Legalise Weed?

kgm

Reaction score
100% correct.

No more harmful than anything else and a massive tax coo

Prostitution should be next on the list.

Dogging waggon's all over Scotland and nobody bats an eyelid, get it legalised and taxed

Last edited:

Tyke

Reaction score
100% correct.

Dogging waggon's all over Scotland and nobody bats an eyelid, get it legalised and taxed

I don't think bringing back the dog licence would be a vote winner........

Tyke.

FloatinglineNelly

Reaction score
100% correct.

Do you really think that Dogging actually happens? I watched the TV programme about it and thought it was all stage managed.
Don't know anyone who has any info on it....and believe me I have asked!

happy days

Reaction score
Yes it's time the government became the drug dealer, as they are with the two most harmful drugs, alchohol and tobacco.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Do you really think that Dogging actually happens? I watched the TV programme about it and thought it was all stage managed.
Don't know anyone who has any info on it....and believe me I have asked!

It does happen. My friend drove me to a local dogging spot. After a prince gig, actually. A row of 4 or 5 cars parked in a lay by with their interior lights on and men sitting in, reading the paper. About 2am. When we drove past, (looking like a couple, my friend is male) two of them put their papers down and flashed their headlights with hopeful expressions on their faces.

We were gutted. Why didn't all 5 want to watch us?

Then we sensibly went home. A far more sane place to be at that time.

Weed. Should be legalised. The potential harm skunk and the like can cause should form part of a public health campaign as per cigarettes and alcohol. Agree prostitution should also be legalised.

Canada is ace.

Tippet321

Reaction score
Before you legalise weed you had better speak to the widow of the police officer deliberately run down and killed by a piece of vermin whose life had been taken over by canabis since 10 years old.

I am not sure she or her children would not agree.

I am told by Dutch friends that their experiment has turned out none too good either.

Think on.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Before you legalise weed you had better speak to the widow of the police officer deliberately run down and killed by a piece of vermin whose life had been taken over by canabis since 10 years old.

I am not sure she or her children would not agree.

I am told by Dutch friends that their experiment has turned out none too good either.

Think on.

I am told - and I don't know as I've never taken a single drug in my life - that psychosis and the like is caused by... Something else. A specific strain, a cheaper variant. I don't know. Can't remember. And that legalising it would help people make informed choices.

Think of all the lives lost at the hands of drunk drivers. Way more. Passive smoking even. Still way more. I don't think that argument stacks up, else those things should be made ILlegal.

Loxie

Reaction score
Legalise everything; crack and heroin included. If people are stupid enough to want to take these things that's really their business. Weed and pills from over meet outlets taxed and QA'd, hard stuff on prescription from a doctor for free.

Prohibition of alcohol in the US is often used as an example of why banning stuff doesn't work, but actually the drugs trade is just as good an example. Take the profit out of illegal drug dealing and you take the crime out of it. Common sense really.

As for Tippets policeman, very sad but how many people get killed by drunks? If pot was legally available and properly controlled illegal dealers would not exist and 10 year old would not be exposed to the same degree as they are in an unregulated illegal market.

As to the hard stuff when the government in the 1971 introduced the misuse of drugs act they took the control and distribution of hard drugs out of the hands of healthcare professionals and put them in to the hands of criminal gangs. No one can claim that that policy has been a roaring success. In the same way as CCRers say things would be worse without it I'm sure the same argument will be made for criminalising hard drugs and they would both be fatuous and plain wrong.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Having extensive personal family experience in this matter it is my firm conclusion that 99% of serious class A drug addictions start with cannabis. By legalising it you open the door and give the green light to other substance abuse and all the financial implications this exposes us to, not just the cost to the state but the families and individuals too.

edmaudling

Reaction score
Crime or not

The legalisation not just decriminalisation of cannabis is almost certainly coming, not today. not tomorrow but just around the corner. Fully regulated and controlled with major corporations producing fully taxed 10 joint packs, not some fairly haphazard "happy weed cafe" system that seems to have sprung up in some countries.

Purely on a available resource basis our stretched law enforcement agencies would then have massive extra man hours freed up whilst raking in ££££'s in revenue from legal sales and reducing available cash for organised crime.

