Lines for Loop Cross S1 Switch

rubberwellie

Reaction score
I have bought a Loop Cross S1 10"7 #7 Switch rod and a Danielsson L5W 6nine reel for small spate river work.

I'm looking for a line that I will be able to spey cast and overhead cast with, does anybody have any recommendations?

I jumped the gun and bought a Gaelforce ESSS 27g switch line but I read an old post suggesting that the rod is rated for trout lines so I'm thinking the 27g ESSS might be a bit much.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
I have the 10'7" #6 and recently matched it with the Airflo Switch/Spey floating line 300 grains (19 grams) and it casts really nice with a polyleader up front. I would imagine that the next weight up i.e. 330 grains (21 grams) would be ideal for the the 10'7" #7. The Airflo is on offer currently here:

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll see if I can swap the ESSS and for another line and find something a bit lighter. Is the Airflo the best match you have had for your rod?

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
I have the same rod although I haven't used it that much i can't really say what is the best line but I have tried a guideline bullet 8wt at 17.5 g plus a polyleader which works great I would say 27g esss would kill it in my opinion.
Previous posts here would suggest 17-21g is right for it interested as to your outcome
I think Bex on here reckoned a wulff ambush 7wt was great on it ( just missed one classifieds )
Lovely rod by the way perfect for what you want it for
If I try any other lines I'll keep you posted

Night Hawk

Reaction score
Ok thanks I'll see if I can swap the ESSS and for another line and find something a bit lighter. Is the Airflo the best match you have had for your rod?
I do also have a Rio Scandi short that I use but find the head a tad long at 31ft for a 10'7" rod and at 21 grams it's a bit on the heavy side for the 6 weight. The Airflo has a shorter head and is an integrated line, hence the purchase. I have also tried the Rio single handed spey 7 weight and it's very good for overhead casting but, for me anyway, it's too light for a decent spey cast.
Hope that helps.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I have had the 11ft 7wt Loop Cross S1 switch rod for a couple of seasons now and the 27g Gaelforce is way too much. 19 to 21g is your sweet spot. My favourite lines are;
Guideline Bullet WF8 (great overhead)
Barrio 22g switch line (great spey casting)
Airflo switch line 300 grain ( good all round)
Rio Single Hand Spey WF7 (good all round)
Loop SDS switch kit 7wt (great multi tip for Spey casting)..

Depends what you want to use it for and if you prefer an integrated line.
Value for money the Airflo switch line at £29.99 takes a bit of beating.

Cheers Diarmid.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Plenty of food for thought there. I’ll have a scan around the classifieds and on eBay and if I don’t see anything probably go for the Airflo 300 grain.

Thanks for the feedback guys?

Bex

Reaction score
Try to swap for a Gaelforce ESSS 5/6 21g, that’ll do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rubberwellie

Reaction score
I was going to try and swap the 27g for a 30g for a 12ft Loop Cross.

Is the 21g worth the money compared to some of the other options?

Bex

Reaction score
I was going to try and swap the 27g for a 30g for a 12ft Loop Cross.

Is the 21g worth the money compared to some of the other options?

I think so, if you prefer an integrated with a manageable head of 33’.
If you don’t mind the loop to loop look at the Salmologic heads in 18g.
A cheaper option is a Barrio 5/6 switch....

rubberwellie

Reaction score
27g Gaelforce spey switch line works well on the 12ft Loop Cross and the 30g on the 13ft.
Cheers Diarmid.

I'll maybe give the 27g a try first then - I've read one or two rave reviews for the 30g on the 12ft Loop Cross, particularly on the "wow factor" thread. Decisions...

I did have a look at the Barrio lines but the 5/6 switch is out of stock. I don't mind forking out for another ESSS line if it is the best line for the rod. I'll maybe drop them an email and see if it would be possible to try out some lines as I have at least 3 new lines to buy.

Cheers!

billy fish

Reaction score
I use an ambush on my 11’ loop st switch . I used the 8# weight ambush on the Alness for a week and it worked very well ,Spey and overhead. I bought the 7# weight ambush that was for sale on here to try . I really like the Ambush lines but made the mistake of buying the “short “ model . It’s great using in limited space but so is the standard line. In more open water there is a lot more stripping back running line.

C

cgaines10

That's interesting to know, I never knew they did a cross s1 switch. I wouldn't mind one for my sea trout fishing.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score

I use a barrio 5/6 switch on my 11ft loop that I got from you and love it. Overhead and spey cast perfectly