Let down by polytip loop

Speytime

Reaction score
Fishing the Tweed in the closing month I hooked a overhanging branch, i tried to shake it free with no joy so I turned away to snap it and to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the welded loop to fail before the nylon when snagged, it was either a greys or a airflo 10ft salmon.

Cheers Al

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
Fishing the Tweed in the closing month I hooked a overhanging branch, i tried to shake it free with no joy so I turned away to snap it and to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the loop to give before the nylon when snagged, it was either a greys or a airflo 10ft salmon.

Cheers Al
I think you have to keep an eye on the condition of the welded loops. I've had a couple of well used ones that start looking a bit iffy. Time to throw away when they get like that.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
If you mean the front end then try riverge tippet rings i added them to all my polyleaders last year and ive much more confidence in them now over the loop to loop

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the loop on my 4 year old Spey line.

This is why it is not cut and badly kinked.

I make these.

Sink tips are even more soft that regular floating lines. I began making them 9 years ago when my tippet cut the loop on my sink tip while I had a rather nice king salmon being reeled in.

I make them in black for sink tip use and orange for my floating lines.

minitube

Reaction score
to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the loop to give before the nylon when snagged,

Cheers Al
One of the main issues causing failure of poly leader loops is when fluorocarbon leaders are used on nylon poly leader loops. The flurcarbon is too hard for the nylon and under pressure cuts through it. That will not be the reason in this instance if nylon was used, however perhaps it was weakened earlier by previous fluorocarbon use.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Tangled

Reaction score
When you say that the loop failed do you mean that the mono leader cut through the loop? Or that the weld itself failed?

If you mean the weld failed I always drop a nail knot over the joint as a belt and braces exercise.

Rennie

Reaction score
I extensively use Airflo Poly Leaders in most sizes suitable(5ft, 8ft, 10ft and 15ft) for Salmon.I've never had an Airflo item fail on me at all.I've had Rio polys. fail on me and Michael Evans polys fail on me both on the welded loop!.
Now, when you say fast sinking poly Al, which fast sinker do you mean!-the Brown 3.9 ips one?.I know 2 of the makes of polys. come from differing factories, but thats the particular sinkers I've had fail on me in the past!.
Mindst you it was all a while ago so it could be a problem thats since been eradicated.
As with anything in life there will be little hiccups along the way with most things at one stage or another.Could be a rum 'un or a slight fault in a batch.Buy a re- placement poly. from a different shop, maybe in a different part of the country(mail order etc.).From my experiences I think you'd be very unlucky to experience the same again.
As said in an earlier reply, keep your eyes on the polys. in general, it's easy to forget about them and take them for granted, like any part of terminal tackle they're quite important, any issues and bin them.
Pedro.

Tangled

Reaction score
This guy make loops with three nail knots - tarpon fishing. That's how I do it if there's no loop. If there is a loop, I reinforceit with a single knot.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have been using airflo trout and salmon polyleaders for as long as I can remember and never had the welded loop fail. I do change them if used every year just in case. Maybe it was a one off failure and you were just unlucky or the loop got damaged while casting

Markymac

Reaction score
I have used airflo polytips for years normally the 5 feet salmon versions and have never had any problems with them so far. I check them often just to make sure they are still in working order but as you say it shouldn't be snapping when brand new.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve had the the leader snap the loop on airflo tips a good few times. Mainly in the spring when using 21lb sea guar. The leader is stronger than the tip and the tip will fail before the leader snaps.

Speytime

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help it looks like I've just been unlucky.
I've got a bundle of different lengths and densities that I'd like to test for future confidence.
How would you test them to weed out any sub standard One's

Thanks Al

Rrrr

Reaction score
I would say just plain bad luck to be honest. Im an expert at putting my fly in the trees when fishing and have always had my 15lb maxima snap at the knot to the fly before anything else has failed.
(See pic of my early season arch nemesis tree)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Speytime

Reaction score
I would say just plain bad luck to be honest. Im an expert at putting my fly in the trees when fishing and have always had my 15lb maxima snap at the knot to the fly before anything else has failed.
(See pic of my early season arch nemesis tree)

Crikey you've pulled the tree down :wow: :)

Al

salmo76

Reaction score
I`ve had the brown airflo trout polytips break at much lower than the stated BS . They were years old and they would break anywhere along their length when tested. I came to the conclusion that the underlying nylon was rotten and had deteriorated over the years even though I hadn`t used them very much at all. Left me wondering if the salmon versions also deteriorate with age, which wouldn`t be as noticeable due to the higher initial BS.

Speytime

Reaction score
I'll find out if age has any affect on them i've got a bundle to test some only a few months old some nearer 10 years old and all in good condition.
I think if nylon is stored properly it lasts for years.

Al

Rrrr

Reaction score
Crikey you've pulled the tree down :wow: :)

Al
Bet the tree surgeons got a fair few of my flys and lures from that one when they cleared it from the pool

Jimmcl

Reaction score
Sorry folks it was the welded loop that failed, fwiw the fast sinking polytip was new out of the pack that morning ?

Thanks Al
i had exactly the same thing happen to me on the Spey, but with a decent fish. The fish took, I lifted into it and the welded loop came apart at the leader joint.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
It's possible that I jumped the gun with my recommendation but having read through the thread I see that this was a brown colored sink tip.

I don't use the various colored 'Poly Tips' but I do use the zinc impregnated sinking lines to make mini heads. Although these are not the exact same materials I can tell you that the sink tip materials have breaking strengths most of my supplies will break under 25 pound of pull. I have had a number of these break while I was testing the loops I affix to the ends.

After my escaped salmon episode I've put black braided mono loops in 35 pound rating on any and all sink tips & mini heads I've made and used. As for connecting direct to the welded loops with mono I believe that eventually there will be a problem. Keeping an eye on the loops for cutting damage is the only thing you can do.

I do use those AirFlow clear poly leaders in 10 foot lengths and haven't had a problem with those but when I need to go deeper I use the sink tip with braided loop connection not welded loops.