We will never stop criminals exploiting the young and vulnerable in one way or another. Legalisation will remove their ability and financial opportunity to do this through cannabis

S

Sink23

Having extensive personal family experience in this matter it is my firm conclusion that 99% of serious class A drug addictions start with cannabis. By legalising it you open the door and give the green light to other substance abuse and all the financial implications this exposes us to, not just the cost to the state but the families and individuals too.

Agree with this and legalising it will only encourage more youngsters to choose that path

edmaudling

Reaction score
Sad but true ....however

"Having extensive personal family experience in this matter it is my firm conclusion that 99% of serious class A drug addictions start with cannabis."

I think that this is absolutely true however it could be said that all alcoholics start with beer . Every gambling addict started with a small flutter on a nag. No one starts their addictions with the heaviest.

I am afraid that an addictive personality predisposes people to advance their addictions whether it be drugs. alcohol, carbohydrates or sex.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
When Colarado legalised weed, the number of people smoking weed dropped, not rose, crime levels dropped and there has been no increase at all in the users of heroin etc

I'm not pro-drugs. I don't do drugs. No desire to. And I've seen the damage they can do up close. But based on the facts - it seems logical and safer to legalise weed.

Loxie

Reaction score
Agree with this and legalising it will only encourage more youngsters to choose that path

While that seems logical I'm afraid it is entirely wrong. Firstly the premise that all her ion addicts started on canabbis therefore cannabis leads to herion is false logic. All rapists start with consensual sex so does consensual sex lead inevitably to rape? The sad truth is the very fact that pot is illegal is a large part of its attraction. Thinking that making something legal or illegal will alter habits in that way is, I'm afraid, naive.

It is part of being human to get high. I do not know any adult who does not take mind altering substances very regularly. I'd bet over 95% of people on this site do. Banning this or that will not stop anything, you may as well ban sex.

Tippet321

Reaction score
When Colarado legalised weed, the number of people smoking weed dropped, not rose, crime levels dropped and there has been no increase at all in the users of heroin etc

I'm not pro-drugs. I don't do drugs. No desire to. And I've seen the damage they can do up close. But based on the facts - it seems logical and safer to legalise weed.

I can understand your logic, however a part of me is saying that the police and politicians have lost control of this, through poor policy and the inability to get tough (without infringing everyone's human rights to be a crack head).

If this were legalised who would benefit ?

The police and the politicians - they could knock a big chunk off the crime figures and tell us what jolly good chaps and chapesses we are and that other pathetic saying they have "its the right thing to do"

Who would not benefit - the poor sods who are addicted to this and they and their families will be scared for ever and forgotten about.

In Scotland we had a methadone program which does nothing for addicts - keeps them addicted to one drug instead of another - these people need help not a different drug!

Luckynotgood

Reaction score
Legalise everything; crack and heroin included. If people are stupid enough to want to take these things that's really their business. Weed and pills from over meet outlets taxed and QA'd, hard stuff on prescription from a doctor for free.

Prohibition of alcohol in the US is often used as an example of why banning stuff doesn't work, but actually the drugs trade is just as good an example. Take the profit out of illegal drug dealing and you take the crime out of it. Common sense really.

As for Tippets policeman, very sad but how many people get killed by drunks? If pot was legally available and properly controlled illegal dealers would not exist and 10 year old would not be exposed to the same degree as they are in an unregulated illegal market.

As to the hard stuff when the government in the 1971 introduced the misuse of drugs act they took the control and distribution of hard drugs out of the hands of healthcare professionals and put them in to the hands of criminal gangs. No one can claim that that policy has been a roaring success. In the same way as CCRers say things would be worse without it I'm sure the same argument will be made for criminalising hard drugs and they would both be fatuous and plain wrong.

My view entirely. The crime and expense which is the main factor in screwing up an addicts life would be taken out of the equation. At the end of the day it's not the act of taking the drug that's the problem. Make everything legal, make everything cleaner and safer.

kingfisher

Stay Safe
Reaction score
I get high on: Sex, drink, fishing, buying fishing gear, looking through the latest John Norris Fishing Brochure. Now do I need drugs - er nope ;);)

Loxie

Reaction score
I get high on: Sex, drink, fishing, buying fishing gear, looking through the latest John Norris Fishing Brochure. Now do I need drugs - er nope ;);)

What do think those things above are? Alcohol is not only a drug but by almost any measure you like a far more dangerous one than heroin. If you smoke tobacco for the rest of your life you are three times more likely to die prematurely than if you stick one round in a six cylinder revolver, spin the cylinders, put the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger. We are conditioned to think of drugs and addiction in a very odd way.

ibm59

Reaction score
What do think those things above are? Alcohol is not only a drug but by almost any measure you like a far more dangerous one than heroin. If you smoke tobacco for the rest of your life you are three times more likely to die prematurely than if you stick one round in a six cylinder revolver, spin the cylinders, put the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger. We are conditioned to think of drugs and addiction in a very odd way.

