Leader not landing straight off my left shoulder?

Rrrr

Reaction score
That isn't really helpful, could you expand on your reply?
I think I'm doing very well with touch and go of my left, the leader not landing straight 100% is any major problem, is it?
My snake rolls are abit haywire at the best of times and my anchor tends to get a bit close to me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Speytime

Reaction score
With the water running left to right you may cast with either your left or right hand up. Ultimately which hand to use is dictated by wind direction. If you attempt to cast right hand up in an upstream wind you will more then likely end up with your fly stuck in your waders or worse still stuck in your face. It is very dangerous to do so and people who cannot cast with either hand up will usually suggest that they can get away with it as they employ some kind of Heath Robinson fix. They may in fact get away with it to a point. It is nonetheless dangerous and there really is no real alternative to being able to cast either hand up. Now, being the closed season is the ideal time to practice with your non dominant arm and be ready for the 2019 season. Practice is the essential part of improvement.

I was fishing the Tweed yesterday and got the benefit of your advice, the breeze was blowing upstream to start with then changed to coming down stream, that's when your advice became apparent ?
I had to stop touch and go with my left hand up and start using a water borne anchor with my right hand up.

I had some practice doing the snake roll last winter I,m far from good at it but it works, i need the rough edges smoothed out but that will only come with practice as will a straight leader, by the time I left the river yesterday 6/7 out of 10 were nice and straight.

I think yesterday I would have snagged the banking trying a snake roll as I'm on 4/5 feet from the bank?

Thanks Al

D

Deleted member 21259

I was fishing the Tweed yesterday and got the benefit of your advice, the breeze was blowing upstream to start with then changed to coming down stream, that's when your advice became apparent ?
I had to stop touch and go with my left hand up and start using a water borne anchor with my right hand up.

I had some practice doing the snake roll last winter I,m far from good at it but it works, i need the rough edges smoothed out but that will only come with practice as will a straight leader, by the time I left the river yesterday 6/7 out of 10 were nice and straight.

I think yesterday I would have snagged the banking trying a snake roll as I'm on 4/5 feet from the bank?

Thanks Al

It is very good that you are able to work out which cast is appropriate and when. It is in the interests of your own personal safety that you further refine this and practising over the winter months is an excellent means of doing this. 6/7 out of 10 snake rolls is not at all a bad average. I know a lot of very experienced anglers who cannot match your averages. Practice will increase your average and while competent casting is only one factor in catching fish having the wherewithal to be able to cast either hand in either wind direction should help you cover the fish that other anglers might shy away from.

Speytime

Reaction score
Sorry perrypokemon I meant 6/7 out 10 with my left hand up were landing straight, i didn’t atempt a snake roll as I thought id have caught the bank with it being 4/6 feet behind me?

Thanks Al

Rennie

Reaction score
Al,try casting right hand up off your left shoulder!,try a cast or two and see where your anchor lands 1st off, then starting again keep your arms very tight in about your body and bring the line almost directly upstream up and over your head and parallel with yourself keeping your leader and fly below you and parallel to the bank, keeping arms tight in again sweep low back downstream and up with the rod finishing with a bit of a flourish!,right hand level with your left shoulder.Apply the power stroke up n out with a smart tap!.
I say that as I'm useless with my left hand/side so have to do most things right handed.
Downstreamers on the left hand bank usually catch me out and as of late I've got out of jail in the preceding way.
Now if the wind isn't too excessive,I try a Circle C but place the anchor downstream and directly out from me,I apply the delivery power stoke quite high on this one.
Now,what you could also try is a day splashing about, just seeing exactly where you can place an anchor in relation to your position in the water and the wind at the time.Sling the rule book, wear good glasses and use a hookless flee's as long as you can anchor a loop to load against your rod you don't have to follow tradition,just try and see what works!
Of course if you don't practise at stuff you'll never get good at it.
Happy loop throwing,Pedro.

Speytime

Reaction score
With the season being near closed I'll still be out for practice on my local river, I can use right and left banks as well as a big area which I can be in the middle perfect for throwing away the rule book and just splashing around ? I'll give right hand of left shoulder a go and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement, all appreciated.

Thanks Al

D

Deleted member 21259

With the season being near closed I'll still be out for practice on my local river, I can use right and left banks as well as a big area which I can be in the middle perfect for throwing away the rule book and just splashing around ? I'll give right hand of left shoulder a go and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement, all appreciated.

Thanks Al

Al, if you can single Spey right hand up and double Spey left hand up from a left hand bank and single Spey left hand up and double Spey right hand up from a right hand bank then nothing really else matters all that much. You don't really need to worry about a snake roll It means you can safely produce a cast in an upstream or downstream wind from either bank and it is ultimately your personal safety that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jer

Reaction score
My snake rolls are abit haywire at the best of times and my anchor tends to get a bit close to me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Whilst the reason for your anchor landing too close to you could be many things you could start with the first possibility that your lift may be proportionally too high... the “higher” you lift (and I mean say coming to 11.55 on the clock compared to say 10 o’clock in terms of rod angle in that shot gun lift) the nearer your anchor will come to you once you reposition then sweep which is the next phase before spiralling to the key position

The next series of reasons relate to the reposition/sweep movements... in your case and for practice try thinking that you are using the rod tip to draw on a wall that is facing you perpendicularly... also be careful on the smooth application of power here and where you put it... all strokes should be graceful... a good tip is to watch with your eyes and feel with your hands the progressive load that your rod tip has... and remember the casting stroke starts with no slack line... and the load starts with that all important lift

The next phase ie the spiral to the key position which can present its own problems... work on and vary the first two above and see how you get on... all with a bit of wool on and preferably no wind or wind that ensures that your anchor is always being blown away from you

Hope this helps

Ger