Line recommendations

coglen

Reaction score
Hello, could anyone recommend a line for a hardy swift 11 13ft 8wt, preferably with a shortish head. Thanks.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I haven't fished with that rod, but for most 13' #8 the Rio Scandi 34 gm is as good as it gets. Beyond that there are lots of options and everyone has their favourites. If you want a much shorter head then the Rio SSVT is a mite shorter, but as a multi-tip kit is much more expensive than the basic head plus a couple of Airflo polyleaders.

mc andy

Reaction score
The ssvt is a brilliant line, and as I haven't cast the 13 ft per say but have cast all the lenths above on the swift you could comfortably cast the 9# imo ssvt also.

Personally I wouldn't rule out the svt (. Which uses the same body but 15ft tips as appose 10ft.) making it 5 ft longer basically. But depending on your fishing river of choice?

Cheers andy

Last edited:

dustybinns

Reaction score
I fished with the versi tip for a number of years and still do on occasions ,and what i found was when fishing 13’ rods with the 10’ tips was a struggle .You can stick a poly on the end but the 15’ tips allow you more line speed,you can also drop one or two tip weights down from the body weight for a better presentation.As MCX suggests the Rio scandi is a nice head,also the Scandi outbound and Gaelforce switch in 9/10,this is lovely line btw.Cheers John.

Bruino

Reaction score
Have a look at the galeforce short spey /switch line integrated 33ft head I use the 30g head on a 8 weight zenith great combination.

NEbody

Reaction score
I was using that rod yesterday with a #9 Rio Scandi Versitip. At 585gr, I think that’s probably at the heavy end of ideal. I also use a 510gr Airflo Rage with 10ft polyleaders on it, which is probably towards the light end. I’m tempted to blow £20 on a 540gr Norris NI1 head, which is midway between those two.

Jeff

Reaction score
Rio published line recommendations for most rod manufacturers. The 2015 version gives the Hardy Swift 13 ft #8 recommendation for a shortish Scandi head as “A”460 grains (30 grams) or “B” 520 grains (34 grams).

The guide explains that the "A" rating is for more experienced casters, or for casters that like to cast off the tip of the rod. The "B" rating is for less experienced casters, and for casters that like to feel a deeper load in the rod. It is also a good choice for coping with tough winds, or using larger flies.

Depending on the conditions, I can be a more or less experienced caster... If I had to choose one, I’d go for the heavier option, it’s more flexible In variable conditions. I have Rio and Gaelforce lines. On balance, I prefer the Gaelforce integrated lines but it’s a matter of personal choice, they’re both good. The key thing is choosing the right weight.

Greegs

Reaction score
I was using that rod yesterday with a #9 Rio Scandi Versitip. At 585gr, I think that’s probably at the heavy end of ideal. I also use a 510gr Airflo Rage with 10ft polyleaders on it, which is probably towards the light end. I’m tempted to blow £20 on a 540gr Norris NI1 head, which is midway between those two.
The NI1 lines are fantastic for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk