LeCie 1378/9 3 piece model

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
I recently purchased this rod and I am hoping to get some insight into lines it likes. I am looking to fish a Scandi head....any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the LPXe 8/9 in the 13 foot length and can tell you that it is just a beautiful thing with one of Steve Godshall's 41 foot Scandi lines weighing 541 grains I think it is. I could look it up but 541 rings a bell for me. The lines can be ordered with integrated running lines that shoot great.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the rods may be similar and if yours were mine I wouldn't hesitate to get the same line I have for it.

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Awesome...that’s exactly what I was looking for....it seems to be a true 8/9 then...someone told me they used 460ish grain Scandi head on it so I wanted to make sure.....I have an old AFS amd SA Scandi extreme at 520grains that I’m going to try out.

Thanks Ard!

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used that rod / line combo all year last season from catching kings through the silvers with plenty of trout mixed in for variety then finished up with steelhead and more trout. Then of course came the ice and now I wait.

You don't happen to know anyone down there who has a Galeforce rod for sale do you?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome...that’s exactly what I was looking for....it seems to be a true 8/9 then...someone told me they used 460ish grain Scandi head on it so I wanted to make sure.....I have an old AFS amd SA Scandi extreme at 520grains that I’m going to try out.

Thanks Ard!
That 460 will be too light, I have some Hardy Swift 7 weights that use 475 lines and although I've never put one on the Guideline I know it would be too light. I base that on the way the 541 loads the Guideline.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did u check the other forum? That’s where I found this one!
I'll have a look, I thought I had one corralled here a while back but the seller balked on posting internationally to me and I became sad..............

Would like to try one just because they are an exotic here, that and since the Guideline was such a shock I am more than a little curious about the GF.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think there is a very good chance that I'm not the worlds greatest caster but I swear that the Guideline LPXe rod makes me look good. I've pulled off some under the fallen tree shots that surprised me and I was the guy doing the casting! They don't just do distance, they do accuracy really well, can't wait for the ice out here.

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
I have read some great things about this rod and I am very excited to try it out....now only if there were a few more steelhead around :unsure:.

Thanks for your help Ard, hope ice out comes soon for you in Alaska!

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a look in the SP classifieds and nota single one listed. Last one was an Equalizer in 2018............

If you were to join the North American Fly Fishing Forum (you can find a redirect tab at the top of this page) I can link you to a photo review of the LPXe I did last year. get this, the entire outfit rod, reel and line weigh 15.4 ounces! Lightest 2 hand outfit I've ever owned. Many of my old Hardy and Winston rods weigh 14 to 15 ounces alone without the reel and line.

Furthermore we could use more input to our fledgling Spey forums there. We have a small group of guys and some tiers too. Since you joined here I'm sure you have found the Northern European Fly Patterns sub forum? And now you know where I get my fish catchers from ;)

No offense to the West Coast guys but the tiers here are on another level all together and 90% or more of the Scandinavian salmon patterns translate into rainbow and steelhead flies straight away with no variations.

salmonaddict

Reaction score
I had this rod about 10 years ago and it's definitely a true #8/9. I used Guideline dual density heads and DDC Connect off of this in #8/9 at the time. Rio AFS will work well with it. Any decent scandi head in 34 grams will work off it. I had 4 LeCie's at the time and this model was definitely the pick of the bunch, fantastic rod. I regretted selling mine for some time as I found it a very difficult rod to replace despite trying numerous rods in this length and line rating. A mate still has his...tried to rid him of it a few times but he's having none of it. Enjoy it mate as it's a gem 👍🎣

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up And, ill check out the NA FF forum. That is one light set up!

I joined this forum to improve my tying and pick up new tube techniques. There are not too many tube tiers on SP so its been great so far, I have learned lots.

I see you are an administrator here! Wow!

Tight lines my friend,
Serge

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
I had this rod about 10 years ago and it's definitely a true #8/9. I used Guideline dual density heads and DDC Connect off of this in #8/9 at the time. Rio AFS will work well with it. Any decent scandi head in 34 grams will work off it. I had 4 LeCie's at the time and this model was definitely the pick of the bunch, fantastic rod. I regretted selling mine for some time as I found it a very difficult rod to replace despite trying numerous rods in this length and line rating. A mate still has his...tried to rid him of it a few times but he's having none of it. Enjoy it mate as it's a gem 👍🎣
thanks for your insight, sounds like the AFS will be spot on at 520 grains. Thats what heard about this particular model as well, and I feel pretty lucky to have picked it up.

Its an interesting build with a custom bottom wood grip and custom thread wraps for the guides.....I should post some pics of it here ...

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up And, ill check out the NA FF forum. That is one light set up!

I joined this forum to improve my tying and pick up new tube techniques. There are not too many tube tiers on SP so its been great so far, I have learned lots.

I see you are an administrator here! Wow!

Tight lines my friend,
Serge
Oh yes I've been a pest to everyone both here and the American board for years. I'd love to have you on the NA forum, I've been trying to build up the 2 hand caster type salmon and steelhead population there for a long time. I don't try forumnapping people from the SP site because that would not be cool but some find their way on their own. LeoM is posting with us a little now and then.

westie4566

Reaction score
Like Ard I have the Lpxe 8/9 13ft. I use Airflo Rage heads in 510-540 grain weights and find them great. The Airflo Ultraspey kit in 8/9 is also great and a very verstile set up.

Ard, was interested to read that you fish 475grin off your Swifts. Heaviest I've gone is 450 right down to 420!

Rrrr

Reaction score
On my lpxe my favorate so far as an allrounder has to be the "guideline power taper rm float evolve". The airflo rage still gets a run out when its really windy and for smaller pools or light work the barrio iss is a great match.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tubular Spey

Reaction score
Sounds as though its had a refurb. Aye please add some pics 👍🎣
Second the motion of images

Lighting is not great but you get the idea....it’s a really nice build!
34FA35C8-2214-4908-99B7-7FD34F6ED1F1.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D0365B5-25B1-447F-BFF7-FCACF0A254B9.jpeg
    6D0365B5-25B1-447F-BFF7-FCACF0A254B9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • D0D987F1-F910-4CC1-B40E-68C6C38C614B.jpeg
    D0D987F1-F910-4CC1-B40E-68C6C38C614B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • C8B00A06-B768-4AA3-A367-82DEE6383356.jpeg
    C8B00A06-B768-4AA3-A367-82DEE6383356.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28