Lakselv , 2020, And No fishing for Foreign Anglers, and No Refund

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I did not apply for a refund but a credit to my account as this was the easiest way of doing it. If I had cancelled the flight then I would be in breach of my contract. I know I will use this credit in the next 12 months so it was a no brainer.
Just to put this in perspective if everybody makes claims for their money back most of the smaller airlines and also travel agencies will disappear and this will make travel and holidays very expensive and the days of cheap travel a thing of the past.
I read in the news that after this the airline’s will be completing for your business and that flights and holidays will be a lot cheaper.

salmo76

Reaction score
I did not apply for a refund but a credit to my account as this was the easiest way of doing it. If I had cancelled the flight then I would be in breach of my contract. I know I will use this credit in the next 12 months so it was a no brainer.
Just to put this in perspective if everybody makes claims for their money back most of the smaller airlines and also travel agencies will disappear and this will make travel and holidays very expensive and the days of cheap travel a thing of the past.

I`m in the same boat regarding flights to Norway but I`ll have to wait until they cancel . In a bit of a quandary what to do but I reckon i`ll go for a refund as who knows if certain flights will still be available / affordable next year. Better for me to get the cash back than have what might be a worthless promissory note in my hands. I reckon with the financial tsunami that is gathering height with every lockdown month that passes it wont matter whether we accept vouchers or not. Probably the only airlines with a good chance of survival are those that will be saved by their governments for social and political reasons but will that still include cheap travel for foreigners ?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I agree but I was tagging onto someone else’s trip and so there is may not be flying with them within 12 months. I also paid the premium price to enable a full refund if necessary.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Still a lot of serious operators here, especially in Trøndelag. That being said, I'm amazed that so few international anglers don't fish in Northern Sweden - huge fish, extremely long pieces of cheap public water and not to crowded, especially compared to overrated and overpriced classic Norwegian waters.

I read one of their magazines each month on readly. A lot of nice water up there. Ive added it to my bucket list.

The lakselva people are idiots, people wont go back if they dont trust the beat owners. Ive read of people planning to fish Finland instead next year.

sgellert

Reaction score
Can I ask how long the delay was? I’ve been waiting for 6-7 weeks now for an SAS refund. I’ve had a nice interim e-mail saying they are ploughing through all the refunds but it’s seems a bit excessive?
Thanks,
Iain

My mom cancelled a business class ticket to London with SAS a few months ago, and hasn't received the refund yet, so I'm guessing they're just slow.
I had one to Helsinki, but it was paid with points, so the refund was pretty much immediate.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
My mom cancelled a business class ticket to London with SAS a few months ago, and hasn't received the refund yet, so I'm guessing they're just slow.
I had one to Helsinki, but it was paid with points, so the refund was pretty much immediate.

Thanks, I’m sure it’ll come but good to know it’s not just me.

mammoth69

Reaction score
An update from Lakselva......

for foreign fishermen

On 18 May Lakselv Grunneierforening ("LGF") issued information on our home page and Facebook site regarding the existing travel restrictions for foreign fishermen. We also provided information that the board of LGF has decided that at this point of time and based on the current knowledge related to the travel restrictions no refunds of fishing licences will be made. We also informed that a final decision will not be made until the fishing season has ended, in order to obtain a better overview of the actual consequences of the Covid-19 travel restrictions for both our fishermen and for LGF.
After our initial statement several foreign fishermen has contacted us and many of our fishermen has responded on our Facebook page. It seems that some of the respondents have made assumptions and statements that are based on misunderstandings, both with respect to what we have actually communicated, and also with respect to Norwegian law and LGF's economy and intentions. Please see below clarifications of LGF's position in this matter.
First of all, we want to express that all of us in LGF are sincerely very sad and concerned about the Civid-19 situation, and the travel restrictions imposed by governments around the world, including for Norway. The consequences for our foreign fishermen may of course be very negative if the fishing licences cannot be used as supposed.
Secondly, as stated in our communication, LGF has not yet made a final decision as to the question of refunds. The Norwegian government has stated that it will provide further regulations by 15 June with respect to the Nordic countries and certain other countries. It may therefore still be possible for many of our Scandinavian guests and possibly also for other European guests to travel to Lakselv and make use of the fishing licence. Moreover, the government will also issue information on other countries within 20 July. On this background we still not know, unfortunately, which travel restrictions will actually exist, and the consequences for our foreign fishermen. In such a situation we cannot anticipate, on uncertain grounds, consequences that may possibly not be true, and can therefore not offer foreign fishermen a refund now.
We have therefore decided to wait until the government issue new information and rules for travel to Norway (probably close to 15 June) before we again consider the actual situation, we can anticipate going into the fishing season. In this evaluation we have also considered that Lakselva is a "late river" and that almost all our sales are for the period after 1 July. Thus, new regulations given around 15 June should also be possible to cope with and plan for by at least most of our fishermen.
Thirdly, we would like to inform that our decision so far is not based on any intention to benefit inappropriately on our foreign fishermen. We value and cherish all our customers and will do our outmost to find a solution that is acceptable for both LGF and our customers. Please note, however, that LGF is a small association with limited economic resources. We have contractual obligations towards both private and public landowners, and operating

