18 – Frans Malherbe
19 – Lood de Jager
20 – Rynhardt Elstadt
21 – Herschel Jantjies
22 – Elton Jantjies
23 – Damian Willemse

salarchaser

Reaction score
More surprises in the Lions team than in the SA team if the leaked team is for real.

Expected Lions team: Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong, Alun Wyn Jones (c), Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan.
Replacements: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Iain Henderson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell.

Aled

Reaction score
Good team there salarchaser, i'd swap Beirne and Lawes to start, other than that not much else to say really!

salarchaser

Reaction score
Good team there salarchaser, i'd swap Beirne and Lawes to start, other than that not much else to say really!
Looks like the leak was correct.

Hogg and van der Merwe are defensive concerns for me.
And so much for footwork in the back row being the deciding factor.
Tight 5 looks good as does what comes off the bench.
9, 10, 12 looks sound.
Not sure about the balance of the back row.
Then theres wing and full back.

One thing about Gatland. He doesnt mind making big calls.

Aled

Reaction score
Would love to have seen Rees-Zammit in the team, but his time will come. Right looking forward to watching the game with my Dad on Saturday, the scrummage will be an area for work so i really hope our local boy Wyn Jones does well.

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score
15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland) #783

14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816

13. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822

12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824

11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841

10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821

9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843

1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842

2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825

5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761

6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826

7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853

8.Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:

16. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829

17. Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #840

18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814

19. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838

20. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland) #847

21. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790

22. Owen Farrell (Saracens, England) #780

23. Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833

Hmmm, tricky might have to actually support them

Aled

Reaction score
Ozzyian you beat me to it, i was about to post a message saying "even Ozzyian will be supporting the Lions this time" ......;);)...but no great to see some Scots deservedly in the team, and i would not of minded seeing Finn Russell (injured) or Zander Ferguson being there or thereabouts!

ozzyian

Reaction score
Ha ha, it hangs by a thread!

Ali Price will have to buy Alun Wyns medical people a pint, if AWJ hadn't been there (which is actually one of the more debateable selections in itself) they would have selected Murray.

Russell is still on the tour so they must be thinking that he will be fit at some point - if there's reasonable doubt they put them straight on the plane and get them out of there. I think Fagerson will get a run at some point leaving just Chris Harris - who has been typically strong defensively in the games he's played, possibly a better choice then Daly. I'm hoping Van de Merve isnt exposed defensively - he's a big man and I wonder whether Le Roux and Kolbe - both fabulous on their feet - will be too lithe for him, he'll be just fine ball in hand.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ha ha, it hangs by a thread!

Ali Price will have to buy Alun Wyns medical people a pint, if AWJ hadn't been there (which is actually one of the more debateable selections in itself) they would have selected Murray.

Russell is still on the tour so they must be thinking that he will be fit at some point - if there's reasonable doubt they put them straight on the plane and get them out of there. I think Fagerson will get a run at some point leaving just Chris Harris - who has been typically strong defensively in the games he's played, possibly a better choice then Daly. I'm hoping Van de Merve isnt exposed defensively - he's a big man and I wonder whether Le Roux and Kolbe - both fabulous on their feet - will be too lithe for him, he'll be just fine ball in hand.
Ive no issue with Price, the form 9. I think AWJ got in because they went with Price, so the beer buying should be the other way round. ;)

Id have had Harris over Daly.
My main worry is vdM and Hogg.
Contradictory by Gats to talk about the abilities of the back 3 then say how SA will kick 40 times, twice the average.
If he's worried about their kicking game, which I am, Watson, Williams and Adams is the way to go.

The talk then is about getting at Pollard and look at the Juggernaut pack.
I feel there was an argument to play Curry AND Watson.
I like Lawes as a player but think he's been picked to do the heavy lifting that Itoje doesnt do.

Hey, what do I know.:ROFLMAO:

uskgrub

Reaction score
Ive no issue with Price, the form 9. I think AWJ got in because they went with Price, so the beer buying should be the other way round. ;)

Contradictory by Gats to talk about the abilities of the back 3 then say how SA will kick 40 times, twice the average.
If he's worried about their kicking game, which I am, Watson, Williams and Adams is the way to go.

I like Lawes as a player but think he's been picked to do the heavy lifting that Itoje doesnt do.

I'm gobsmacked that Josh adams has been left out and think Gatland saying he's had an emotional week etc is just a bit of a cop out and i'm a massive gatland fan. The guy has been on fire in both attack and defence and could have done no more, they missed him in that loss to sa a's.
Hog needs to be on top of his game in defence.
Dont like daly at 13
Dont like laws at 6
Other than that im happy 😂 but don't think we will win!

ozzyian

Reaction score

You wouldn't want Hogg or especially VDM running the ball back at you though :) :)

I think Hogg is fine tidying up kicks, the question I have always had with him is that he does seem to get stepped a bit. You want your fb to be a reliable hard tackler as the potential last line of defence. In fairness I don't think he gives much away to Williams on balance plus you get the potential of those broken field runs where he is a right handful.

There was something funny about Gatlands demeaner in that press conference, definitely some strange justifications for selections.

You think Curry could do a job at 6?

salarchaser

Reaction score
You think Curry could do a job at 6?
Depends on if you're setting up for attack or brutal defence.
Gats played Warburton and Tipuric in the same back row.
England use Curry and Underhill in the same backrow.
I think the back row is set up to negate the SA pack rather than exploit their weaknesses.

Aled

Reaction score
I've said this before Gatland is a coach who seems to able to look at the resources he has and can work out how he can use them to win test matches, if he ever coaches England they will win the World Cup. Full stop.
So i'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, lets see how the team goes on Saturday.
Cheers
Aled

Handel

Reaction score
Depends on if you're setting up for attack or brutal defence.
Gats played Warburton and Tipuric in the same back row.
England use Curry and Underhill in the same backrow.
I think the back row is set up to negate the SA pack rather than exploit their weaknesses.
Lineout. The Lions need a proper lineout jumper in the backrow, so Lawes it is. Gatland spent a lot of Lions money to get him on the tour.

If you look at the leaked Lions team it was wrong in one respect, it had a 6-2 split on the bench. Then SA announced a 5-3 split so the Lions changed the bench. But it looks like Lawes is covering an AWJ injury with Beirne coming on at 6. Risky as Lawes has played little at lock since 2019 and has been training as a backrow over that time.

The back three are going to be tested. Like you I am a bit worried by them. I still recall how Rees-Zammit lost van der Merwe in two strides when he scored that try against Scotland.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Lineout. The Lions need a proper lineout jumper in the backrow, so Lawes it is. Gatland spent a lot of Lions money to get him on the tour.

If you look at the leaked Lions team it was wrong in one respect, it had a 6-2 split on the bench. Then SA announced a 5-3 split so the Lions changed the bench. But it looks like Lawes is covering an AWJ injury with Beirne coming on at 6. Risky as Lawes has played little at lock since 2019 and has been training as a backrow over that time.

The back three are going to be tested. Like you I am a bit worried by them. I still recall how Rees-Zammit lost van der Merwe in two strides when he scored that try against Scotland.
No reason not to throw Curry up. Gats used Tipuric as a key jumper. Take the point though.

Saw the bench change.

It'll be an interesting match up.
The big test will be the front 5.

Aled

Reaction score
Gutted Wyn Jones is out injured, was really looking forward to seeing a local boy wearing the famous red shirt.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Gutted Wyn Jones is out injured, was really looking forward to seeing a local boy wearing the famous red shirt.
I now worry about our scrum in the second half.
SAs strongest scrum unit is arguably on the bench and Mako hasn't had the best time.

Gutted for Wyn Jones.

salarchaser

Reaction score
:D:D:D

Glad Mako proved me wrong.
Not one for the casual observer but a great arm wrestle.
Made heavy weather of the first half but took control in the 2nd.
Need a step up next week, in the mean time, happy days.
Lawes my MoM.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Didn't Itoje, the official MoM, prove you wrong as well? He wasn't in your team was he?
Not really. He had a decent game. Still doesnt do enough heavy lifting for me.
2 of his turnovers were when Lawes had done the hard work.
He was quiet for big patches of the 2nd half.
Ill stick with he does the flashy stuff but not enough of the graft for a 2nd row.

Aled

Reaction score
Well a good win, and what a 2nd half performance, Lawes was brilliant, and deserved MoM. Itjo was in my opinion v good as well. S Africa changed their front row second half, the front row they brought on were better all round rugby players, but were less powerful scrummager's! Anyway any win by a team i support against SA is worthwhile so well done the Lions.
Cheers
Aled

ps Don't know how he does it but Gatland always seems to have a plan!

Last edited:

peterchilton

Reaction score
Not really versed in the 'heavy lifting ' involved with those forwards was a back, preferably 10. In my opinion Itoje and Lawes were both immense. I don't like Dan Biggar generally but he had an ok game, unusually dropped a couple of high balls but didn't have much 'go forward ' in him. Daly didn't seem to know where he was or should be, seems like an experiment gone wrong.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Not really sure what to make of it except that the Bokke looked just like a team that hadn't played in a year and a half. They are still a good side stuffed full of very talented players and they showed glimpses of their ability to link the grunt work into the free running backs - not enough of it though. Kolbe didn't see much of the ball however and they'll be ruing a couple of tight calls and unlucky knockons which resulted in one disallowed try and some good position too, Pollard wasn't kicking so well either - did he miss 3 or 2? All in all that was a very tightly balanced game - nothing much in it for me.

Itoje very good as was Laws, good front row too. Elliot Daly will have to have his fillings re-done after that tackle. I was watching with a buddy - when I saw the pass going and de Allande leaving the line I shouted at the telly 'feck, just tip it on' my mate murmered 'wouldn't have made any difference - he was getting it anyway' (the hit):) that was about right I think

From a Scottish point of view VDM didn't see much ball and Hogg the same - he seemed safe enough but I always wonder whether he overplays his hand a bit too often in big games? dunno. Rory Sutherland very good (though Furlong got the credits - being the big name) Hamish Watson dodged a bullet - that tip was a yellow all day long in 2021 - very uncharacteristic of him. Ali Price good and extracted the back row from the sh!t on 2 or 3 occasions - sticking his head where a sh shouldn't be, good player is Price and gets better in the dodgy situations which is a good sign.

One thing for certain next week the Bokke will be back with another 10% of everything! Lets hope we get a bit more rugby, thats all.