Longer trout rods.

Piker20

Reaction score
Hi folks. Has anyone used any of the longer trout rods for grisle/sea trout?

I'm looking at the agility2 #7 in 10 or 11ft as these come with the added handle which should make shooting heads easier to flick out.
Not really wanting a switch rod that needs 300 grain plus to load it.

staxigoe

Reaction score
Better with the 11 if its for wick keeps it away from some off bankside weed beds .i used fish wick with trout rod but now use switch rod

tenet

Reaction score
I have used a Diawa Lochmore Z 11'3" with an extension handle using trout weight forward 7-9 lines in low water on the Thurso and Stinchar. To be fair it was mainly overhead casting.

You can get switch rods rated for trout which would give need a much lower grain weight that you mentioned and spey profile lines to suit.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
I have used a Diawa Lochmore Z 11'3" with an extension handle using trout weight forward 7-9 lines in low water on the Thurso and Stinchar. To be fair it was mainly overhead casting.

You can get switch rods rated for trout which would give need a much lower grain weight that you mentioned and spey profile lines to suit.
Is there many people doing the trout spey rods yet ? I was looking as i prefer a double handed rod and fancied going after brownies again next summer but there seems to be only a couple of people selling them in the uk and limited lines etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
Is there many people doing the trout spey rods yet ? I was looking as i prefer a double handed rod and fancied going after brownies again next summer but there seems to be only a couple of people selling them in the uk and limited lines etc.

I've got a 12' 6wt double hander. I tend to use it mainly single handed which rather defeats the object as it's a heavy rod to use single handed all day!

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've got a 12' 6wt double hander. I tend to use it mainly single handed which rather defeats the object as it's a heavy rod to use single handed all day!
I was looking at these small 5 and 6 weight rods they are starting to use in america now, they look like good fun but arent really mass market yet.

squimp

Reaction score
Sage used to make an 11ft 3” 6wt 2 piece rod. They are now very sought after.

I think Mick Bell at Bloke rods now sells ‘long’ single handers. If they are anywhere near as good as his ‘normal’ single handers, they will be good.

lax0341

Reaction score
I use to fish a 10ft class 8 single hander sometimes in the late spring and summer in Ireland and Denmark. It’s a Hardy Gem Mk 1
3piece rod and very comfortable for such circumstances.

loopknot

Reaction score
I use a 11ft 3in, 7/8wt trout rod with a wf8 line that has handled some decent summer fish on my local river Thurso pretty efficiently in low water conditions. Has a small screw in butt extension if I need it. Its a Sonik SK4 and I cant fault it since it was first bought.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have a sage one 11ft 6” 4wt switch rod. It’s very nice. I use it to practice my Spey casting by fishing for trout. I use the Airflo switch floater in a 270 or 300gr which does everything I need it to. It’s a great little rod but I had to get it in the US when on a business trip. Got a very good price though

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
If you have a look on eBay from time to time you might see a Sage XP 11ft 6 weight, great rod which is lightweight, gives great reach and not too harsh action. A few pop up on eBay.

munro

Reaction score
I have been thinking on the B&W 10FT 6 for a 8, poss getting handle made double handed rather than extension.
It kind of worries me fishing for Salmon as low as #5/6 lines. and it becoming the fish plays you not the otherway round. fish being exhausted by overly long battle.
I have a 11ft 4 weight and a 10ft 3weight for trout and grayling wet fly and bugging, had sea trout up to 4lb browns to 3lb on, Still in control but it can take a bit longer. And they give a good show of therselves. I used to use a 9ft 3weight for dry fly with rainbows from a drifting boat with fish in excess of 5lb and it takes time, i gave up as it was taking a while to revive fish at times.
I just feel you should tackle with the target species in mind, and rods down to 5/6 weight were not designed for salmon. Imagine a lively grilse having you all over the place or a good summer salmon. on deep solid runs.
A lot of modern rods i think are built and designed more designed as casting tools and made as light thin walled blanks, and are not as compotent as others in a main aspect to play a fish with a bit of command when needed. To the point my modern salmon rods are all gone now and replaced by B&W Norways and Speycasters and Lohric built blanks, which i have always liked
Just had a senior moment a mate had a B&W think it was a silver century (or was that a seagull outboard) 11ft 3" 5/7 lines sold as a grilse rod. had a through action you could feel the power from the butt, you could lift a floating line and shoot a good distance no false casts , It was like you leaned back slowly on backcast and then forward on forward cast, that was a powerfull rod for an 11ft 5/7 Slow full parabolic action that you could feel the corks opening up on long cast or good fish.

