Kori bustard sub

steve48

Reaction score
Hi Have any of you have any idea's on a kori bustard subs or spotting up any other feather? thanks steve

steve48

Reaction score
Ok has anyone taken a white feather dyed it a base colour, then spotted it with colour or bleach to create a bustard sub ?

steve48

Reaction score
In the photo No 1 bronze turkey, No2 bronze turkey lightly bleached, No 3 bronze turkey more bleaching No4 what i use as a bustard sub at the moment but i think that the colour is not right for bustard, as bustard comes in from light to dark, out of No2 or 3 am i on the right track or do you think it looks more like golden pheasant tail any comments or advice thanks steve

Attachments

• 20220108_160020.jpg
    20220108_160020.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

Andrew B

Reaction score
In the photo No 1 bronze turkey, No2 bronze turkey lightly bleached, No 3 bronze turkey more bleaching No4 what i use as a bustard sub at the moment but i think that the colour is not right for bustard, as bustard comes in from light to dark, out of No2 or 3 am i on the right track or do you think it looks more like golden pheasant tail any comments or advice thanks steve
Some of those natural Turkey feathers are beautiful in their own right aren’t they?
Kori Bustard is such a nice material where even just a few fibres really stand out.
I seem to remember back when I was making classics and through starting out I didn’t have much in the way of materials and I’m sure there were maybe parts of America or something that even Kori was banned and I do remember seeing white turkey being printed in some way with black marks and dyed brown but it being a a time consuming process in itself, some of these subs can cost a bit.
Have you ever been in touch with Cookshill? As before I was kindly gifted materials like Bustard (their were some very generous people in that community) I remember at the Cookshill stand at fly fairs, his was the only place I’d ever seen such materials as Bustard and even sets of cotinga.

Truth is that nothing really comes close to Kori or the lighter Arabian Bustard but in my experience I found that if you join a classic tying forum or maybe Facebook and you start posting your flies, you may be surprised at the generosity or possible cheap deals esp if you buck the general trend of wanting to tie big ie 4/0, there is more scope for getting the real stuff in some of the smaller feathers and the odd slips that we tended to put aside.
My first ever parcel from a well known guy was just a bunch of his old unwanted flies that looked amazing to me,where I was told to pull out the wings a re use the Bustard. Not long after I chipped with others for a set of huge Amgold feathers, which was a larger and easier version of using Golden pheasant.
I realise my answer about a suitable sub is a long one but as the subs are for Bustard are pretty poor I can only express that being such a small community if you join in, no matter your standard you do find how the system of critiques and having a mentor is a great way to learn about subs and hopefully finding the real stuff.

steve48

Reaction score
Andrew thank you for the reply the problem i have with bustard is one is the cost, my wife dont like the idea of spending £80 plus on a pair of feathers the other is citties you can not export from the host country so thats a no no for me so hence trying to come up with a feather that is readily available and cheap, The two feathers in the photo No 2 and No 3 are both bronze turkey that i have attacked with bleaching powder and peroxide and a dog grooming brush the one with spikes and nipples to get the colour combo similar to a bustard feather what do you think

Marc LeBlanc

Reaction score
While I encourage exploring the making of substitute materials, for kori bustard I would look for finely vermiculated dark turkey tail feathers or the “wrong” side of peacock secondary wing feathers. Capercaillie tail feathers are also a great kori/indian “look alike” feather. Another natural substitute which I find is very beautiful is occelleted turkey tail feathers. I purchased a pair quite cheaply a few years ago on eBay.

Marrying dark turkey/peacock wing with light turkey/peacock in the same wing gives a very similar appearance to a wing which includes real kori. A bit of a “trompe l'oeil” effect.

I very much like the look you achieved by bleaching turkey tail feathers. My concern would be the damage to the integrity of the feather by the bleach.

Cheers,

Marc

Fruin

Reaction score
I have tried an failed to make a decent Kori sub. It is very difficult. I found the bleach tends to leak into the feathers too much and you loose those sharp fine dots that you get on natural Kori. I also tried using a lighter feather and using a blocker to resist a darker dye. Again, the spots are so fine that this technique doesn't really work either.
As Marc said, you are better just hunting around and trying to find a natural sub. Passable turkey and peacock wing feathers can be found from time to time.
As Andrew said, Cookshill occassionally have some decent Kori in stock.

steve48

Reaction score
Hi Marc And Fruin Thank you both for the reply the problem i have with bustard is the cost and citties, peacock for me i find too short and some fibres won,t marry well, i only use my flies for fishing i don,t display my flies as i don,t thin there good enough also if i am too greedy to get the fly in one spot the trees seam to take great delight in grabbing them hence the need for subs, anything on the citties list i try to stay clear of thats just me so no offence ment to anyone or anything it,s just how my brain works. I have attached a photo again of two feathers one on the left is peacock the one on the right is bronze turkey that i attacked with bleach powder and a dog brush the bit in the middle is bleached bronze turkey and yellow turkey they married well, could you please pass comment if you think that both feathers look the same as the bleached bronze turkey tail will over come the problem of the feather being readily available, long in fibre upto 75mm in length and cheap

Attachments

• IMG_20220110_115704_834.jpg
    IMG_20220110_115704_834.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25