expenses that cannot just be cut off or cancelled. Licences sold to foreign fishermen also constitute a majority of our sale, meaning that offering a refund to all foreign fishermen is simply not possible, and it would in any case be right out hazardous if such a decision was made even before we know if (and which groups of) foreign fishermen are denied access to Norway. Please also note that the Norwegian state's different aid-packages to businesses due to Covid-19 consequences will not enable LGF to support. That is at least the current situation.
Fourthly, we also want to inform that it is not correct that LGF is obliged to provide a refund under Norwegian law. If that was the case, we would of course have offered such refunds. To the contrary, it is stated explicitly in our terms & conditions, which must be accepted prior to purchase, that all purchases are non-refundable. Please also note that it is not LGF that cannot offer its product, but the unfortunate travel restrictions issued out of control of LGF that is imposing the problem. Also, Norwegian contract law principles imply (in general) that a buyer is himself responsible for travel to the destination he intends to visit, and that the seller of local services has no legal obligation to refund a prepayment if the traveller cannot make the journey. This is different than in cases where fishing is sold as a "package" with also housing/rooms, in which case the seller is obliged to refund (this is the case with a lot of the fishing in many other rivers).
As stated above, we underline however, that even though LGF has no legal obligation to make refunds, we are deeply concerned of the possible negative consequences for our foreign fishermen. We are therefore monitoring the situation closely and will make our outmost to seek to find a solution that can accommodate best possible those with losses. We do not know, however, now what the travel restrictions will be, and due to that, what the consequences will be for both our fishermen and for LGF.
Finally, we have received feedback from many foreign fishermen that they want to fish Lakselva if they allowed to come to Norway and want to wait and see what new and hopefully more liberal travel restrictions may be issued by 15 June, and up to 20 July. We hope that new regulations will allow at least a vast majority of our foreign fishermen to come to Lakselva this summer.
This is also partly the reason that we have not wanted to start cancelling licences with the aim to resell such licences in the Norwegian market. When we also know more about what the situation will be, hopefully by 15 June, the board of LGF will again evaluate the situation. In these considerations we will of course also take into consideration different constructive and good suggestions from our fishermen. In the meantime, we kindly ask for your continued patience with this for us all very difficult situation.
25 May, 2020
Lakselv Grunneierforening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
An update from Lakselva......

for foreign fishermen

On 18 May Lakselv Grunneierforening ("LGF") issued information on our home page and Facebook site regarding the existing travel restrictions for foreign fishermen. We also provided information that the board of LGF has decided that at this point of time and based on the current knowledge related to the travel restrictions no refunds of fishing licences will be made. We also informed that a final decision will not be made until the fishing season has ended, in order to obtain a better overview of the actual consequences of the Covid-19 travel restrictions for both our fishermen and for LGF.
After our initial statement several foreign fishermen has contacted us and many of our fishermen has responded on our Facebook page. It seems that some of the respondents have made assumptions and statements that are based on misunderstandings, both with respect to what we have actually communicated, and also with respect to Norwegian law and LGF's economy and intentions. Please see below clarifications of LGF's position in this matter.
First of all, we want to express that all of us in LGF are sincerely very sad and concerned about the Civid-19 situation, and the travel restrictions imposed by governments around the world, including for Norway. The consequences for our foreign fishermen may of course be very negative if the fishing licences cannot be used as supposed.
Secondly, as stated in our communication, LGF has not yet made a final decision as to the question of refunds. The Norwegian government has stated that it will provide further regulations by 15 June with respect to the Nordic countries and certain other countries. It may therefore still be possible for many of our Scandinavian guests and possibly also for other European guests to travel to Lakselv and make use of the fishing licence. Moreover, the government will also issue information on other countries within 20 July. On this background we still not know, unfortunately, which travel restrictions will actually exist, and the consequences for our foreign fishermen. In such a situation we cannot anticipate, on uncertain grounds, consequences that may possibly not be true, and can therefore not offer foreign fishermen a refund now.
We have therefore decided to wait until the government issue new information and rules for travel to Norway (probably close to 15 June) before we again consider the actual situation, we can anticipate going into the fishing season. In this evaluation we have also considered that Lakselva is a "late river" and that almost all our sales are for the period after 1 July. Thus, new regulations given around 15 June should also be possible to cope with and plan for by at least most of our fishermen.
Thirdly, we would like to inform that our decision so far is not based on any intention to benefit inappropriately on our foreign fishermen. We value and cherish all our customers and will do our outmost to find a solution that is acceptable for both LGF and our customers. Please note, however, that LGF is a small association with limited economic resources. We have contractual obligations towards both private and public landowners, and operating

