lifestyle change

marty31

Reaction score
anybody fancy a total change in career? the new owners of the horncliffe beat (bottom tweed) are advertising for a head boatman/gillie, its up for grabs ;) be quick, it wont be on the shelf long:eek:

Chicharito

Reaction score
Mmm looks like me and Piker might be able to book a day on Horncliffe again !
Might see if Eric is up for a days guiding !

JoeE

Reaction score
As long as Andrew Veiteh doesn't get it then it'll be fine. If he should, Ill never set foot on the beat again

marty31

Reaction score
As long as Andrew Veiteh doesn't get it then it'll be fine. If he should, Ill never set foot on the beat again
h ha I have had that experience, it was more like a army exercise, than a enjoyable day fishing, he was yelling at the other bank to keep moving down the pool etc he was a bit like a army sargent major than a gillie what a experience :rolleyes:

Heero

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about something different.

Im going to apply for the position. I plan to just sit on the bank in a lawn chair shooting the breeze with fishing guests while drinking beers as a large slab of meat smokes on the smoker. So no real lifestyle change for me.

JoeE

Reaction score
h ha I have had that experience, it was more like a army exercise, than a enjoyable day fishing, he was yelling at the other bank to keep moving down the pool etc he was a bit like a army sargent major than a gillie what a experience :rolleyes:

Hes a right "insert what ever you like here".

He drove over 2 rods in Oct past, and was nothing short of a c*** about it, and to add insult to injury, he attempted to perform his "lunch time" duties as if nothing had happened.

:p

marty31

Reaction score
Hes a right "insert what ever you like here".

He drove over 2 rods in Oct past, and was nothing short of a c*** about it, and to add insult to injury, he attempted to perform his "lunch time" duties as if nothing had happened.

:p
that sounds like the same man, the only laugh we got was when the kettle whistled in the hut, he put his pie down on the outside seat, to go in and turn it off, and the head gillies cocker spaniel ate it with only one bite out of it, what beat is he on now? so I know not to book it :eek::D

JoeE

Reaction score
that sounds like the same man, the only laugh we got was when the kettle whistled in the hut, he put his pie down on the outside seat, to go in and turn it off, and the head gillies cocker spaniel ate it with only one bite out of it, what beat is he on now? so I know not to book it :eek::D

Had him on Horncliffe in Oct past there, hopefully will never come across him again, although I would like to see that pie incident happen again :D:D

ozzyian

Reaction score
It's not a great look to be slagging the guy off like this. I'd recommend some caution with personal attacks on an open forum.

JoeE

Reaction score
It's not a great look to be slagging the guy off like this. I'd recommend some caution with personal attacks on an open forum.

He has my details should he feel insulted by truthful reports about his gentlemanly behavior :cool:

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score

I thought you would have some sympathy with someone having rods run over Ian?

It's wasn't more than a month ago the ghillie off a beat a few miles up stream got a scathing off a forum member.

ozzyian

Reaction score
I thought you would have some sympathy with someone having rods run over Ian?

It's wasn't more than a month ago the ghillie off a beat a few miles up stream got a scathing off a forum member.

Yes, of course I have sympathy as Joe E knows:) it's happened to me and it's a horrible experience, something very similar in fact to what happened here. I just urge a bit of caution in a lynch mob though.

You're going to have to illuminate me on the connection to the upstream beat though, I don't recall that post

Salty_Minnow

Reaction score
Bob Harrison at West Learmouth. There didn't seem to be any reason behind the attack on Bob. At least Joe got his rods ran over.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Bob Harrison at West Learmouth. There didn't seem to be any reason behind the attack on Bob. At least Joe got his rods ran over.

Ahh yes I remember now. Didn't really understand that thread at the time, always enjoy my early season day or 2 on WL (before it gets expensive) Its strange, sometimes you think 'yep, no wonder that guys got a few enemies' and other times you're surprised and this was one of those.

marty31

Reaction score
yes I well remember that, it was condoned then! but not now, after all, anybody having 2 rods broken by any gillie is not going to be very happy, but I get the point! its all very well to slag bob Harrison on a open forum, but not Andrew viech, you seem a man of double standards ozzy ian one rule for the goose, and another for the gander

ozzyian

Reaction score
yes I well remember that, it was condoned then! but not now, after all, anybody having 2 rods broken by any gillie is not going to be very happy, but I get the point! its all very well to slag bob Harrison on a open forum, but not Andrew viech, you seem a man of double standards ozzy ian one rule for the goose, and another for the gander

There's a couple of mixed metaphors here but just to clarify for you, no double standards whatsoever, I personally wouldn't name and slag off any individual on an open forum based on a personal grudge or disagreement - for pretty obvious reasons.

I don't know the guy named here Marty - I've met him less times than you I expect. But if you have a personal agenda against him my advice would be the same - unless you know what happened it's not a good look in the slightest to be slagging someone off by name on an open forum. Do as you wish though, no skin off my nose, go ahead and do as you like.

Last edited:

JoeE

Reaction score
There's a couple of mixed metaphors here but just to clarify for you, no double standards whatsoever, I personally wouldn't name and slag off any individual on an open forum based on a personal grudge or disagreement - for pretty obvious reasons.

