List of Largest 35 lb+ Irish Salmon ever caught/found (Not in Fred Buller's)Books

JACK POWER

Reaction score
What once was ...

Anyone who'd like to get a flavour of how wonderful salmon fishing - and rough shooting and Irish gundogs - was like less than a century ago could to a lot worse than read the chapter

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

Irish Bogs: Sport and Country Life in the Irish Free State
by John William Seigne
Longmans, Green and Company Limited, 1928.

Seigne, a British Navy man, complains that there were hardly twenty 40 pounders caught in the Nore - if memory serves - the previous year!
And if anyone has a copy they'd sell I'd love to hear from them
Best
Jack, who may have been born 100 years too late

tmca

Reaction score
Anyone who'd like to get a flavour of how wonderful salmon fishing - and rough shooting and Irish gundogs - was like less than a century ago could to a lot worse than read the chapter

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

by John William Seigne

Seigne, a British Navy man, complains that there were hardly twenty 40 pounders caught in the Nore - if memory serves - the previous year!
Best

I'll have to check that one out! Might be on google books.

Andyantiquefly

Reaction score

"A Hut on the Lee"

in

by John William Seigne

Best
let me get this right,he was complaining that there had only been twenty or so 40lb fish caught in the Nore,wowzers when one reads stuff like this it makes it clear how things have changed.

There was so much more food back then I guess,around the same time they used to fish for 1000lb tuna off Scarborough on the back of huge herring stocks

Andyantiquefly

Reaction score
Great article below on one of the very last living Castleconnell ghillies from the Cork Examiner, May 10th, 1976.

Some huge fish listed here including one of 64lbs, easily beating the Irish record.

A very interesting read - Many thanks to forum member Jack Power at the Irish Examiner for this.

Great read,there's a great read in Taverner about Castle Connell in its prime and it's scary reading indeed,the hooking part wasn't the problem it was landing em,apparently they bust up sturdy gear for fun in the powerful currents of the Shannon.
I guess if you tame the river the fish don't need to be large supreme athletes anymore?

ballintemple

Reaction score
More Boyne salmon

Frank Luce, (son of A A Luce, mentioned earlier in the thread), got a fish of 37lbs from the Mollies on the Blackwater at Navan around 1965. I heard the story from him and his brother John Luce. Dublin angler Rory Harkin, who many Irish salmon anglers will know, had a 33lb fish from the Stackallen beat, lower down the main river Boyne, in the same year I think.

ballintemple

Reaction score
Re Frank Luce's salmon, I had the year wrong - it was 1966, April. A scale was sent for analysis & it was a 3 sea winter male fish.

tmca

Reaction score
Frank Luce, (son of A A Luce, mentioned earlier in the thread), got a fish of 37lbs from the Mollies on the Blackwater at Navan around 1965. I heard the story from him and his brother John Luce. Dublin angler Rory Harkin, who many Irish salmon anglers will know, had a 33lb fish from the Stackallen beat, lower down the main river Boyne, in the same year I think.

ballintemple many thanks for that info. I'll add it to the list.

tmca

Reaction score
One from Buller - A 51-52lb River Bandon Salmon

I think this is the first time I've put a fish from Fred Buller's book on the thread, but the image says it all.

An incredible photo of a time long past which would remind you of a scene from Ryan's Daughter.. This 51-52lb salmon was taken in the River Bandon's estuary in drafts nets.

There is no information on the year from Buller, but from the looks of the image it would probably be post war, late 1940's maybe stretching to 1950??

As below, this photo was copied from a framed photograph that can be seen in the Bulman Inn, Kinsale. The book also notes that there is also a cast of a 35lb salmon in the Spaniard Inn, also in Kinsale.

Last edited:

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Bandon lump

I wonder if you may be a decade or two out? Pic looks like 1920s to me ... remember there was an amazing run of amazing fish in last half of 1920s to Irish rivers. What a fish though, the Bandon is so low today that the fish would hardly be able to run it.

reddie

Reaction score
Excellent stuff tmca, thanks a million for putting that up! What a photo and some size of a fish.
Jack Power you're dead right, river really needs a flood to get fish moving again.

tmca

Reaction score
I wonder if you may be a decade or two out? Pic looks like 1920s to me ... remember there was an amazing run of amazing fish in last half of 1920s to Irish rivers. What a fish though, the Bandon is so low today that the fish would hardly be able to run it.

