Llandovery AA

Markymark1182

Reaction score
Hi lads,
Myself and my mate were thinking of heading down to the Towy to fish Llandovery AA at the end of June for Sewin. Anybody fished it at that time of year? Is it any good? Any hints or tips appreciated. Cheers

gwelsher

Reaction score
Aled is your man to ask.
I used to fish the Tywi at Llandovery several times a week in the past, starting 40+ years ago. It was a 6 hour round trip but well worth the effort. The fishing was fantastic.
Then bit by bit the fishing declined. I think the final nail in the coffin was when the Sea Empress went down in 1996 spilling her cargo of oil.
We were assured by the authorities that the river was not affected but to fishermen the catastrophic decline in catches in the following years was obvious.
Like many diehards we kept trying but I finally threw in the towel about 10 years ago.
There are still some fish to be caught but you need to be local and able to go at the drop of a hat when the fish are.

Markymark1182

Reaction score
That’s great info. Thank you. I remember the Sea Empress disaster. Is there anywhere else in wales you would recommend?

gwelsher

Reaction score
Unfortunately all the fishing has declined. On the Tywi Golden Grove is probably your best bet. The Cothi could be worth a visit. The Teifi has always produced quantities of fish but a smaller size. The Dyfi is probably the premiere river with big fish.
All this is hearsay as I'm not up to date with what is happening these days.
Hopefully one of the local lads will be willing to give you some help.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
I would recommend Llandeilo over Llandovery. Llandeilo has more water, 9 miles of good fly water, which is almost all double bank. Llandeilo also has water on the cothi, which is the Tywi’s main tributary.

Llandovery has good fly water below Llandovery town. Both can produce. Given low water conditions, the fish will find it difficult to penetrate as far upstream as Llandovery.

Handel

Reaction score
Mark you haven't said whether you want to fish in the day or at night and whether you fly fish or want to spin. Late June usd to be prime time for fly fishing at night given the right weather. I am not sure that is still the case. The run seems to be later. But you don't want to be too far up river in June.
Aled on here runs Llandeilo AA and they have a lot of good fly water. If he doesn't comment send him a PM.