expenses that cannot just be cut off or cancelled. Licences sold to foreign fishermen also constitute a majority of our sale, meaning that offering a refund to all foreign fishermen is simply not possible, and it would in any case be right out hazardous if such a decision was made even before we know if (and which groups of) foreign fishermen are denied access to Norway. Please also note that the Norwegian state's different aid-packages to businesses due to Covid-19 consequences will not enable LGF to support. That is at least the current situation.
Fourthly, we also want to inform that it is not correct that LGF is obliged to provide a refund under Norwegian law. If that was the case, we would of course have offered such refunds. To the contrary, it is stated explicitly in our terms & conditions, which must be accepted prior to purchase, that all purchases are non-refundable. Please also note that it is not LGF that cannot offer its product, but the unfortunate travel restrictions issued out of control of LGF that is imposing the problem. Also, Norwegian contract law principles imply (in general) that a buyer is himself responsible for travel to the destination he intends to visit, and that the seller of local services has no legal obligation to refund a prepayment if the traveller cannot make the journey. This is different than in cases where fishing is sold as a "package" with also housing/rooms, in which case the seller is obliged to refund (this is the case with a lot of the fishing in many other rivers).
As stated above, we underline however, that even though LGF has no legal obligation to make refunds, we are deeply concerned of the possible negative consequences for our foreign fishermen. We are therefore monitoring the situation closely and will make our outmost to seek to find a solution that can accommodate best possible those with losses. We do not know, however, now what the travel restrictions will be, and due to that, what the consequences will be for both our fishermen and for LGF.
Finally, we have received feedback from many foreign fishermen that they want to fish Lakselva if they allowed to come to Norway and want to wait and see what new and hopefully more liberal travel restrictions may be issued by 15 June, and up to 20 July. We hope that new regulations will allow at least a vast majority of our foreign fishermen to come to Lakselva this summer.
This is also partly the reason that we have not wanted to start cancelling licences with the aim to resell such licences in the Norwegian market. When we also know more about what the situation will be, hopefully by 15 June, the board of LGF will again evaluate the situation. In these considerations we will of course also take into consideration different constructive and good suggestions from our fishermen. In the meantime, we kindly ask for your continued patience with this for us all very difficult situation.
25 May, 2020
Lakselv Grunneierforening

Did Dominic Cummings write that for them? :p

mammoth69

Reaction score
It’s pretty frustrating tbh - most other rivers have been very accommodating.

I hope they decide at the end of the season to see sense to issue refunds / future permits for anglers who can’t go this year.

Not holding out any hopes tho.

my travel insurance will cover it anyway.

M.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
It’s ok though the LGF are very sad and concerned and don’t want to benefit from keeping everybody’s money.
But are anyway.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
total load bollox. Bla Bla Bla, and no refund.
I do hope fishers keep spreading the word on how greedy they are, and like few of us will not be returning. A meeting on 15th June, has no effect on us, then on 20th July, they may let Skandis in, but no one outside neighboring countries. The know now the rest of us cant come.
Re. Sell the licences, it will be easy as prime time is end July , begining August. And this year it all gonna be late, as everything still frozen, and a lot snow on ground, so you not getting near that water till into June.???

Heero

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, it's going to get crowded up there.

People are going to be pretty disappointed when they show up to what theyve imagined as uncrowded rivers to fish in solitude only to find the thousand other folks who read this topic on SFF had the same idea.

How will they cope, especially fishing on public waterways where you must share rather than simplying buying your exclusive section of river for the duration of the trip?

Its going to bedlam! Mayhem!

Ha ha

D

Deleted member 10733

People are going to be pretty disappointed when they show up to what theyve imagined as uncrowded rivers to fish in solitude only to find the thousand other folks who read this topic on SFF had the same idea.

How will they cope, especially fishing on public waterways where you must share rather than simplying buying your exclusive section of river for the duration of the trip?

Its going to bedlam! Mayhem!

