Lady Caroline size 2

Pete V

Reaction score
It's very interesting that the flat tinsel and the oval are tied in different directions.
What do you use for the tail and the hackles?

Thanks
Pete

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Astute observation on your part Pete. Counter wrapping a fine oval tinsel over the body hackle to increase security over the thin stem of the hackle feather was common in Spey style flies like this one.

The tail and throat are made from the red body feathers of the golden pheasant while the body hackle is a natural grey heron feather.

Cheers!

Pete V

Reaction score
Astute observation on your part Pete. Counter wrapping a fine oval tinsel over the body hackle to increase security over the thin stem of the hackle feather was common in Spey style flies like this one.

The tail and throat are made from the red body feathers of the golden pheasant while the body hackle is a natural grey heron feather.

Cheers!
I thought that heron feathers were illegal in most of the world.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Canada has a tradition for using Spey flies I believe?
Whilst gaudy flies have their place I’m sure these more natural colours and creations will still take fish where the gaudy flies fail.

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
Canada has a tradition for using Spey flies I believe?
Great question Andrew. I live on the East coast of Canada and I would say there is a mild tradition of using Spey and Dee style flies. However, on the west coast of Canada, the use and popularity of such flies is far greater than on the East coast.

One “problem” with using them on our side is the typical size of these flies are unsuitable for our typical summer fishing conditions when we use size 6 to size 10 flies. Only during flood conditions and fishing for our spring salmon (which are actually kelts, not fresh run fish and I have never fished for them), and late fall do we use the size of flies that are typical for Spey and Dee flies.

Cheers!

Marc

onelastcast

Reaction score
I will second what Ian said excellent tying,Istill like to tie and fish featherwings-not to your standard though they are excellent .Over the years I have narrowed it down to a few patterns green highlander ,mar lodge,lady caroline,black doctor and a thunder and lightning thanks for posting the pictures I like the hooks with the down eye best wishes onelastcast