Lions in SA

Handel

Reaction score
This tour is going to be 2009 all over again. No serious opposition before the first test. Picking a test team is going to be really difficult.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Ozzyian, your man Watson, he played a blinder on Saturday!
I know, it was a little joke - it seems to be the ready made reason why some wouldn't pick him for the big games.

If you watch him he does a very interesting thing in contact - both when attacking and defending. He has a knack of tilting his whole body forward and still retaining great poise, it has the effect that a tackler can't get anywhere near his legs so they're left with barging and grappling round the torso. Because he's low the tackler has to watch his head area and because Watson has a set of lats on him he just twists and shrugs them off. It makes him nearly impossible to get a hold of!

Aled

Reaction score
As we saw with Robert Jones in 1989, a player like Watson will probably shine when he's surrounded by forwards who are able to look after the breakdown area well, meaning he would be in a position to do what he does well and get running around the park.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
As we saw with Robert Jones in 1989, a player like Watson will probably shine when he's surrounded by forwards who are able to look after the breakdown area well, meaning he would be in a position to do what he does well and get running around the park.
Cheers
Aled
Exactly that Aled.
A balanced team allows you to exploit individual's strengths.
Its not always about the best players. Its the best blend.

Its a reason I repeatedly express doubts about Itoje. As a second row, he doesn't do enough heavy lifting for me. Repeatedly fringing at rucks and mauls and not hitting enough of them.
A personal preference.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Covid causing problems for the tour.
Boks 2nd warm up game cancelled because of cases.
Blue Bulls v lions postponed.
Tonights game pushed back an hour to allow testing as cases were identified in the squad. o_O

Aled

Reaction score
Oh dear, the Lions won, but is this tour going to be a fair one, it seems Covid is going to play its part sadly.
Cheers
Aled

salarchaser

Reaction score
Oh dear, the Lions won, but is this tour going to be a fair one, it seems Covid is going to play its part sadly.
Cheers
Aled
8 changes ahead of kick off, right wing wearing no 10, outside half with no number, players out of position, ending the game with 13 fit players.
Sounds more like a village 3rd team than the UKs rugby elite.

I want us to win the series of course, but I slso want it to be a fair contest.

At risk of becoming a farce.

Aled

Reaction score
8 changes ahead of kick off, right wing wearing no 10, outside half with no number, players out of position, ending the game with 13 fit players.
Sounds more like a village 3rd team than the UKs rugby elite.

I want us to win the series of course, but I slso want it to be a fair contest.

At risk of becoming a farce.
Totally agree with you salarchaser

salarchaser

Reaction score
Just seen the lions team for the 'rematch' wirh the sharks.. 13 changes, all fresh legs. Either we'll be playing their 3rd team or we'll be playing a team backing up 4 days after a hammering. Becoming a bit of a farce.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Well, the rematch was tougher than expected and would have been closer except for an idiotic sending off.
Might have got away with it in the 80s, but not with so many cameras and a TMO.
Probably more questions than answers came from that game.

Looks as if Finn Russell's tour could be over due to an achilies injury.
Marcus Smith flying out today as cover.

Handel

Reaction score
Certainly a shame that idiot decided to get himself sent off. Spoilt what had the makings of a good contest. The Lions backs were very loose and gave too much away. I am non the wiser about the make up of the test team.

Handel

Reaction score
And the South Africans have made up for losing their international fixture last Saturday by fielding the first team as the A team in the Lions next fixture. I wonder if the Lions were expecting that?

salarchaser

Reaction score
And the South Africans have made up for losing their international fixture last Saturday by fielding the first team as the A team in the Lions next fixture. I wonder if the Lions were expecting that?
They certainly need some game time.

Aled

Reaction score
Not seen last nights game, plan to watch the highlights later, but really pleased our local boy Wyn Jones scored!

salarchaser

Reaction score
Well, thats the warm ups out of the way.
Comfortable for the lions in most games other than a close loss to SA 'A'. Then SA lose to the Bulls.
Not sure what can be read into any of that.
Some players have played themselves into the test squad, others out.
Will gatland take that with a pinch of salt or will it influence selection.
Back 3 and back row will no doubt be the lengthiest debates.
Maybe hooker as well.
Will gats go for a brutal back row or look for more finesse? I can see arguments both ways.

Will Murray hang on to the 9 shirt?
Will Mako make the 23?
AWJ to start?
Which of the 3 hookers will start and which will miss out all together?
Biggar and Furlong seem first choices, but outside that, who knows?
Probably the most difficult lions test team to predict for many a tour.

All will be revealed on Thursday. o_O

salarchaser

Reaction score
If Murray hangs onto the 9 shirt I'll be viewing that as a simple exemplification of Gatlands basic lack of desire:)
And his emphasis on credit in the bank.
Ali Price probably the best of the bunch in the weakest position on tour. No 9 playing to their full potential.
On the other hand, all 3 hookers on top of their game.

ozzyian

Reaction score
For me he's been associated with too many high profile England disintegrations to be truly trustworthy. As you say, add to that, one day a ref will blow his whistle after one of those tackles and once that happens its going to need to be a red.