Line recommendation

Holty

Reaction score
Hi all
I have bought myself a double handed rod to try to learn myself to Spey cast, I've got a Loop Xact 13" #7 rod and I'm looking for recommendations for a reel and line
Hope you can help
Thanks
Nick

rotenone

Reaction score
You can't teach yourself to spey cast you need to bite the bullet find a well respected instructor in your area and ask for advice on your set up before booking a lesson.

A 55 foot head spey line is ample on a 13 foot rod, and the best about are gaelforce you can try the 55 7/8 gaelforce spey line

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
You can't teach yourself to spey cast you need to bite the bullet find a well respected instructor in your area and ask for advice on your set up before booking a lesson.

A 55 foot head spey line is ample on a 13 foot rod, and the best about are gaelforce you can try the 55 7/8 gaelforce spey line
Exactly what he said 👍, an instructor will be worth his/her wait in gold, even a couple of lessons will be ok, as for the rod, what river will you be fishing? Is the rod to big? To small? Etc..... alot comes into play when choosing a setup to get the best out of it with THE LINE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

As for the gealforce lines mentioned I must agree, stunning lines

A reel is just a fancy line holder, anything with a half decent drag will suffice, look at a redington behemoth reel, solid reel great drag and will not break the bank

q4fario

Reaction score
If you want a great value, quality line Glasgow angling are selling the Hardy Rocket Shooting Head lines at £27 down from £64.99. The 7/8# should sit nicely on the rod.

Tangled

Reaction score
You're going to get conflicting advice here but if you're a beginner I'd go for a shooting head line to start off with rather than a traditional Spey line. The Rage Compact Kit is a good compromise between a Skagit and a Scandi, is very easy to cast and gives you a range of fishing strategies - all of them in fact.

But before buying anything else, do get yourself a lesson. A qualified instructor will give you the best advice on kit after seeing what you can do and hearing about where you're going to be fishing.

Holty

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies it seems its all a bit more complicated than i thought, can anyone suggest an instructor in the midlands or north west

Tangled

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies it seems its all a bit more complicated than i thought, can anyone suggest an instructor in the midlands or north west
Yeh, it's a bloody nightmare at first...

Instructors
You want one that calls himself "Advanced" and for double-handed rods
GAIA

AAPGAI

Last edited:

midgydug

Reaction score
You can definately teach yourself how to spey cast, especially now with all the internet help, youtube etc.
I bet most anglers on this forum are self taught. I have fished with many people over the years and I don't know anyone that has had a casting lesson, and there are some beautiful casters among them.
However, if you can afford it, and are nieve about the whole setup, then a lesson will fastrack you to enjoy your salmon fishing and not develop bad habits.

rotenone

Reaction score
You can definately teach yourself how to spey cast, especially now with all the internet help, youtube etc.
I bet most anglers on this forum are self taught. I have fished with many people over the years and I don't know anyone that has had a casting lesson, and there are some beautiful casters among them.
However, if you can afford it, and are nieve about the whole setup, then a lesson will fastrack you to enjoy your salmon fishing and not develop bad habits.

Jim Fearn is a good instructor, but if I was you I would make the suitable pilgrimage to an instructor who undertands long belly spey casting techniques, the place to look is in Scotland and Andrew Toft would be a good place to start.

Learning to cast with a shooting head or line under 55 foot is probably the worst thing you can do at the start of your journey, learn properly with a longer line and you will find the transition to shorter lines very easy, you will. Also develop true casting technique meaning you will have better command over all line systems. The only thing learning with shooting heads is a short cut to bad technique that can be be hard to train out.

Shooting heads are not the magic bullet, and IMHO they are pushed by so many instructors because they make casting easy and make them look good. But the long term damage to spey casting is very real if you short cut to them

tynelobster

Reaction score
Jim Fearn is a good instructor, but if I was you I would make the suitable pilgrimage to an instructor who undertands long belly spey casting techniques, the place to look is in Scotland and Andrew Toft would be a good place to start.

Learning to cast with a shooting head or line under 55 foot is probably the worst thing you can do at the start of your journey, learn properly with a longer line and you will find the transition to shorter lines very easy, you will. Also develop true casting technique meaning you will have better command over all line systems. The only thing learning with shooting heads is a short cut to bad technique that can be be hard to train out.

Shooting heads are not the magic bullet, and IMHO they are pushed by so many instructors because they make casting easy and make them look good. But the long term damage to spey casting is very real if you short cut to them
Jim is as you say very good and certainly also understands longer belly lines too.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Andy toft explains things so easily , I've had a cpl of short sessions with him which definitely made a big difference to my casting

chriswjx

Reaction score
Second the recommendations to get a teacher and start on spey lines. I know I picked up a fair understanding of spey casting from the Rio videos on YouTube, but it doesn't match having a person actually critique you and tell you how to improve.

Andy Toft is a fab teacher, but if your just starting out I agree with Tangled and just go on AAPGAI's website and try and find your closest "advanced" teacher. If you can get a pass on the AAPGAI course, you should be fine for casting 55ft spey lines as that is the test requirement (all casts performed on a minimum 55ft head). Andy is one of the assessing committee for AAPGAI as well if I remember correctly, so I do feel like we should trust the qualification too 😅

rotenone

Reaction score
Andy toft explains things so easily , I've had a cpl of short sessions with him which definitely made a big difference to my casting
A brilliant instructor, but with pedigree of a casting champion

Richardgw

Reaction score
I have to disagree with Rotenone on two points. You CAN self teach yourself to spey cast and a 55ft head on a 13ft rod is way too long for a beginner. But I do agree that if you want to start off on a strong footing and shorten the learning cycle then time with a good instructor would be advantageous.

As for me, when the Wye brought in fly only for salmon from opening day on 26th January to 30th April in the early 90s I had no choice but to teach myself how to spey cast (or not fish until 1st May) and as a guide I used Charles Bingham’s excellent book entitled Salmon and Sea trout Fishing. Initially I tried with the full sunk long head lines of the day which for a beginner were extremely difficult and my efforts were not pretty. I subsequently cut these down to heads which I found much easier and enabled me to fish and I would encourage any beginner to start with head of about 2.4 to 2.8x the length of their rod – say 30ft minimum to 38ft max for a 13ft’er. This should enable you to get a line out.

Having served a long apprenticeship, I today am comfortable off both shoulders and have migrated to longer heads including when fully sunk fast sink lines are required as these enable longer casting and less stripping. But my experience tells me it is best to start with shorter heads. So for your rod I would look at say a Rio Short Scandi or Short Scandi Versitip or the equivalent by Guideline, the Compact 3D+ or 4D Compact Versitip or a Gaelforce ESSS. As to which weight, I can’t help you on this as I don’t have any knowledge of grain rating of your rod.

Last edited:

Sawyer

Reaction score
As for instructors Illtyd Griffiths (Sewincaster) is first rate, he had my lads doing things with a fly line that I had never seen before, all within a day (was easier for us to book him for the full day & make it just the one trip), absolutely top rate & really nice guy to boot.
Another (middle Son went to him for a brush up before heading up to the Tweed) is Bernie Maher @ Press Manor fisheries in Sheffield.
Totally agree with the above, go & spend time with an instructor, you will start off on the right path & without any bad habits that will need ironing out at a later date.