Longer shooting heads..... what’s out there....

neilfly1

Reaction score
on my 14ft 9wt, I usually use guideline 3d+ heads in 37g which are great with limited back cast /tighter places etc But where I want more distance and have more room, I would really like a longer head, either ”3d” or multitip of 13-15m, but can’t find any that aren’t very heavy! On this rod 44g for a 60ft Spey belly line feels nice, and 36/37g shooting heads of 11-12m .
I assume that if I want a 14/15m head I would be looking at around 40g? But a little unsure... don’t want it to feel too heavy and clumsy, but realise I will likely need to go up in weight a little for turnover and shoot ability/carry of a longer head....at least that’s my assumption...
what shooting heads are out there in this sort of length and weight??

Rennie

Reaction score
If you scout round, you should find some of the original Guideline Rune Marthinsen (excuse spelling!) heads floating round.Long since discontinued, but much longer heads.Also Airflo's Delta Spey line is available as a head only, no integral running line, that might suit you better and readily available too.
I use Mackenzie heads on my Loomis rod, they're 13.5 m long.
There are a few longer heads out there ,try Googling should give you a few idea's.
Bear in mind, because a heads longer it will require an increased technique to get the best from it!.
I've two Guideline Long Distance heads kindly passed to be by Hakan Norling himself for my 17ft LPXe, they're in the region of 17m long and boy do they go on that rod!, but you'll be very lucky to source any of those!.
Checking old stock lists might help you, G.A.C. etc can often throw up suitable stuff.
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score
The gaelforce extended multi tip is about 48 feet ranging from an 8/9 to 10/11
Yip what I was thinking,

One of these.

neilfly1

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, I first thought of the gaelfirce equaliser extended but was bit concerned that their lightest offering 8/9 would feel heavy at 44g! But perhaps due to the longer length of the head...44g would feel ok?

will have a look for those older guideline heads too, thanks every one

neilfly1

Reaction score
If you scout round, you should find some of the original Guideline Rune Marthinsen (excuse spelling!) heads floating round.Long since discontinued, but much longer heads.Also Airflo's Delta Spey line is available as a head only, no integral running line, that might suit you better and readily available too.
I use Mackenzie heads on my Loomis rod, they're 13.5 m long.
There are a few longer heads out there ,try Googling should give you a few idea's.
Bear in mind, because a heads longer it will require an increased technique to get the best from it!.
I've two Guideline Long Distance heads kindly passed to be by Hakan Norling himself for my 17ft LPXe, they're in the region of 17m long and boy do they go on that rod!, but you'll be very lucky to source any of those!.
Checking old stock lists might help you, G.A.C. etc can often throw up suitable stuff.
Pedro.
I am confident my technique will be fine for these longer heads as have no issue with 60ft belly Spey lines on this rod

pfeul

Reaction score
Guideline 4D distance body 9/10/11 (8m long, 29 grams) in different densities + 4D tip (18 ft long 12 g) ? About 14 m long and 41 g?

mc andy

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, I first thought of the gaelfirce equaliser extended but was bit concerned that their lightest offering 8/9 would feel heavy at 44g! But perhaps due to the longer length of the head...44g would feel ok?

will have a look for those older guideline heads too, thanks every one
They wouldn't make them that weight if it wouldn't work. Longer heads, are always going to carry more weight than shorter lines for the equivalent line weight.

I haven't personally done it? But many on here have said how amicable James chalmers is for line advice (Gaelforce) Possibly worth a call.

Cheers andy

porteouz

Reaction score
They wouldn't make them that weight if it wouldn't work. Longer heads, are always going to carry more weight than shorter lines for the equivalent line weight.

I haven't personally done it? But many on here have said how amicable James chalmers is for line advice (Gaelforce) Possibly worth a call.

Cheers andy
Yep definitely, he will have an idea what line suits your rod, he's tried most of them. I've met James once and he was keen to try a few different lines on my hardy Marksman as at that time he hadn't used the 14'8. From memory it was the 10/11 he tried on it and it handled it no problem, the rod is rated as 44g.

Pompero

Reaction score
LTS Custom is around 44 feet, but made for cutting at preferred length I think. Outgoing now so probably resonable if you can find it.

neilfly1

Reaction score

Cheers andy
Yes am certain the rod is capable of handling it, just don’t want it to feel heavy on the rod thats all. For example i had a 41g 38ft head lying around that I tried on it, casted fine....but it felt really horrible compared to the same head length in 37g.... hence my hesitation for going upto 44g for a shooting head. Would love to “try before I buy” As lines aint cheap!

neilfly1

Reaction score
Yep definitely, he will have an idea what line suits your rod, he's tried most of them. I've met James once and he was keen to try a few different lines on my hardy Marksman as at that time he hadn't used the 14'8. From memory it was the 10/11 he tried on it and it handled it no problem, the rod is rated as 44g.
Will shoot him a message and see what he says, thanks