Lack of fish showing this season?

westie4566

Reaction score
I have fished a few rivers this year and have been beaten by conditions a few times. No water, blue skies etc.
Yesterday I fished the River Dee on a perfect height of water, dull day, no wind, early October, and apart from a
half hearted offer first time down the pool, 2 rods had nothing for the day.
All in , we saw about 10 fish showing, and we fished hard till darkening. Very disappointing and sad to see.
Me and my fishing buddy had 23 for our 3 days in September in 2011. That was only 10 years ago. What's happened ?
I have fished the Dee for nearly 30 years and have never seen it so poor.
In the 90's the catches were down but you still saw fish and it filled up at the back end.
Now I fear the worst, and the hope that next season might be better is wearing a bit thin.
Hatcheries ?? that's another topic that caused more arguments on here than most things,
but its clear that the river is needing help, and quick, and what we are doing just now is not working.
Not withstanding other rivers, the Dee fish just 'switched' off a couple of weeks ago.

Fished over plenty of disinterested fish a week past Thursday. It was just depressing and pointless tbh.

I'm led to believe that the October extension below Aboyne Bridge may be rescinded by the Board and that the ghillies have no objections to that either. No runs of silver backend fish anymore. That switched on, out of nowhere, and has switched off again. Probably a good idea to shorten the season

I don't know if I'll wet a line again this season. If the past few are anything to go by the fish are off the take and should be left to get on with it. Sad state of affairs as a few years back I'd have been fishing hard until closing day with every chance of a silver licer.

Gordon, the lack of showing fish has been a gradual decline over the past decade. I have no idea why that is, other than lack of numbers to cause 'fighting' for lies?

A sad state of affairs as I recall an August fish arriving into a lie in our own fishing 10 years ago and showing constantly. It pulled at two size 12 flies and finally settled for a 14! A club cup, now mothballed , still has my name on it for that 14lb liced beastie. It was braw smoked as well (y)

K MacC

Reaction score
Fish eating birds, mink, otters, herons, trout seals and dolphin's are all predating the salmon at some point in their life cycle. Then there humans with our nets and pollution. Global warming may bring more drought years, higher water temperatures and increased mortality.
To pinpoint any specific one problem is difficult to find, more than likely the problems are complex and there will be a combination of them.
Getting permission to remove goosanders is difficult what's the chance of removing problem otters, seals or dolphins? Until a simpler system is introduced to remove these problem predators we will continue to see a decline.
There is no point in hatcheries to feed predators!
Seals are a major problem for returning salmon, instead of protecting their haul outs at our river mouths they should be moved on and any found above the high tide mark should be removed through the general licence.

midgydug

Reaction score
Not withstanding other rivers, the Dee fish just 'switched' off a couple of weeks ago.

Fished over plenty of disinterested fish a week past Thursday. It was just depressing and pointless tbh.

I'm led to believe that the October extension below Aboyne Bridge may be rescinded by the Board and that the ghillies have no objections to that either. No runs of silver backend fish anymore. That switched on, out of nowhere, and has switched off again. Probably a good idea to shorten the season

I don't know if I'll wet a line again this season. If the past few are anything to go by the fish are off the take and should be left to get on with it. Sad state of affairs as a few years back I'd have been fishing hard until closing day with every chance of a silver licer.

Gordon, the lack of showing fish has been a gradual decline over the past decade. I have no idea why that is, other than lack of numbers to cause 'fighting' for lies?

A sad state of affairs as I recall an August fish arriving into a lie in our own fishing 10 years ago and showing constantly. It pulled at two size 12 flies and finally settled for a 14! A club cup, now mothballed , still has my name on it for that 14lb liced beastie. It was braw smoked as well (y)
That was the first time I have fished the Dee in October , and will be the last.
When the extension was granted for the beats below Aboyne a ghillie told me , not one salmon will benefit from it. Which I thought was a very true and diplomatic disagreement.
The big back end runs have indeed stopped all over, Tweed, Earn etc were all famous for it. Maybe it is time to cut our seasons shorter , if it would help I would be all for it as we are trying to save the Salmon and not just Salmon fishing.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If you think about most rivers, the most eagerly awaited time was in Autumn as solid, clean fish would arrive as late as November on the Tweed and September and October on others?
There’s always been exceptions like the Wye and the Dee but spring fishing was generally pretty hard going for the average angler. I have 2012 A’s the last year I fished a river with large numbers of clean running fish in October and after that it was like a switch being turned off.
What I’m getting it at, is I actually think most rivers now are only seeing the usual smattering of early runners and the main bulk of May-July fish? So even on a year with no water, alts gonna do is hold those fish back and when it does rain it will invariably spread em out.
Quite why Sea Trout are running later and depriving me of my May and June fishing is most perplexing?

Warwick I

Reaction score
The rivers I mostly fish Ribble, Lune, Eden salmon numbers running these rivers have fallen off a cliff this year from what I have observed while fishing them.

Oscar

Reaction score
We saw relatively few on the Thurso this year, which we'd put down to the low summer levels and lack of fish in the river. However, when the rains came there were plenty being caught, but again not many showing. We thought maybe there just pushing up river when they had the chance.

Last year there were fish showing EVERYWHERE and in good numbers, although catching them was a different story!