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
It was the B&W Century Grilse , Mr T.
I had one.
Powerful rod.

Piker20

Reaction score
I have been thinking on the B&W 10FT 6 for a 8, poss getting handle made double handed rather than extension.
It kind of worries me fishing for Salmon as low as #5/6 lines. and it becoming the fish plays you not the otherway round. fish being exhausted by overly long battle.
I have a 11ft 4 weight and a 10ft 3weight for trout and grayling wet fly and bugging, had sea trout up to 4lb browns to 3lb on, Still in control but it can take a bit longer. And they give a good show of therselves. I used to use a 9ft 3weight for dry fly with rainbows from a drifting boat with fish in excess of 5lb and it takes time, i gave up as it was taking a while to revive fish at times.
I just feel you should tackle with the target species in mind, and rods down to 5/6 weight were not designed for salmon. Imagine a lively grilse having you all over the place or a good summer salmon. on deep solid runs.
A lot of modern rods i think are built and designed more designed as casting tools and made as light thin walled blanks, and are not as compotent as others in a main aspect to play a fish with a bit of command when needed. To the point my modern salmon rods are all gone now and replaced by B&W Norways and Speycasters and Lohric built blanks, which i have always liked
Just had a senior moment a mate had a B&W think it was a silver century (or was that a seagull outboard) 11ft 3" 5/7 lines sold as a grilse rod. had a through action you could feel the power from the butt, you could lift a floating line and shoot a good distance no false casts , It was like you leaned back slowly on backcast and then forward on forward cast, that was a powerfull rod for an 11ft 5/7 Slow full parabolic action that you could feel the corks opening up on long cast or good fish.

This is a very good point. There definitely is a balance to playing the fish safely and enjoying the fight.
I've used a #5 trout rod in salt water and the sea trout are great fun but definitely swim off stronger when caught on the #7
I've found casting a longer leader easier on a heavier rod too.

munro

Reaction score
This is a very good point. There definitely is a balance to playing the fish safely and enjoying the fight.
I've used a #5 trout rod in salt water and the sea trout are great fun but definitely swim off stronger when caught on the #7
I've found casting a longer leader easier on a heavier rod too.

Fishing effectivley also comes into it, what if you want down a bit cones/beads brass tungsten, lead foil wire, tips or poly leaders. I hate when you have a line out and the rod has a bend in it from the tow of the flow. Taken some of the fighting power out the blank

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
I bought a B&W Powerlite 11' 3'', #6, 3 pc, from Fawcett's back in '96. It was about £150 then and has non-standard B&W reel fittings, a fighting butt and claret whips on snake eyes. I bought it for Heb. drift fishing for salmon but found it too heavy for a full days outing and neglected it for about 20 years. Then I dug it out for evening sea trouting on the Spey and really enjoyed it, particularly with a #7 line and for only a couple of hours at a time. It did catch me an 8 lb sea trout one night and the curve in that fine, long blank against the dying light remains one of my best fishing memories.
While it will roll a WF line out nicely enough it doesn't have a 'micro-Spey' lower grip, just the f/butt and I principally overhead with it.

Best of luck finding something which suits you, just keep an eye on the weight factor if you're of average build/strength.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Sage used to make an 11ft 3” 6wt 2 piece rod. They are now very sought after.

I think Mick Bell at Bloke rods now sells ‘long’ single handers. If they are anywhere near as good as his ‘normal’ single handers, they will be good.

I have one of these 11ft 3" 6wt 2 pice Sage rods sitting doing nothing. How "sought after" are they?

John Keane

Reaction score
I had the Bruce & Walker Century 11’3” #4-6 in the 70s/early 80’s and I used it for bank & boat fishing for trout and for sea trout at night. I had a Masterline Revolution Neutral Density line that I used to grease up for floater fishing and de-grease for casting across the wind with small wets and buzzers. It was a staggeringly good line in a crosswind, only sinking an inch or two to fish a straight, slow retrieve.

When replacing a broken Scierra rod on insurance in the late 90’s I saw a secondhand one and took it out for a trial. I couldn’t believe how heavy and sloppy it now felt and wondered why I loved it so much in the first place. I ended up with a Grey’s Platinum X 10ft #7 which is still one of the best rods I’ve ever had.

Piker20

Reaction score
I've gone with a rod from the states. 11' 240grain spey rated. Should overhead a #5 and plan to use barrio SLX #7 for poly leaders and simple scandi casts.