are exceptional.