Kola river 2020

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Prime time on N Kola’s rivers is mid June. In my opinion the Kola is one the top northern rivers.
Over last few years theirs been some big changes and last year the climax for some
Now the lodge has full zone 3 exclusive. 2 rods float different zone each day. With the home pool for evening fishing if you wish. This is a No Helicopter river and a 45 min drive from Murmansk.
Should anyone be interested in fishing 13 to 19 June 2020, plz send me a pm.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Hi Scotmac 1

Out of curiosity and I hope you dont mind.What does a trip like this cost and is June a good time for fishing.
I know we see a lot of the large outfitters advertising these trips or is this something you have done before yourself and you organize.
Cheers
Sewinfly............

lefthandup

Reaction score
I'm sure you can do a week on the Kola for around 3k.

I may be wrong but I'll find out.

Tangled

Reaction score
It's about £4,500 or thereabouts for that week. Plus flights, plus tips. Food and beer included.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I'm sure you can do a week on the Kola for around 3k.

I may be wrong but I'll find out.
Myself and several other forum members did that last season.
Forget it, nothing short of a disaster. We ended up fishing day ticket water along with the locals, it was a disorganised farce through Chavanga Fishing. Vasil, the owner, promised us an explanation in July. Still waiting.
If you are thinking about the Kola, go for the O.P.s lodge. 100% private water with a much higher chance of more and better fish. Comes with a premium though of 6000 euro plus flights, etc.

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
Just been quoted 2,150 euro for the second week in June...I've no idea what zone or whereabouts on the river but it's a reliable company.

rotenone

Reaction score
The kola river underwent a lot of changes in 2018 , changes that were not fully disclosed to the clients until we arrived.

It lead to many clients on the river being very disappointed , have to say it was not just the chavanga operators but the Icelandic operators clients who felt this way also , I heard everybody had a bad time, to compound matters theres was an unusually low amount of salmon in early June compared to previous years.

What is normal on the Kola river is rather basic camp and food conditions but a healthy run of very large salmon and normally very good fishing make up for it.

This year I never even got to fish any of the famous pools like Iron bridge, cemetery, kitsa junction or even Monica.

So to sum up 2018 Kola basically it was a shambles, what I had organised 2 team groups to fish different pools each day was basically scrapped and we were left the pickings.

I can't return or recommend the Kola river under such conditions to anyone and I have been a true advocate of the the fishing there as I have seen the potential it has I have never caught a fish smaller then 20lb on my visits yet and seen fish as large as 40lb caught.

The lodge upstream is a different operation so I cannot speak for there. But as things are you cannot go to the regular Kola camps on a normal fishing holiday ie with relaxation, planning because of the changes that were made.

The river is under Russian control and it was better when Arni had it .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it was better when Arnie had it.
Last year was basically the end for the operators on the lower part of Zone 3. The Lodge bought all the licences
Now the lodge control the Full Zone 3 exclusive. At times if their are free licences then the lodge will sell licence to smaller operators.
Since the lodge has taken more control the poaching is way down. The rivers controlled by drones watching the pools that had bad netting Their is much more control and maintenance happening now that never happened when Arnie had lodge
Iv fished it for 9 years now. Before always on the cheaper options. Last year I knew the big change was going to happen. I mentioned it on the post last year. And due to the changes I moved and went to the lodge. My average is 15 to 20 fish for my week. Always mid June. Unfortunately my biggest 28. And my fish are average 14 to 20 in general. And normally 1 or 2 over 30.
Yes it’s not cheap. But if you want exclusive fishing and single room luxury cabin then Kola lodge probably don’t get better.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Ohh. And yes last year was a poor return. It was the 4th year after bad disease hit the Kola. As I said my average is norm 14 to 20. Last year I had 7. Biggest 28. And also last year was first time no one got anything over 30.

rotenone

Reaction score
Ohh. And yes last year was a poor return. It was the 4th year after bad disease hit the Kola. As I said my average is norm 14 to 20. Last year I had 7. Biggest 28. And also last year was first time no one got anything over 30.
I am glad you made these posts scotsmac as it backs up what I told my friends who fished there with me this year , maybe I will try the private lodge but in previous years gone by I had the quality of fishing on kola 3 that you talk about for under 2000 it's a shame my party got the worst of it as we both know the potential of the river.

