List of Largest 35 lb+ Irish Salmon ever caught/found (Not in Fred Buller's)Books

nore fly

Reaction score
The front cover of salmon of the river Lee book by Dan o Donovan looks like it has a few big ones on it..
Published by cork salmon anglers association.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
close but no coconut ...

The front cover of salmon of the river Lee book by Dan o Donovan looks like it has a few big ones on it..
Published by cork salmon anglers association.

Fine fish indeed Nore Fly - and they were all caught in the garden of Inniscarra House one morning in the early 1950s by Reggie Roper - the man in the pic - before breakfast. Details around weight and exact date are sketchy but those fish fall well short of the Inniscarra house record which stands, and will stand, at 38 pounds.

Fishing & Sporting Books | Coch-y-Bonddu Books

Last edited:

nore fly

Reaction score
20181221_212310.jpg20181221_212313.jpg

I got a good look at the mount juilet fishing records for the 20s and 50s ..mouth watering stuff...I will post some pages and remember they are just the catches of a small group of 2 or 3 anglers

Last edited:

nore fly

Reaction score
20181221_215044.jpg
HTML:

I have a few more pictures to post ..the pictures appear normal in my gallery but appear side ways when I post them any ideas on how to rotate in my edit section..Thanks..

For the month of February in one of the years the fish average weight was 21.5lb....

Last edited:

tmca

Reaction score
Great photos/Info Nore Fly - what year is that?

KGM/Jack - a great photo from Corbally. Some very big fish still out there. I was fishing the Boyne this last year and saw a very large fish one morning early (6.30 am) during the very hot weather in mid June. Had to be well over 30lb. All the fish in the river were 10-15lb I saw all year apart from this one fish I saw which was more than double that. I caught 2 fish, 14lb and 10lb. This fish was much much bigger. Only saw it’s head and part of its back as it came out of the water. The head was close to a foot long from gill edge to tip as it came out of the water in front of a large flagging stone which is about 2 foot wide. The head was just under half that.

Last edited:

tmca

Reaction score
Here's a few other fish I've found, many thanks to the Ridge Pool Tackle Shop for allowing me to share these from their Facebook page.

This is a great photo, as per the Facebook post, this is Johnny Roche posing with one of the last legally netted Salmon on the Moy. It was captured in the Moy Fishery company's netting station, at Rehins upstream from Ballina in 1947, and weighed 44.5lb. This is also apparently one of the last Salmon to be caught in a fresh water netting station in Ireland.

The Cribben brothers with an approx 30lb (or more) fish from the Moy's Ridge Pool in the 1950's.

A 27lb salmon from the Moy in the 90's.

Michael Egan's two fish from the Moy 1962 weighing 25.5 lbs & 11.5 lbs.

Last edited:

Mulcairman

Reaction score
Hi im new to forum fish im going to mention are not 35 pounders but i can say a river thats not mentioned here produced 2 twenty pounders in 1988 thats the mulcair, also i remember the date i helped net a salmon of 24 lb from the river in june of that year ! My friend caught one of over 20 lb in 91 from this river! What a river it was i saw and i mean saw salmon of over 25lb in this river and i mean i watched them in the fish pass for ages also saw the ascend the river in november! Also i told well known baliff their was a huge summer salmon below the weir in annacotty he laughed at me then the fish emerged one leap and ascended the weir no small salmon could have done it i know this fish was over 25 pound could have being 30 plus! I saw fish spawning 20 pound plus what a river it was great spawning beds esb opw ruined it just hope it survives the ifi think a run of 4000 salmon a year up the river is a good run i saw 5000 salmon ascend the weir in one day yes i counted them ! Once saw 450 salmon go over the weir in one hour in agust 91 the ifi opw and irish goverment should be ashamed of what they ve done! Not a rich mans river so they did not care

nore fly

Reaction score
Seen a few pictures of large salmon caught on the corrib on facebook ...someone might have a link ..think it was a trout fishing page about the corrib ...

tmca

Reaction score
Hi im new to forum fish im going to mention are not 35 pounders but i can say a river thats not mentioned here produced 2 twenty pounders in 1988 thats the mulcair, also i remember the date i helped net a salmon of 24 lb from the river in june of that year ! My friend caught one of over 20 lb in 91 from this river! What a river it was i saw and i mean saw salmon of over 25lb in this river and i mean i watched them in the fish pass for ages also saw the ascend the river in november! Also i told well known baliff their was a huge summer salmon below the weir in annacotty he laughed at me then the fish emerged one leap and ascended the weir no small salmon could have done it i know this fish was over 25 pound could have being 30 plus! I saw fish spawning 20 pound plus what a river it was great spawning beds esb opw ruined it just hope it survives the ifi think a run of 4000 salmon a year up the river is a good run i saw 5000 salmon ascend the weir in one day yes i counted them ! Once saw 450 salmon go over the weir in one hour in agust 91 the ifi opw and irish goverment should be ashamed of what they ve done! Not a rich mans river so they did not care
Fascinating, I heard before there was (and probably still is) big fish on the Mulcair.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I once read an amazing description of the Shannon where huge salmon of fifty pounds and more would smash the tackle and line on the rocks, these fish were legendary before the Hydro Electric scheme wiped them out.
It may of been Traherne himself who penned the article?

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Alot of Big fish were caught on the Slaney, there was a 35 to 40lber caught in the 80s on the Tullow Anglers Stretch on a yellow belly Devon by a club member, it was well known locally but i dont know if it was ever recorded and if pictures exist.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
The Suir (and still probably is, shhh!) the premier big fish river in the country. I know of at least four 20+ fish on my club this season, hooked and lost one myself too. There was a 29+ fish caught just below kilsheelan too.

Mulcairman

Reaction score
Fascinating, I heard before there was (and probably still is) big fish on the Mulcair.
Im not sure if big fish on mulcair now mid 90s as runs started to fall , i remember seeing some huge salmon ascend the weir at ballyclough the fish pass their plenty of fish mid teens the odd 20 plus fish , i remember i saw a huge hen fish hard to say size but she was big , in river around agust i remember she was easily 25 plus , quite fresh , i watched her in the fish pass with a well known poacher , he even said no id not take her the river needs fish like that plus he said he d never have held her she would have broken him ! Also i know of a fish a confirmed 40 pound salmon caught in the salmon ladder on the shannon for breeding im almost sure the fish was a 40 pound hen fish wild too , not sure if esb even recorded this but lad who worked their told me