Longannet to close next year,

allan angler

Reaction score
As some may have seen in the news today longannet power station is set to close around this time next year,

Staying in kincardine myself i know the effect this is going to have on the local people i have alot of friends that work there,

But possibly one good thing that could come from this from a fishing point of view is that the water intakes will no longer be sucking smolts/sea trout/ and returning salmon from the forth estuary on a daily basis so possibly in the next few year forth anglers could see a big increase in returning salmon...

AA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemmy

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance on this topic.....is there any evidence to support damage caused to fish numbers ?

allan angler

Reaction score
ive seen pictures of dead salmon that have been found in the filters, and heard from people that work there and from other forum members.

Last edited:

Hemmy

Reaction score
Thanks.
Pity about effect on jobs etc but on a selfish note hopefully good for us !

chrishconnolly

Trade Member
Reaction score
Longannet

Well a negative apart from the obvious unemployment for the area is no more hot water outlet means no more bass to be caught they do seem attracted to the warm water as I have experienced myself some years ago taking 21 schoolies in an evenings fishing.All returned I might add.
But the positive there will be no more supposed fishermen trying to rape the water for all the bass they can get to sell them on for profit.
OOps sorry rant over but allan angler you are quite correct back in the 70/80s we got alot of whitebait for sea fishing from the filters at Longannet and yes there were bigger fish sucked in there all the time.

chris

allan angler

Reaction score
I never even thought about the outlet, although never been down for the bass for years, i used to go down there alot,

I remember my mate used to bring sparling/small cod/ etc for pike bait, he got them
From the longannet filters, im sure they actually employ people escpecially just to clean the dead fish out

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Payback

Mr Cameron is certainly putting the boot in now.
Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.:mad:

allan angler

Reaction score
Power Stations in the south are welcomed in to the national grid with open arms and a great deal.
No such deal for Longanet and Scottish Power,to get in pay the full price or close.:mad:
Yup thats the way it seems, without getting too much into politics it looks like new nuclear power stations to be built down south

porteouz

Reaction score
I never even thought about the outlet, although never been down for the bass for years, i used to go down there alot,

I remember my mate used to bring sparling/small cod/ etc for pike bait, he got them
From the longannet filters, im sure they actually employ people escpecially just to clean the dead fish out

They don't employ people just to carry out that role but yes it is part of someone's role.

It is a sad day indeed, lots of people losing their jobs and a huge impact on the surrounding area.

the dipper

Reaction score
Not sure where all this information on small fish being sucked into intake vents is coming from . The outlet is warmer than the surrounding water and does attract bass . There is also a large nature reserve created with waste ash . but with 280 jobs on the line plus the supporting jobs it is indeed sad news.

Stu101

Reaction score
Think it was the Peterhead plant chosen instead.

allan angler

Reaction score
Ive just been told that, Small fish do get sucked in, as well as large fish. they then get taken to fish waste skips where they are eventually sold for fish food, cod, sparling, salmon, bass, conger, silver eel, squid, and even porpoise heads, are among the things found regularly in the filters

keirstream

Reaction score
It Comes From Here

Not sure where all this information on small fish being sucked into intake vents is coming from . The outlet is warmer than the surrounding water and does attract bass . There is also a large nature reserve created with waste ash . but with 280 jobs on the line plus the supporting jobs it is indeed sad news.
We have been fighting Scottish Power for years on this subject but unfortunately when big business is involved you bang your head against a brick wall. Even the F.D.S.F.B. have swept this subject under the carpet (would you expect anything else?) Corporations with deep pockets simply treat environmental vandalism as part of the cost of production and don't try to sue them, their pockets are much deeper the anyone else's.
They admit to the loss of 5000 salmon smolts per year but anecdotal evidence tells of skip loads taken off site under cover, anything up to 50000 per year. Any inspection was carefully planned and stage managed with the screens strangely pristine. As you can see , even Government agencies such as S.E.P.A. are careful what they say.
It should be noted however that we campaigned for improvements to the intake screening procedure and would never condone loss of jobs.

Response to T Monahan RFAA.jpg
Response to T Monahan RFAA (2).jpg

Last edited:

porteouz

Reaction score
There is/was a project running to trial a fish return system. The idea was the fish would be returned rather than put in a skip to die. I would imagine with today's events the funding for this will now be pulled.

keirstream

Reaction score
Get Your Facts Right D.B.

Longannet was already on borrowed time due to carbon regulations and was on a useful life extension already. It had at best 10 years left and even that was optimistic in the extreme. This hasn't been pulled out a hat and it's nothing to do with Cameron or indeed any unionist party but more to do with the green agenda so vigorously pursued by Salmond and Wee Jimmy.

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Whats the word?

There is/was a project running to trial a fish return system. The idea was the fish would be returned rather than put in a skip to die. I would imagine with today's events the funding for this will now be pulled.
Will it take several Years to close or will it be quicker?
What about the coal trains from Hunterston,train drivers will be affected as well.
The folk moaning about the rail traffic will be happy and the Bett flats in Stirling will rocket in price.

porteouz

Reaction score
Longannet was already on borrowed time due to carbon regulations and was on a useful life extension already. It had at best 10 years left and even that was optimistic in the extreme. This hasn't been pulled out a hat and it's nothing to do with Cameron or indeed any unionist party but more to do with the green agenda so vigorously pursued by Salmond and Wee Jimmy.
Not sure I would agree with that 100%, there are plenty of coal fired stations south of the border that will face the same fate, some already have

porteouz

Reaction score
Will it take several Years to close or will it be quicker?
What about the coal trains from Hunterston,train drivers will be affected as well.
The folk moaning about the rail traffic will be happy and the Bett flats in Stirling will rocket in price.
As it stands it will close next March. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rail link through alloa closed again Derek. It really is sad times

keirstream

Reaction score
Why Disagree?

Not sure I would agree with that 100%, there are plenty of coal fired stations south of the border that will face the same fate, some already have
If you read what I said it's the green agenda pursued globally , not by any individual party that is causing these decisions to be made against coal fired stations, an agenda the was embraced enthusiastically by Scotgov who have desecrated our landscape with hideous monstrosities rather than invest in carbon filter technology.
Fossil fuels are out nowadays unless you are Chinese, Russian or American.

porteouz

Reaction score
If you read what I said it's the green agenda pursued globally , not by any individual party that is causing these decisions to be made against coal fired stations, an agenda the was embraced enthusiastically by Scotgov who have desecrated our landscape with hideous monstrosities rather than invest in carbon filter technology.
Fossil fuels are out nowadays unless you are Chinese, Russian or American.
Yes I read it and understood it fully ;) but as much as I dislike salmond I don't think I can blame him for this

You are correct though carbon capture or a similar technology should have been the route taken

Last edited:

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
I thougut it was reported in the news/press that they gave a large discount to energy companies down south when joining into the national grid, but did not offer the same to Longanet and Scottish Power,maybe because of carbon regulations.
But they still said no!!!!!!!!
That is why Scottish Power are closing it down.
I think that was right Tom

Gamekeeper

Reaction score
Tom,

Which rivers do you think will benefit the most from this in terms of smolts saved and therefore returning adults?

(With longannet being on the north side).

Last edited:

DOON ROD

Reaction score
There is no such thing as scottish power . It is Spanish power . Iberdrola . So what if they lose their money making power station ? I feel sorry for the folk that worked there but not for a Spanish utility company .