Line help for small spate river

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 10ft daiwa whisker 6-8# and i'm fishing a small spate river - about 20ft wide - max. I already have a floating line but after doing a bit of reading (eye opening possibly a bad thing) should I be using a line with a short head? if so, does anyone have any recommendations? i'm quite new to fly fishing - and i didnt even realise it could be important! (sorry) Also - I don't mind spending good money on a line as long as i know its going to be quality. Cheers

cgaines10

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 10ft daiwa whisker 6-8# and i'm fishing a small spate river - about 20ft wide - max. I already have a floating line but after doing a bit of reading (eye opening possibly a bad thing) should I be using a line with a short head? if so, does anyone have any recommendations? i'm quite new to fly fishing - and i didnt even realise it could be important! (sorry) Also - I don't mind spending good money on a line as long as i know its going to be quality. Cheers
That will be because a standard fly has around 35ft called the head. You usually need the full amount of the head out of the tip of the rod to sufficiently load the rod. Less than that and you can have issues with forming loops correctly and presentation.

What line are you using at the moment? Does it match the rod rating?

Are you having issues or have you just got doubt from what you have read?

What is your end goal?

Richardgw

Reaction score
How about one of these. Total head length 24ft inclusive of a 10ft detachable front tip which can be replaced with a sinking tip down to sink 6/7. As the head is integrated into the running line it can be retrieved until there is just the 10ft tip outside the rod with no loop to loop joins to worry about.

mows

Reaction score
Hi all
It depends if there are a lot of trees and high banks.
If overhead casting and dibbling in sure you would be fine when wide open.
In tight spaces a shorter head may well help.
Again, it will depend on size of flys you are using.
If you want to use some of the meatier flies, your wee rod might struggle.
Im happy enough using my wee 9 foot 6-8 daiwa with a normal trout line, on a bigger river in the summer for salmon and seatrout in low water and small flies.
However, the 11'3 switch covers all occasions.

Sash

Reaction score
Hi all
Your rod sounds fine to me: I typically use a 10ft #6 for small rivers.

But I would use a line at the upper end of the range in order to load the rod at short range, and/or turnover fairly heavy flies.

I would NOT spend a lot of money on a "quality" line: the correlation between line cost and quality is at best poor, and often non-existant and, on small river long casting is not the key issue.
Instead, I would suggest two options to start with:

1) buy a bunch of John Norris' cheapest lines: at the very least #7, #8, and possibly even a #9, and play with them during the winter. They are good lines with medium-length heads, and you should be able to see which ones best suit your style and needs.
2) Buy a Maxcatch Gold (or two). Probably better lines than Norris', and slightly more expensive. I would tend towards a #8 for your small river.

For either of these, you could add a short (5ft) fast-sinking polyleader. But keep it simple (and cheap) at this stage: small rivers really do NOT need expensive lines while you are still quite new to fly fishing (and, IMHO, probably not later, either!).

Let us know how you get on!

Neil W

Reaction score
From my experience of smaller rivers fully integrated lines are much better than shooting heads. When retrieving the loop to loop connection in the rod rings is annoying for me anyway.
Airflo switch floating line is excellent and I would use a 300 or 330gr on an 8wt single handed rod if Spey casting.

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
That will be because a standard fly has around 35ft called the head. You usually need the full amount of the head out of the tip of the rod to sufficiently load the rod. Less than that and you can have issues with forming loops correctly and presentation.

What line are you using at the moment? Does it match the rod rating?

Are you having issues or have you just got doubt from what you have read?

What is your end goal?
Hi, my line is wf8 weight so it matches the rod but the head is 42ft long - and i'm not sure if this is causing me trouble or just my technique - i do usually fish in tarns and lakes so i dont have much trouble there but should i have a different line for the river?

cgaines10

Reaction score
Hi, my line is wf8 weight so it matches the rod but the head is 42ft long - and i'm not sure if this is causing me trouble or just my technique - i do usually fish in tarns and lakes so i dont have much trouble there but should i have a different line for the river?
Depending on the profile of the line you're using it may be fine. Do you know the brand & model so we can look at it's profile?

It sounds as though there's no real issue from what you are saying but you do have doubts? This happens often with newcomers to the sport, but you're in the right place for help.

You don't need a different line for rivers, you can use the same for all no problem. The market is vast and there is plenty of choice to suit many different styles, budgets, preferences etc.

Are you trying to cast further? turn over small or large flies? casting from the bank with rear obstructions?

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Depending on the profile of the line you're using it may be fine. Do you know the brand & model so we can look at it's profile?

It sounds as though there's no real issue from what you are saying but you do have doubts? This happens often with newcomers to the sport, but you're in the right place for help.

You don't need a different line for rivers, you can use the same for all no problem. The market is vast and there is plenty of choice to suit many different styles, budgets, preferences etc.