Spending money can be an addiction for some.
No danger of that with Kenny right enough.:D

Dryfly

Reaction score
I'd favour legalising the lot. Regulate the quality, price, purity and supply chain. Oh, tax it to of course. The war on drugs was lost 20 years ago. Since its been a dog chasing a tail spending vast sums of money on little achievement while the trade grows exponentially. A violent, unregulated trade that exploits people throughout the supply chain. From growing crops (at the expense of food where people are starving but forced at gun point in indentured labour to grow drug crops) through to ODs, and gear cut with anything you fancy killing people, sometimes very painfully and slowly. There's of course the crime to feed habits too. Dirty needles still kill. Needle exchanges work in part, but the drugs squads hang out around the exchanges, trying to get their conviction numbers up, deterring users to go along. So, people are still getting Hepatitis, HIV etc.

A lot of studies have looked at drug careers, moving from a soft to a hard one. They all show that its not the taking of a soft drug itself that leads to hard drugs in themselves. Its accessing the pushers to get the soft drugs that leads to hard drug use. The pushers start you off on a bit of bob hope and push. That's why they're called pushers. They push you up the 'menu' to the more profitable, expensive drugs. The more expensive, the more addictive. The ultimate captured market. Take the street dealers out and there is capacity to brake that linkage and motivation. The price could be controlled, kept down. Cigarette smokers don't steel and rob to by a packet of fags, they are cheap. If they were illegal how much would a pack of Marlboro Reds cost?

The legal system would be freed up, the prison population reduced.

Nearly half of all 15-16 year olds in the UK have used an illegal drug. Up to one and a half million people use ecstasy every weekend. Among young people, illegal drug use is seen as normal. Intensifying the 'war on drugs' is not reducing demand. In Holland, where cannabis laws are far less harsh, drug usage is among the lowest in Europe. In 1970 there were 9000 convictions or cautions for drug offences and 15% of young people had used an illegal drug. In 1995 the figures were 94 000 and 45%. Prohibition doesn't work.

Legalisation would help us to disseminate open, honest and truthful information to users and non-users to help them to make decisions about whether and how to use.

We could begin research again on presently illicit drugs to discover all their uses and effects - both positive and negative.

The illegal drugs market makes up 8% of all world trade (around £300 billion a year). Whole countries are run under the corrupting influence of drug cartels. Prohibition also enables developed countries to wield vast political power over producer nations under the auspices of drug control programmes. Legalisation would help develop social and political equity across nations.

Legalisation constructs drug use as a social issue, not a criminal justice one. If drugs are legalized then how we deal with it is up to all of us to decide through the social contract and democratic debate to protect, not criminalise the vulnerable..

Think I've got that off my chest then

S

Sink23

While that seems logical I'm afraid it is entirely wrong. Firstly the premise that all her ion addicts started on canabbis therefore cannabis leads to herion is false logic. All rapists start with consensual sex so does consensual sex lead inevitably to rape? The sad truth is the very fact that pot is illegal is a large part of its attraction. Thinking that making something legal or illegal will alter habits in that way is, I'm afraid, naive.

It is part of being human to get high. I do not know any adult who does not take mind altering substances very regularly. I'd bet over 95% of people on this site do. Banning this or that will not stop anything, you may as well ban sex.

I didn't say all smack addicts started by way of Pot, nor did I say that Pot leads to Heroin. But what I would say is that those who take Cannabis hang out with other people doing the same and inevitably this brings them into contact with others who have progressed to Class A's. I think to argue that legalising Pot will reduce it's appeal is naive, people don't smoke Dope because it's illegal, they do it to to get high. Maybe then if robbing banks was legal there would be no bank robberies. And using rape to emphasise your point I think is just wrong.

Last edited: