Ken Sawada semi free hook rig

rotenone

Reaction score
This is the way I rig all my longer body tube flies.
A simple process that means the hook and junction tubing leave the tube when a fish is in play, less fish are lost then when a hook is pushed into the back of 3mm tubing, because the leverage is greatly reduced.
It also means you can tie on a much stiffer plastic tube giving more durability, when tying on plastic tubes I only tie on wide diameter 3mm or so, the wing holds a better shape in the water , and materials like monkey or polar bear want to roll or flare on thinner tubes.

1.I tie the whole fly as normal leaving the traditional undressed part when the hook would normally sit, its important to do that so you can keep an eye for proportion.
2. When the fly is finished cut off the hard plastic tube flush at the rear of the fly retain this as a measure , melt the end of a 1.8 mm liner tube, add a touch of loctite and push it through the larger tube until a few mm is exposed out of back of the 3mm, trim if required.
3. Carefully melt a rim on the exposed 1.8mm, this will grip the soft 3mm silicone.
4. Measure a piece of clear soft tube 3mm in diameter against the piece you removed from the back of the fly cut it as straight as possible.
5. The small piece of silicone gets pushed over the back of the exposed 1.8mm and the hook inserted.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_093818_edit_445533738894516.jpg
    IMG_20210328_093818_edit_445533738894516.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20210328_093710_edit_445511911617436.jpg
    IMG_20210328_093710_edit_445511911617436.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20210328_094313.jpg
    IMG_20210328_094313.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
This is the way I rig all my longer body tube flies.
A simple process that means the hook and junction tubing leave the the tube when a fish is in play, less fish are lost then when a hook is pushed into the back 3mm tubing, because there leverage is greatly reduced.
It also mean you can on a much stiffer plastic tube giving more durability, when tying on plastic tubes I only tie on wide diameter 3mm or so, the wing holds a better shape in the water , and materials like monkey or polar bear want to roll or flare on thinner tubes.

1.I tie the whole fly as normal leaving the traditional undressed part when the hook would normally sit, its important to do that so you can keep an eye for proportion.
2. When the fly is finished cut off the hard plastic tube flush at the rear of the fly retain this as a measure , melt the end of a 1.8 mm liner tube, add a touch of loctite and push it through the larger tube until a few mm is exposed out of back of the 3mm, trim if required.
3. Carefully melt a rim on the exposed 1.8mm, this will grip the soft 3mm silicone.
4. Measure a piece of clear soft tube 3mm in diameter against the piece you removed from the back of the fly cut it as straight as possible.
5. The small piece of silicone gets pushed over the back of the exposed 1.8mm and the hook inserted.
Do you make an allowance for the hook knot when measuring the silicone tube ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

rotenone

Reaction score
Do you make an allowance for the hook knot when measuring the silicone tube ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Yes you have to, but in reality I don't even think about anymore, it's an important point I forget to mention I regularly use 40lb plus breaking strain, it's almost impossible to get that into the back of 3mm tube they are too hard