Lines - nerdy question

chriswjx

Reaction score
So, I've noticed line manufacturers seem to like to keep a 4g weight difference between all their shooting heads? Looking at rio and gaelforce for example, the head weights go up from 30, 34, 38/39, 42. Loop 31, 36, 40.

Only Airflo (with the rage compacts at least) seem to go up in 2g intervals.

Considering rio seems to like making about 5 variations of every single line, why not make smaller intervals? Yeah sure, a rod's casting window will definitely fall within one of those lines, but what happens if you like a slightly more/less load and the next line up/down in their manufacturer's range it too big a step?

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Having a line a few grams lighter or heavier than the rod’s recommended casting window will not make much difference. I regularly use 44 gram shooting heads on a rod with a 41 gram recommended line weight. I sometimes take the wrong weight heads to the river for the rod I have, so end up on the river with a 14 ft rod rated 9 weight, but only have a selection of 8 weight shooting heads. Half the time I don’t even notice.

Should you want to be very technical, you could buy shooting heads that are designed to be cut back at the reel end to be a specific weight for your rod, such as guideline triple Ds.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
2 grams is too small to notice for 99% of anglers.

Lines made for the US market are weighed in grains and generally go up in steps of 50 grains, which equates to 3 grams.

The majority of salmon fly lines are made by a small range of manufacturers and rebranded and packaged by companies like Loop, Guideline, Vision, Gaelforce etc.

Henke

Reaction score
Weight is NOT the only issue !
The length of the head AND the taper (even distribution of the weight or more weight to the back?) will have a huge impact....
Much more than many think !!

chriswjx

Reaction score
Cheers folks was a bit of a thought just because I noticed it with the single hand, and wondered if it extended up to the 2 hand.

Weight is NOT the only issue !
The length of the head AND the taper (even distribution of the weight or more weight to the back?) will have a huge impact....
Much more than many think !!

that would be an extension, say if you enjoy the taper of like the Rio AFS, but wanted it in 36 g. But I definitely bow to MCX's experience on this as it was completely a thought on my part.

Henke

Reaction score
And ofcourse MCXFisher is 100% correct in what he writes.
I just put the other dimension into the picture.
Normally I make jokes with friends in Denmark who tells me that a certain rod only will cast well with (let's say) 31,5 gram and nothing else....then I say - okay - we make a head of 3 metres then.... :)

chriswjx

Reaction score
And ofcourse MCXFisher is 100% correct in what he writes.
I just put the other dimension into the picture.
Normally I make jokes with friends in Denmark who tells me that a certain rod only will cast well with (let's say) 31,5 gram and nothing else....then I say - okay - we make a head of 3 metres then.... :)

Oh certainly, like I have a 15ft Loop Multi that I used all spring and felt a deeper load/better response with a 40g Loop GDC head than I did with the 42g Rio AFS. Which also semi inspired my original question, as I would wonder what a 42g Loop GDC head would be like and if it would be noticeable at all 😅