Leader not landing straight off my left shoulder?

Speytime

Reaction score
I went out for a cast with my switch rod today when casting of my right shoulder everything is fine, but when I swapped to my left shoulder the last 2/3ft of the leader is landing to the left not straight.

I've noticed this on occasions with other rods when using my right shoulder but not consistently, occasionally a bit left occasionally a bit to the right
What's the cause of this?

Thanks Al

salmonaddict

Reaction score
The rod tip is not travelling straight on the forward stroke when left hand up, probably due to you not going round far enough with the rod tip on the sweep or it may be that youre going round far enough then pushing out to far on the delivery. Whatever the rod tip does the line will follow. I do it myself occasionally but see it and can quickly rectify it. Best to have someone stand on the bank behind you as they will see this and can help you rectify it.

lax0341

Reaction score
Or let somebody else make a video with the smartphone of your casting and have a look on it! That’s often very interesting stuff to view.

Speytime

Reaction score
The rod tip is not travelling straight on the forward stroke when left hand up, probably due to you not going round far enough with the rod tip on the sweep or it may be that youre going round far enough then pushing out to far on the delivery. Whatever the rod tip does the line will follow. I do it myself occasionally but see it and can quickly rectify it. Best to have someone stand on the bank behind you as they will see this and can help you rectify it.

Rod tip not travelling straight is a good possibility, im still at the point where my left hand up feels foreign to me and tbh it feels like its going out reasonably well through luck rather than skill if that makes sense?

Thanks for all the replies I'll persevere left hand up, im also going to get a few more lessons
Al

Rennie

Reaction score
Al,Speycasting in general is a series of stages all brought together to form the one cast.You need to start from your last stage and work backwards to find the fault.
Speaking personally here,I'm flaming useless with my left hand,I know any cast that I do left hand up go's awry.Thats in part due to muscle memory and my ability on my left hand side.
The answer to your problem may well be easily defined, but rectification will all be down to you utilising your left hand side a lot more and practise ,practise,practise!
Good luck,I know its my achilles heel!
Pedro.

Speytime

Reaction score
Do you really need your left?

Where the water is running left to right i feel I've got to use my left so that the lines angle is landing at 45.

But looking down the water I can see people are still using there right hand up, is it me or them that's missing something?

Al

D

Deleted member 21259

Where the water is running left to right i feel I've got to use my left so that the lines angle is landing at 45.

But looking down the water I can see people are still using there right hand up, is it me or them that's missing something?

Al

With the water running left to right you may cast with either your left or right hand up. Ultimately which hand to use is dictated by wind direction. If you attempt to cast right hand up in an upstream wind you will more then likely end up with your fly stuck in your waders or worse still stuck in your face. It is very dangerous to do so and people who cannot cast with either hand up will usually suggest that they can get away with it as they employ some kind of Heath Robinson fix. They may in fact get away with it to a point. It is nonetheless dangerous and there really is no real alternative to being able to cast either hand up. Now, being the closed season is the ideal time to practice with your non dominant arm and be ready for the 2019 season. Practice is the essential part of improvement.

salmonaddict

Reaction score

Al

Yes. You can use Snake Roll, Double Spey etc with no wind or downstream wind from the right bank, right hand up but upstream wind you'll need either Single Spey or Snap T?

As said...don't even think about using a downstream anchor cast in an upstream wind...could end up with a hook in the chin ?

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
I’m useless to with my left hand up.
in fact my left hand is only good for changing gear in the motor!

bassfly

Reaction score
My friend has been salmon fishing for years and with his right hand up can put a fly anywhere. He has never been able to cast left hand up and so uses a compromised cast when the wind or flow direction dictate and has no problem with this. Recently he has been trying to master casting Skagit lines using Snap T and sustained anchor and is finding it very difficult. We have decided that years of casting with traditional Spey lines and more recently Scandi lines that he has developed muscle memory and the only answer will be practice, practice, practice with first right hand up and then left hand up.
I have no problem with either hand up and also using Snap T type casts and put this down to the fact that I have only been salmon fishing using two hands for 8 years and had lessons from a very good instructor that very quickly got me into casting both left and right hand up.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Speytime

Reaction score
It was my instructor that insisted that I cast off my left, i expected it to land in a heap but was pleasantly surprised at the way the line went out, my instructor said its because I've no muscle memory off my left shoulder.

I'd like to not have any preference on river direction, will that come with practice or is my right always going to be preferable?

Thanks Al

suirspey

Reaction score
Or let somebody else make a video with the smartphone of your casting and have a look on it! That’s often very interesting stuff to view.
Has anyone used the "technique" app on a phone it's free and very handy, you can take video of your cast, change speed and mark lines etc on the video in motion, helped me a lot when I was casting poorly off my left, I wasn't rotating as much as on the right side and tried to compensate with only shoulder/arms

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 21259

It was my instructor that insisted that I cast off my left, i expected it to land in a heap but was pleasantly surprised at the way the line went out, my instructor said its because I've no muscle memory off my left shoulder.

I'd like to not have any preference on river direction, will that come with practice or is my right always going to be preferable?

Thanks Al

The vast majority of anglers using 2 handed rods will usually make better casts off their non dominant arm. The same vast majority however seem to feel uncomfortable using this arm. The casts are normally better because rather than attempting to force the rod, which is the tendency with the dominant arm, the angler usually uses the rod to make the cast and the whole thing works far better. I can never stress strongly enough regardless of which arm you are using the importance of turning your head and watching and waiting for the D or V loop to fully mature before making the forward, delivery stroke.

Speytime

Reaction score
Has anyone used the "technique" app on a phone it's free and very handy, you can take video of your cast, change speed and mark lines etc on the video in motion, helped me a lot when I was casting poorly off my left, I wasn't rotating as much as on the right side and tried to compensate with only shoulder/arms

Never heard of that but it sounds like I want it, where would I find this app I'm guessing it not available from Google play?
Eta is that "hudle technique" which is available from Google play store, do you know if it's compatible with android, it mentions ipad, ipod and iPhone no mention of android ?

Thanks Al

Last edited:

suirspey

Reaction score
I've an Android and it works fine with me, and yes it is HUDL Technique, I just opened the app and it's looking for me to sign up but I still think it's free

Speytime

Reaction score
Thanks for that suirspey that will be very useful for all aspects of casting.
Eta
Ideal i've just had a quick mess around with it, it's extremely handy for analysis of your casting as well as a multitude of other sports.

Al

Last edited:

suirspey

Reaction score
No problem AL I thought it was a great tool for any sport too, and one of the best features is the split screen to compare two vids simultaneously

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
If you are casting off a bank - or close to a bank - in the conditions you describe, casting off your left will stop you going nuts from your line getting trapped in vegetation. I'm not great at it - but it's well worth persevering!

munro

Reaction score
Fault could be a few things someone who knows will suss, when watching you
Practice find a bit of river unused with shallow stream all the way accross,wade to middle so flowing water each side
Start with roll cast rhand ,then rollcast l hand do this alternativley until happy,
Repeat same hand changing doing jump spey until happy
Repeat single spey etc, snapt, c, circle or whatever casts, you can of course just practice one cast at a time until you feel confident left mirrors right. but start basics get okay before next, you can even break the cast down into the sections, practice lift,sweep set forward cast all seperate

Last edited:

Speytime

Reaction score
I couldn't understand why I would use my left hand up unnecessarily?
I commented about people using there right when the water is running left to right.

I realised the answer today... the clear expanse of water to your left or a brush covered bank to your right.

Right hand up is fine with a water borne anchor, but for touch and go i have to use my left hand up.

Al

D

Deleted member 21259

I couldn't understand why I would use my left hand up unnecessarily?
I commented about people using there right when the water is running left to right.

I realised the answer today... the clear expanse of water to your left or a brush covered bank to your right.

Right hand up is fine with a water borne anchor, but for touch and go i have to use my left hand up.

Al

With water running left to right if you want a touch and go cast with your right hand up then a snake roll will do it for you. Please don't ever contemplate it though in an upstream wind as it can prove dangerous

Rrrr

Reaction score
With water running left to right if you want a touch and go cast with your right hand up then a snake roll will do it for you. Please don't ever contemplate it though in an upstream wind as it can prove dangerous
Its dangerous in any conditions if you cast like me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Speytime

Reaction score
Its dangerous in any conditions if you cast like me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
That isn't really helpful, could you expand on your reply?
I think I'm doing very well with touch and go of my left, the leader not landing straight 100% is any major problem, is it?