Just an Opinion from the Hinterlands;

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I write as just another viewer / fisherman type here. Given the fact that last I looked the post 'Massive Cock' had garnered 162 replies and I am responsible for 2 of them myself. Now the opinion, I don't think we should grab random images off the internet like the ones I've seen recently. There's the Norway fish and another that caused a dust up over a big salmon slayed on some UK river. The inference was that the fish was snagged / snatched.

I could find all sort of tasteless images associated with fly fishing in America and randomly post them for comment or debate. Lets face it, there are far more people in America than the UK, Norway, Finland and other countries combined and thus more tasteless anglers documenting their exploits to the internet. I must ask you though what good would that do if I were to start dredging the depths of offensive images and starting threads with them as the topic?

Just saying that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We have our own fish to fry (so to say) low waters, floodings, sparce runs and the occasional great day so why post about people we don't even know?

chriswjx

Reaction score
I write as just another viewer / fisherman type here. Given the fact that last I looked the post 'Massive Cock' had garnered 162 replies and I am responsible for 2 of them myself. Now the opinion, I don't think we should grab random images off the internet like the ones I've seen recently. There's the Norway fish and another that caused a dust up over a big salmon slayed on some UK river. The inference was that the fish was snagged / snatched.

I could find all sort of tasteless images associated with fly fishing in America and randomly post them for comment or debate. Lets face it, there are far more people in America than the UK, Norway, Finland and other countries combined and thus more tasteless anglers documenting their exploits to the internet. I must ask you though what good would that do if I were to start dredging the depths of offensive images and starting threads with them as the topic?

Just saying that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We have our own fish to fry (so to say) low waters, floodings, sparce runs and the occasional great day so why post about people we don't even know?

Think I was guilty of that a while ago with a discussion on Americans' targeting spawning fish (trout, bass, salmon etc)

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Personally I think the picture of the jigged fish should have stayed up as it brings attention to stuff like that going on on certain rivers, if you ignore and hide the images your helping the poachers so better bring attention to it so they get caught.

charlieH

Reaction score
I write as just another viewer / fisherman type here. Given the fact that last I looked the post 'Massive Cock' had garnered 162 replies and I am responsible for 2 of them myself. Now the opinion, I don't think we should grab random images off the internet like the ones I've seen recently.

If the images were indeed random, I might agree with you. However, IMO they were very far from random; they sit absolutely front and centre in issues that are relevant and germane to salmon fishing - which is after all the raison d'etre of this forum.

There's plenty of stuff posted here that I think could be called random, but images that initiate discussions around the killing of large salmon and its possible conservation implications, or allegations of illegal fishing methods and the failure of our authorities to tackle such activity, are surely a valid use of the bandwidth of a Salmon Fishing Forum aren't they? And I can't see why we should limit ourselves to stuff that we might generate first-hand either; after all, that would mean we wouldn't post and share relevant news articles, or indeed the stuff like reports and press releases from organisations like the S&TA that are copied here via Thomas Turner. This place exists to share information and enable exchanges of opinion on all matters relating to salmon fishing, whatever the source may happen to be - and I think both those images undoubtedly meet the criterion of relevance.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Banned
Reaction score
Can I ask ….1) has somebody reported the thread? … and 2) if so, what were their reasons?

Admin must be a tough gig Hardyreels,

DCH

Elibank

Reaction score
This place exists to share information and enable exchanges of opinion on all matters relating to salmon fishing, whatever the source may happen to be - and I think both those images undoubtedly meet the criterion of relevance.
Totally agree @charlieH ..the post and images in question certainly met the criterion of relevance for me, certainly more than random articles about barbel and bream fishing - this is a salmon forum, after all.