Oscar.

keirstream

Reaction score
If anyone is interested enough to delve back into the archives of this forum, you will uncover a very emotive debate regarding the Dee extension. I and others argued vigorously against the establishment of such an invasive measure on a river that was a spring (right from 1st February) and summer fishery. The fish after that were mostly potted, ripe and best left alone. Particularly so above Park Bridge, the fish were well past it then. They even included the Feugh, a grilse river in the proposals F.F.S.o_Oo_O
I was denigrated and personally attacked on these pages at that time by people like MacD and Greenbanks, both of whom went on to take high profile paid positions within the Dee board. What did I know? What gave me the right to comment on the Dee? I was generally considered to be an anathema or a fruitcake, dependent on which individual had a go at me.:D
History tells you the deed was indeed done.:(
Ballogie was overwhelmed with Scandis who pulled 150 black fish virtually off the redds or certainly from their preferred redding location. Those 150 fish landed, plus countless other fish pricked stressed and maybe died, maybe aborted eggs, were subjected to another week of torture. They posted photos on here claiming the fish to be clean and reignited another rammy.
Now it has turned full circle,
The self fulfilling prophesies of many people on here and not an inconsiderable number of Dee ghillies has sadly come to be.
In the final analysis, it was ALL about revenue for the big estates on the lower river and NOTHING about the consideration given to fish welfare which was the nub of my argument at the time.:(

westie4566

Reaction score
If anyone is interested enough to delve back into the archives of this forum, you will uncover a very emotive debate regarding the Dee extension. I and others argued vigorously against the establishment of such an invasive measure on a river that was a spring (right from 1st February) and summer fishery. The fish after that were mostly potted, ripe and best left alone. Particularly so above Park Bridge, the fish were well past it then. They even included the Feugh, a grilse river in the proposals F.F.S.o_Oo_O
I was denigrated and personally attacked on these pages at that time by people like MacD and Greenbanks, both of whom went on to take high profile paid positions within the Dee board. What did I know? What gave me the right to comment on the Dee? I was generally considered to be an anathema or a fruitcake, dependent on which individual had a go at me.:D
Ballogie was overwhelmed with Scandis who pulled 150 black fish virtually off the redds or certainly from their preferred redding location. Those 150 fish landed, plus countless other fish pricked stressed and maybe died, maybe aborted eggs, were subjected to another week of torture. They posted photos on here claiming the fish to be clean and reignited another rammy.
The self fulfilling prophesies of many people on here and not an inconsiderable number of Dee ghillies has sadly come to be.
In the final analysis, it was ALL about revenue for the big estates on the lower river and NOTHING about the consideration given to fish welfare which was the nub of my argument at the time.:(
I recall the Scandi 'incident' well Tom, it was pretty shocking but came after the backend run disappeared. Of course that suggests that the extension should maybe have gone sooner. However, I don't make the decisions!

To be fair, the extension was put on because, seemingly out of nowhere, there was a bloody good run of solid, silver fish late on. However, I'm sure that somewhere the element of extra income came into play too.

midgydug

Reaction score
Hit the nail right on the head. Its usually greed that knackers everything for everyone. I have had big days and blank days. But at least on the blank days you were seeing fish, and weren't coming away downhearted.
The prices have kept going up as the numbers have gone down. I suppose we are the mugs for keeping going but it will come a time folk will have had enough.
I have fished for 40 years and no doubt seen the best of it,. But nothing like the generation of anglers before me when you hear their stories. So if the trend continues how do we encourage youngsters into Salmon angling.
The stats aren't good for the future of Salmon and Salmon fishers.
The whole thread is about how many we are "seeing" now, not catching. Which tells its own story

mows

Reaction score
Maybe MCX has something re the low warm water and fish going into a comatose state.
My catch rate per hour is ok this year.
Though still down on last year.
Mainly because i didnt bother in poor conditions.
But ive hardly saw a fish splash all year.
Last week i had 4 fish and only saw one fish splash.
Most of the season i would have sworn the southie was devoid of fish.
I never even caught a seatrout at prime time.
But once the rains arrived the fishing has been ok.
Right through may, june and july, there was plenty fresh fish appearing at the loups on the Northie, but nothing getting caught or seen down stream.

Hopefully we get a bit more water next year.

keirstream

Reaction score
To be fair, the extension was put on because, seemingly out of nowhere, there was a bloody good run of solid, silver fish late on. However, I'm sure that somewhere the element of extra income came into play too.
Yes Andy, but, and it is a big but, the run petered out above Park Bridge, the run appeared to settle into the pools downstream of that location. The decision to grant the extension upstream to Aboyne Bridge including the Feugh was bizarre, they might as well have just granted it all the way up to the Linn for all the difference it made. :(

westie4566

Reaction score
Yes Andy, but, and it is a big but, the run petered out above Park Bridge, the run appeared to settle into the pools downstream of that location. The decision to grant the extension upstream to Aboyne Bridge including the Feugh was bizarre, they might as well have just granted it all the way up to the Linn for all the difference it made. :(
Yeah. the thinking was a bit 'muddled' to say the least. And sadly, like elsewhere that back end run fizzled out fairly quickly.

One hopes it'll return on all rivers, but now it seems we get a smattering of spring fish, a grilse run and that's it. It's a bit of a b'ugger in terms of this pattern of long droughts as we can't even get a crack at the grilse on most of the rivers as they're down to a trickle during the summer.

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
A friend has just come back from a few days on a beat at Banchory. Not sure which one. 15 fish between 10 and 20 lb's for the party all black as your hat. I cannot see the point. You're interfering with nature's cycle and then complain when there are no fish?