You cant blame people the overall experience we had was terrible could not describe it as a fishing holoday, I will try the upper lodge with you one season

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

happy days

Reaction score
Well I've took a chance and bought the ticket, flying oslo to kirkenes then over the border by car, no Russian airports or choppers, chance of a big,un, still some specs left if anyone fancies it :)

keirstream

Reaction score
Well I've took a chance and bought the ticket, flying oslo to kirkenes then over the border by car, no Russian airports or choppers, chance of a big,un, still some specs left if anyone fancies it :)
Still chasing the dream?????
Deposit paid, flights, accommodation and taxi to Murmansk booked. Just need to survive the winter.:)
I will catch up on a Thursday in June with you in the Thon Hotel in Kirkenes at which point the adventure continues.:)
Surely this time it will all fall into place and the 15-20kg fish that the river is famous for will play the game with us??
Haud oan tae ma braces min.:lol::lol:

Last edited:

Barentssalmon

Reaction score
Not meaning to be a party stopper, but it is worth informing that there is a relatively recent discovery of the dreaded Gyrodactylus salaris parasite on the Tuloma river about a year ago. The Tuloma is the big river that shares the estuary with the Kola (the roadbridge crossing the estuary when you drive from Kirkenes to Murmansk). This means that it is a question of time before the mighty Kola is infected as well as the parasite spreads quickly in fresh and brackish waters through movements of infected fish. Russian fishery authorities have cooperated with Norwegian fish health authorities on the diagnostics. See report in Norwegian: Veterinaerinstituttet har diagnostisert lakseparasitten Gyrodactylus salaris i det nordlige Russland Run a google translate and you get the main points. As far as I understand, it has been conducted lab tests also showing that the gyro is of the lethal type ;-(. WHat this means? Everybody fishing Kola must be very careful disinfecting their gear after leaving Kola. And most likely, anglers are fishing a stock of wild salmon that might be on the brink of extinction in a decade's time from now. I have not heard what brought the parasite, but rainbow trout fish farms with infected fish in interior Russia is a suspect. Rainbow trout with Gyro has previously been found in Finland near the border to Russia.

G

guest2938

That’s very disappointing news for Russian rivers Barentssalmon.

I hope that whatever the extent it can be controlled and not escalate into something more worrying.

Sadly, I’ll never make that trip to Russia to fish as my pockets will never go deep enough and my passion for the sport is on the wane.

DCH

Tangled

Reaction score
That's potentially bad news for all of us. If pink salmon there get infected and continue to migrate into our our rivers they'll bring it with them.

There doesn't seem to be much information on that, though what there is seems to suggest it's not a known problem.

Last edited:
G

guest2938

As long as those that travel are extremely disciplined on the disinfectant process then no drama. Since I’d imagine, those who have the disposable income to travel and fish such place, would also opt to fish in the more productive rivers in the uk and north of Scotland, it would be disastrous and another nail in the coffin for our rivers if GS made its way here. It’s maybe therefore a blessing that the majority are priced out of travelling.

DCH

G

guest2938

That's potentially bad news for all of us. If pink salmon there get infected and continue to migrate into our our rivers they'll bring it with them.

There doesn't seem to be much information on that, though what there is seems to suggest it's not a known problem.
That’s a good point

DCH

Loxie

Reaction score

I don't think GS can survive full salt water so that isn't a problem. I think it can be spread by wildfowl and that could be very serious.

The big problem with GS is its a very slow burn. It can take 10 years before parasite levels reach a point where they cause mortality, then suddenly all the parr die. By this time it will likely have been spread far and wide. There is no cure, the only way is to poison the whole river and start again. I'm sure our Norwegian correspondents will tell us how hard it is in practice to eliminate.