Latest smolt tagging rumours on Deeside

Deepwading

Reaction score

• 100 smolts tagged on a spawning tributary in the upper river (upstream of Braemar).
  • Tagging performed by Marine Scotland Science (fish labs)
  • 16 (16%) assumed to have died due to immediate impacts of surgery/tagging.
  • 82% of the remaining fish were subsequently recorded in the estuary at Aberdeen.

Big Ben

Reaction score

• 100 smolts tagged on a spawning tributary in the upper river (upstream of Braemar).
  • 82% of the remaining fish were subsequently recorded in the estuary at Aberdeen.

So we are prepared to stick a tag and release with a 16% mortality rate (assumed) yet wont release without tags hatchery fish in case they are genetically flawed (without a tag in them).

Seems like the right move going forward.

salarchaser

Reaction score

The remaining 2 were tracked flying North West at 30 feet.:eek:

SOS

Reaction score
For the experiment to hold any substance i would have thought that it would have to be the same each year,where three burns were used for the trapping and tagging of smolts. If this rummer is true only one burn used is not like for like and only 2% lost to predators is way down on last year?

Deepwading

Reaction score

Just checked the Dee Fisheries/Trust website/Facebook. Not a peep about this.

Mum's the word?

mows

Reaction score
Im not sure how someone can "assume" 16% died due to tagging?

Doesn't sound right.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Details

Dr Matt Newton gave us a talk on this in June down here. He's heading the AST smolt-tracking project in the Moray Firth: Conon, Deveron and Foyle in Ireland.

If you Google around you can find his PhD project on the web and those on the above rivers.

I can't recall the mortalities quoted but they are not easy to estimate. Short-term losses are thought to be minimal as the fish are allowed to recover before stocking but don't quote me.

As the acoustic tags have to be small to fit into smolts, that restricts battery life to about 28 days I think. This has been sufficient to show very high mortality in reaching the sea and inshore ares, save in the Dee it seems. There was an earlier project on the Dee.

In the USA, longer term tracking was though to increase mortality. Let me know Mows if you cannot find the stuff.

My gut instinct suggests to me that a control experiment is needed to verify tag mortality. But the whole business is so expensive.

Im not sure how someone can "assume" 16% died due to tagging?

Doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

Eminem

Reaction score
Seems highly unlikely given the amount of saw-toothed birds on Deeside. Let's wait for the formal report/announcement.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Seems highly unlikely given the amount of saw-toothed birds on Deeside. Let's wait for the formal report/announcement.

Not just " On Deeside" Eminem but everywhere i have fished last 5-10 years they are present . A pool i fish regularly has a spawning burn entering it and they are almost always at the mouth hunting, when they get spooked or scared off they just fly further up the burn. Even when fishing the amount you see is unreal. The upper reaches of the River Teith/Lenny around Callendar has also got what seems like flocks of them.What chance do the you have of these once quality Spring rivers have of bouncing back when the smolts are being hoovered up all the way to sea. It is amazing any actually survive till smolting and make it out to sea.

midgydug

Reaction score
Another report/survey.
As an old gamekeeper used to tell me, "you can put anything on paper, even sh#t;