Are you trying to cast further? turn over small or large flies? casting from the bank with rear obstructions?
Hi, it's the snowbee XS floating wf8. Exactly, I have doubts but its just because i'm not sure if i'm doing it right, I simply don't know any better because it's the only line and rod I've ever used. I do sometimes have trouble with how the line lands (hard and sometimes in a bit of a heap) but i think that's just my fault, not the lines... Coming forward too hard on the forward stroke.
On the river it does sometimes feel like the line is almost too heavy and I struggle to do a nice rollcast. Usually there are lots of trees and foliage all around, although there are a couple of places where I can do an overhead cast. I have mostly size 6 -10 flies cascade style for using on the river.
My main concern is that I'm not even getting the whole head out my rod rings - but should i be worried?
Cheers!

Sash

Reaction score
Hi, it's the snowbee XS floating wf8. Exactly, I have doubts but its just because i'm not sure if i'm doing it right, I simply don't know any better because it's the only line and rod I've ever used. I do sometimes have trouble with how the line lands (hard and sometimes in a bit of a heap) but i think that's just my fault, not the lines... Coming forward too hard on the forward stroke.
On the river it does sometimes feel like the line is almost too heavy and I struggle to do a nice rollcast. Usually there are lots of trees and foliage all around, although there are a couple of places where I can do an overhead cast. I have mostly size 6 -10 flies cascade style for using on the river.
My main concern is that I'm not even getting the whole head out my rod rings - but should i be worried?
Cheers!
From the above, really helpful (and honest!) description, I REALLY don't think that you need a new line!
Rather, I think you need a bit more practise and, preferably, an hour or so or tuition.
- If your line is landing too hard, then it really does not seem to me that you need a shorter/heavier head.
- Ditto if you feel that you cannot get the whole of the head out.
- And a shorter head would, in my experience (and lack of style) probably hinder, rather than help, roll casting.
I think you are analysing your problems really well: an instructor would crack it for you.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Cheers!
Great reply, the more info you give us the better we can help understand the issue (y)

Top advice from Sash above too :)

I'm hesitant to suggest any lines that could potentially help, as I think your money would be better invested in some casting lessons, preferably on your stretch or river if possible.

Those flies are pretty small so your line shouldn't have any problem turning them over.

What leader/tippet setup are you using?

No, you don't need to be worried, it's good that you're thinking about it though. The main benefit of having more of the head out would be to help achieve distance, but if your stretch is only 20' wide you shouldn't be worrying about that. Your time and effort would be better focusing on presentation.

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Great reply, the more info you give us the better we can help understand the issue (y)

Top advice from Sash above too :)

I'm hesitant to suggest any lines that could potentially help, as I think your money would be better invested in some casting lessons, preferably on your stretch or river if possible.

Those flies are pretty small so your line shouldn't have any problem turning them over.

What leader/tippet setup are you using?

No, you don't need to be worried, it's good that you're thinking about it though. The main benefit of having more of the head out would be to help achieve distance, but if your stretch is only 20' wide you shouldn't be worrying about that. Your time and effort would be better focusing on presentation.
thanks a lot for the help. I have some airflo 5' poly leaders, sinking, fast sinking and 15lb maxima tippet 3/4' - as suggested by a couple of guys on here on a previous post. I'll definitely have a look for someone who can give me some tuition.

cgaines10

Reaction score
thanks a lot for the help. I have some airflo 5' poly leaders, sinking, fast sinking and 15lb maxima tippet 3/4' - as suggested by a couple of guys on here on a previous post. I'll definitely have a look for someone who can give me some tuition.
Your leader setup is fine (y) even an experienced angler from your club may be able to help you out.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
How about one of these. Total head length 24ft inclusive of a 10ft detachable front tip which can be replaced with a sinking tip down to sink 6/7. As the head is integrated into the running line it can be retrieved until there is just the 10ft tip outside the rod with no loop to loop joins to worry about.

I use this line for all my Spate river fishing on both small and medium sized rivers.This line will do everything you will need The 18gr version should be perfect for your rod. A joy to fish with and it will throw everythimg from tiny flies to heavy tube f;ies. I have had some memorable days using this line couldnt recommend it enough.

JoeE

Reaction score
I use this line for all my Spate river fishing on both small and medium sized rivers.This line will do everything you will need The 18gr version should be perfect for your rod. A joy to fish with and it will throw everythimg from tiny flies to heavy tube f;ies. I have had some memorable days using this line couldnt recommend it enough.
I'd second this, I use this line on a tiny spate river and works wonders. Another good option if you want is the Bullet 2

ian74

Reaction score
From my experience of smaller rivers fully integrated lines are much better than shooting heads. When retrieving the loop to loop connection in the rod rings is annoying for me anyway.
Airflo switch floating line is excellent and I would use a 300 or 330gr on an 8wt single handed rod if Spey casting.
Just bought one... £24.99 (y)
From Airflo on eBay to get free postage.
I'll give it a go at that price! :ROFLMAO: