Loch Lomond & river Leven 2020

salmo76

Reaction score
There's an update on website fishing will NOT be open on 28th May as the SNP Gov will only announce there update at lunch time, so if all's well it will be Friday before any angling will commence. So only 2 days to catch a springer.
Is it fairly clear in the guidelines that all types of fishing will be allowed including boating / kayaking /sailing activities or will fishing be restricted to onshore only ?

tealblue

Reaction score
Salmo 76 I,m just quoting what the committee has said on there website. Looks like they are following the letter of the law here.

salmo76

Reaction score
Salmo 76 I,m just quoting what the committee has said on there website. Looks like they are following the letter of the law here.
Hopefully all will become clear in the days ahead and the committee will update us with the facts from Scot Gov as they come out. Reckon there might be a bit of an uproar from other boat users / sailing enthusiasts / kayakers etc if anglers are allowed out on boats and they are not.

elmo1234

Reaction score
Guys, pretty new to the system and in need of some advice. Should the system open on the 28th what are the best tactics in terms of Salmon/ sea trout flies lines etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

salmo76

Reaction score
Guys, pretty new to the system and in need of some advice. Should the system open on the 28th what are the best tactics in terms of Salmon/ sea trout flies lines etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Floating lines with sink tips , various densities depending if the gates are open or not is what I see most using these days . Intermediates and slow sinkers used to be popular too and worked well in the past. It`s not an overly wide river in most places so you don`t need to be a long distance caster by any means, to take fish imo. Most do well with a down and across traditional swing method as there is generally plenty of good streamy water, especially when the gates are down (sometimes it can be too big for some runs though ) Traditional flies in 6 - 10s seem to do well in a large variety of patterns i.e allys , cascades , irish shrimp patterns etc. don`t be afraid to try your own favourites, as there has been legions of patterns that have caught salmon in the leven. You can pick up the odd seatrout fishing for salmon (a young chap got a 10lber last year at Bonhill pool on the fly ) but most probably get caught night fishing in low water using the usual night fishing styles , black hairwings , silver bodied styles , grub patterns etc 2-10s. Floating lines or sink tips say.

elmo1234

Reaction score
Cheers for the info. Just one further question, in terms of tippet length either straight off the line or the sink tip, what length are we talking about.πŸ‘πŸ‘

salmo76

Reaction score
Cheers for the info. Just one further question, in terms of tippet length either straight off the line or the sink tip, what length are we talking about.πŸ‘πŸ‘
Back in the day, tippet length for most on the Leven was just level 12 - 15 lb nylon line around 10 - 12 ft long , which worked fine using the small drury trebles most used. Nowadays it appears to be much more complicated I believe and there is quite a lot of posts on this forum that go into the theory of tippet length and taper theory required for best presentation, depending on the weight and style of the flies used. Worth a search as it is all on here. I would think that basically, for the style of flies I`m talking about, probably a tapered leader around your rod length gives best presentation but I reckon if you`re feeling lazy the old method would still catch fish.

elmo1234

Reaction score
Back in the day, tippet length for most on the Leven was just level 12 - 15 lb nylon line around 10 - 12 ft long , which worked fine using the small drury trebles most used. Nowadays it appears to be much more complicated I believe and there is quite a lot of posts on this forum that go into the theory of tippet length and taper theory required for best presentation, depending on the weight and style of the flies used. Worth a search as it is all on here. I would think that basically, for the style of flies I`m talking about, probably a tapered leader around your rod length gives best presentation but I reckon if you`re feeling lazy the old method would still catch fish.

salmo76

Reaction score
Got it mate cheers. It’s poly leaders I use. πŸ‘πŸ‘
|If you are using a full floating line then the poly leader would be part of the leader and you would reduce your nylon length a bit in order that your leader doesn`t end up being too long..

Rennie

Reaction score
Elmo,I'm not a leven fisher, but 12ft of nylon is far too much off any Sink tip or Poly tip, you won't have effective control of the fly's depth at all like that.
From a Poly. 6ft of leader is fine from a Hover or Inty. Poly,dropping down to 3ft from the fastest 6.5 ips Poly. with a weighted flee.
If your fishing a bona fide sink tip or 15ft Multi tip, then use a 5ft poly. of equal or faster sink rate to the tip in use with 5ft of leader to the flee!, giving a leader length of 10ft in addition to the sink tip in use.
Were I you, I'd go through some of the threads on here regarding leader arrangement, on shooting heads and Multi tip lines etc. and absorb them!.
All the best, Pedro.

tealblue

Reaction score
Just seen this on web site absolute morons:mad: I hope the book gets thrown at them.

StuA15

Reaction score
Permit purchased today, i will be down the estuary on the first suitable tide as soon as they say go!

GTB

Reaction score
L.L.A.I.A Just updated their website reminding members and anglers that the full Lomond system and all L.L.A.I.A controlled waters are still closed to all forms of fishing and will remain closed the full day tomorrow the 28th pending greater clarity on when Scottish Government indicate tomorrow exactly when Phase 1 and fishing can recommence, L.L.A.I.A website will then be further updated exactly when fishing can start again.

Cheers GTB

GTB

Reaction score
L.L.A.I.A Just updated its website given Scottish Government move to Phase 1 of program for the COVID-19. All details can be found at:

System will open at 00.01hrs tomorrow Friday 29th May.

Good luck to all that are intending to go out over next few days. R Leven on summer low, but will get normal weekend freshet from Scottish Water Friday lunchtime.

Cheers GTB

Gman

Reaction score
Wonder who,when and where for the first piece of silver this year? Must be a record being this late πŸ˜€

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Anything off the river today?, I'll probably wait till next week before venturing out let the masses get it out their system first

GTB

Reaction score
Anything off the river today?, I'll probably wait till next week before venturing out let the masses get it out their system first
Rosslinden0, Yes there was a 9Lb fish off the river early this morning, also a good few Sea Trout around the 3 - 4Lb mark, before the sun starting to put serious anglers away, didnt hear anything from the Loch other than Sea Trout and one angler getting a run off a far bigger fish.

See what tomorrow brings.

Cheers GTB.

elmo1234

Reaction score
Guys, does anyone know if O’Briens are selling River Leven annual permits or is it just weekly and day tickets. Cheers