Can you enlighten me to those reasons? I could understand if what we were saying was made up/false, then it would constitute slander, defamation and could be held accountable?

However, what has happened in this instance is true, with witness, not to mention evidence of the incident.

(I should say that I am directed at AV and not the HC owners, as Dr Frazer, the owner at the time was a gent about the matter. )

ozzyian

Reaction score
Can you enlighten me to those reasons? I could understand if what we were saying was made up/false, then it would constitute slander, defamation and could be held accountable?

However, what has happened in this instance is true, with witness, not to mention evidence of the incident.

(I should say that I am directed at AV and not the HC owners, as Dr Frazer, the owner at the time was a gent about the matter. )

That was selective quoting at its finest:)

I'm certainly not here to defend what happened on the day but if you were going to just jump straight to the insults of the stand in ghillie on an open forum perhaps you'd be better explaining to everyone the full story of what actually happened??

If you use the terms

' true, with witness, not to mention evidence of the incident'

You might want to give jury the benefit of a little due process rather than just go straight to the hanging:)

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score

I don't know the guy named here Marty - I've met him less times than you I expect. But if you have a personal agenda against him my advice would be the same - unless you know what happened it's not a good look in the slightest to be slagging someone off by name on an open forum. Do as you wish though, no skin off my nose, go ahead and do as you like.
well ozzyian I think the accusation of a "grudge or disagreement" is a bit of a harsh description of a tongue and cheek comment about a gillie having his pie eaten by a dog! hardly what I would call a personal attack, the double standards that I was referring to were on a thread called "tweed inflated selling prices" post 96 when I urged caution about slagging off the WL gillie, and you condoned the poster then advising him to carry on, you have obviously a short memory and have forgotten. what happened was the good gent had two rods run over with very little sympathy, who would be chuffed at that? so yes I do know what happened, getting back to personal attacks ozzyian, are you sure that is not what you are doing to me? every thread/post that I make is met with you lying in wait then trying to "jump on my head" unless I am turning paranoid in my old age, heaven forbid, now I normally don't post on your posts/threads for these reasons, but as far as personal attacks, go ozzyian I wont runaway, bring it on :p

JoeE

Reaction score
That was selective quoting at its finest:)

I'm certainly not here to defend what happened on the day but if you were going to just jump straight to the insults of the stand in ghillie on an open forum perhaps you'd be better explaining to everyone the full story of what actually happened??

If you use the terms

' true, with witness, not to mention evidence of the incident'

You might want to give jury the benefit of a little due process rather than just go straight to the hanging:)

But I'd like him to hang!! :p:p

scotsmac1

Reaction score
ohh
Love a good fight.

Back to Ed Ball ( Horncliff ), personally I liked the guy, Iv heard the stories but with me and my broth he was great. I will miss him if he's gone.

ozzyian

Reaction score
well ozzyian I think the accusation of a "grudge or disagreement" is a bit of a harsh description of a tongue and cheek comment about a gillie having his pie eaten by a dog! hardly what I would call a personal attack, the double standards that I was referring to were on a thread called "tweed inflated selling prices" post 96 when I urged caution about slagging off the WL gillie, and you condoned the poster then advising him to carry on, you have obviously a short memory and have forgotten. what happened was the good gent had two rods run over with very little sympathy, who would be chuffed at that? so yes I do know what happened, getting back to personal attacks ozzyian, are you sure that is not what you are doing to me? every thread/post that I make is met with you lying in wait then trying to "jump on my head" unless I am turning paranoid in my old age, heaven forbid, now I normally don't post on your posts/threads for these reasons, but as far as personal attacks, go ozzyian I wont runaway, bring it on :p

Greenspey is in my opinion a very moderate and careful poster, I've never seen him get unpleasant with anyone and what he writes is polite and worth a read. On the subject of West Learmouth he never once mentioned the Ghillie by name never once . He came under some mild criticism because of his opinion and precisely because of his history of quality posting I wrote this in the post 96 you referenced.....

I've never seen a post from you that is nasty, arrogant or an excuse to big note yourself or any of the other less than pleasant characteristics of some posters, carry on I say

You shouldn't take that as agreeing with his point – I don't.

So, when you reference a post made by me and then try and make it sound like something else to suit your own purposes I think I'll just correct you if that's ok? Don't take it personally, there's no lying in wait and no head jumping. Not from me.

Interestingly you offer some very good advice from post 92 here of the very same thread (just up from my post) when you correctly stated this:

'that might be so greenspey, you have obviously had a bad experience on this water, but on the whole he is a highly respected gillie, who has always played his part in the success of the river, there is always two sides to every story like this, and I don't think a open forum like this is the place to discuss only one of them, so I am out of this one'

You can probably see then that I'm not real keen on your accusation of double standards:)

I don't think I'll be bothering with your invitation to 'bring it on' whatever you mean by that but it doesn't sound like it will be very pleasant and in keeping with the enjoyment of salmon fishing, I'm happy to let it go.

Last edited:

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own coun
popcorn.jpg

Anyone else miss the days when the main topical thing to be said for ghillies is that they're keen on "Bonkers Petitions" that will end up putting some of them out of business...:confused:

:D:):D:):D:):D:)