Ha ha

I think most British salmon anglers are used to pressured rivers, Heero, but there will be quite a few rotation queues at certain beats up north. I would definitely avoid Byske and the likes for a year or two after they open.

ballintemple

Reaction score
I`m in the same boat regarding flights to Norway but I`ll have to wait until they cancel . In a bit of a quandary what to do but I reckon i`ll go for a refund as who knows if certain flights will still be available / affordable next year. Better for me to get the cash back than have what might be a worthless promissory note in my hands. I reckon with the financial tsunami that is gathering height with every lockdown month that passes it wont matter whether we accept vouchers or not. Probably the only airlines with a good chance of survival are those that will be saved by their governments for social and political reasons but will that still include cheap travel for foreigners ?
A further note on this:
when SAS told me my flight was cancelled I was directed to a site where there were refund and voucher options. The Refund option screen froze; when I tried to refresh it a system message told me my time had expired and the refund option was no longer available! Then, subsequently, that my request for a refund was being processed. There's a comedy sketch in there somewhere. Anyway, I'm ok with it as I'll probably be going to Norway next year, and if not the voucher notice says that a refund can be had if the voucher is not used within the year. The airlines clearly have massive cash flow problems.

Last edited:

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I think if any average fisher is thinking to fish Sweden for Baltics, then they better get practise on their wading skills, and fishing heavy sunk lines of left shoulder. It hard fishing, and any Swedes I fish with are good, and crazy waders. Most are forestry rivers, and are deep right to the edge. And the fish rarely come up to take the fly, so you fishing heavy.
Certainly not for the beginner. and dont expect a guide in most places to put you on fish and net them.
Do your homework first.

Heero

Reaction score
I think if any average fisher is thinking to fish Sweden for Baltics, then they better get practise on their wading skills, and fishing heavy sunk lines of left shoulder. It hard fishing, and any Swedes I fish with are good, and crazy waders. Most are forestry rivers, and are deep right to the edge. And the fish rarely come up to take the fly, so you fishing heavy.
Certainly not for the beginner. and dont expect a guide in most places to put you on fish and net them.
Do your homework first.

Its really great.

SJF

Reaction score
I have a week booked 7th June on the Orkla and our group have been in contact with the beat owner. We had paid the first half of the booking and were due to pay the balance at the end of March. The owner has said he will use the deposit for next year and if he can sell the week to Norwegian anglers he would refund the money paid. We have decided to leave the deposit for next season as a reserve on the booking. The owner was very helpful and is a really nice guy.
I have also been on to SAS Airline and they have credited my account with the amount I have paid for my ticket and I can use this over the next 12 months in payment of any flight and would only need to pay any difference. I will use this for my flight next season.
I had my booking, for which I had paid 50% deposit for, on the Gaula ( Winsnes) moved to next year. I have taken a voucher for my KLM flights. Dissapointing, but still I'm looking forward to 2021. :)

D

Deleted member 10733

Its really great.
That made me chuckle. Did you ever fish Lakselva in June, Heero? I bet you did, and the quote from LGF that it was a "late" river startled me because I know it only tails off in the summer. For fresh big fish anyway, the majority is already in the lakes by then. No better time to be there than in the second half of June on a falling river, when the crowds don't bother you because it still looks too high and the fishing may be "a little" rough.:cool: Those that don't mind to take a punch sometimes will find out the big silver fish don't mind either. It's really great, I agree.

Heero

Reaction score
That made me chuckle. Did you ever fish Lakselva in June, Heero? I bet you did, and the quote from LGF that it was a "late" river startled me because I know it only tails off in the summer. For fresh big fish anyway, the majority is already in the lakes by then. No better time to be there than in the second half of June on a falling river, when the crowds don't bother you because it still looks too high and the fishing may be "a little" rough.:cool: Those that don't mind to take a punch sometimes will find out the big silver fish don't mind either. It's really great, I agree.

No, I only fished it once the first week of July. It was also a great river, tho I enjoyed both hiking up the south side of Stabburs to get between the lakes and falls along with walking Borselva more than I did Lakselva. Stabbur country is really awesome.

D

Deleted member 10733

No, I only fished it once the first week of July. It was also a great river, tho I enjoyed both hiking up the south side of Stabburs to get between the lakes and falls along with walking Borselva more than I did Lakselva. Stabbur country is really awesome.
Loved those too, to get to Borselva was an adventure on it's own in high water. ;) One year I happened to stumble upon a large pod of fresh salmon that had gone up the tributary because the main river falls in the gorge were too high. Left them to it but coming back from the glass pool I fell back upon it maybe two miles upstream and walked down. I found much better places to cross it too and you still need to climb out of the ravine afterwards, but what a beautiful little river it is. And fishable with a one hander too from what I've seen, but I've never been sure if fishing was allowed there, no tickets for it, although the locals with their yearly permits were quite mysterious about it when I raised the question. Anyway, if you've never been up that way, you should, I think it's right up your street. :cool:

Daveygc

Reaction score
Slight variation on the original post but is anyone booked to go to Iceland this summer and if so have you been given any options for refunds/changing the booking etc?

Davey