Yup it could be earlier I just thought it looked around the 1940's as the image seems so clear - there's no date in the book. It is hard to estimate it.

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
Thats some brute alright, was fishing for bass last week near Ardmore saw alot of salmon jumping quite close to the shoreline, one particular fish was mid twenties at a guess, hopefully its genes will get a chance to flourish.

Salmo salar

Reaction score
"they're up there"

Great read,there's a great read in Taverner about Castle Connell in its prime and it's scary reading indeed,the hooking part wasn't the problem it was landing em,apparently they bust up sturdy gear for fun in the powerful currents of the Shannon.
I guess if you tame the river the fish don't need to be large supreme athletes anymore?

An English angler passing through Castleconnell called to Shanks in the late 1960's. They talked of the great fishing and when the angler asked where all the salmon were gone, Shanks stood up, went out onto the street and pointed up to the power lines "they're up there"!

crewesader

Reaction score
Tiddler

What a fish. The others aint bad either.
Such a fuss such a little fish ? A employee of the EA in England had a 38 lb of the Coquet a 42lb of the Ribble and a 53 pounder of the Lune just last week (Quote) he says all is well our great work is coming to fruition and us anglers have to put more effort in and simply pay more for the right to fish the right beats ??

Andyantiquefly

Reaction score
Such a fuss such a little fish ? A employee of the EA in England had a 38 lb of the Coquet a 42lb of the Ribble and a 53 pounder of the Lune just last week (Quote) he says all is well our great work is coming to fruition and us anglers have to put more effort in and simply pay more for the right to fish the right beats ??
This has to be a joke right?

tmca

Reaction score
Some other Shannon Fish

Elise Hopkinson's 28lb Shannon fish along with another fish of 28lb and two 33lb fish.

From the Journal of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, Fall 2013, Volume 39, Number 4.

Last edited:

Al1978

Reaction score
I say we start a petition to blow ardnacrusha off the Shannon doubt it's even generating that much power when you think of all the modern technology we have now to generate power.I'm sure there would be some Europe directive to make the esb restore the habitat that they destroyed give the salmon a few year's and we could see fishing like the good old days.

tmca

Reaction score
I say we start a petition to blow ardnacrusha off the Shannon doubt it's even generating that much power when you think of all the modern technology we have now to generate power.I'm sure there would be some Europe directive to make the esb restore the habitat that they destroyed give the salmon a few year's and we could see fishing like the good old days.

I agree that something needs done for the Shannon. There are 6,369 likes on the Old River Shannon Research Group site on Facebook..I don't know enough about global water schemes and in terms of best practice - have there been successful strategies to reverse 20th century government water management schemes that have brought back anadromous fish i.e. salmon, sea-trout, char etc to their former runs?Also is the government bound under any EU regulations to reverse antiquated water schemes?

Last edited:

tmca

Reaction score
Not in Fred Buller's Books-One of the largest known Irish Salmon

A massive male salmon weighing 60lb with the typical elongated kype of very large male 4 MSW (+) Atlantic salmon. A beast.

This easily beats Michael Maher's fly caught Irish record salmon from 1874 on the Suir which was 57lb.

This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, year unknown - coming from the river Bann. I think it's been caught from the 1950's onwards from the great condition of the cast??

It says Board of TCD on the case so I think again to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's some reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

Last edited:

luney

Reaction score
Big boy

60lb male salmon (after spawning) 65lb+ on entering the river? This salmon can be seen on the ground floor of the Natural History Musuem in Dublin. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was there.

Netted on Lough Neagh, Year Unknown - coming from the river Bann most likely? I'd think it's Maybe?? 1930's onwards from the great condition of the cast.

It says Board of TCD on it so I think to hazard a guess this was donated by Trinity College Dublin??

With the glass case there's reflections but you can see it fairly clearly.

To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.

tmca

Reaction score
To be honest I would have given it more than 65lb if it has already been through the spawning process. Don't think there would have been too many fish pushed it off it's chosen lie!!!! What a great pity the way things have gone.

Indeed! Still you'd be surprised the size of some salmon still running rivers... Someone just needs to catch one..